ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

waiting time for ILR under 14 years rule and citizenship

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

chorc123

waiting time for ILR under 14 years rule and citizenship

Post by chorc123 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:11 pm

Would anybody know about the waiting time for 14 years ILR application? Also, the path to citizenship?
We have been waiting for 6 months but no news at all. We have 2 british citizens kids 11 and 13. We have contacted our MP because our solicitor doesn't want to push it just after 6 months. We desparately need to find a proper jobs to support ourselves.
Any ideas?
Thank you.

bb21

Post by bb21 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:28 am

If you don't have British residency how does your children have British citizenship? or am I missing something here?

foxy

Post by foxy » Tue Aug 10, 2010 5:47 am

You could get more replies speaking to the members participating in this thread.

Beige
- thin ice -

Post by Beige » Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:20 pm

bb21 wrote:If you don't have British residency how does your children have British citizenship? or am I missing something here?
If he's been here for over 14 years, his kids may have born here. If they were, then they could have been registered as britsh citzens on the basis that they've spent the first 10 years of their life in the UK.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:05 pm

If he's been here for over 14 years, his kids may have born here. If they were, then they could have been registered as britsh citzens on the basis that they've spent the first 10 years of their life in the UK.[/quote]

Yes. that's I am asking. I want to know how long will it take for ILR and citizenship in future.
Anybody has similar experience??
Thanks.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:05 pm

Beige wrote:
bb21 wrote:If you don't have British residency how does your children have British citizenship? or am I missing something here?
If he's been here for over 14 years, his kids may have born here. If they were, then they could have been registered as britsh citzens on the basis that they've spent the first 10 years of their life in the UK.
Section 1(4) - children who have lived in the United Kingdom for the first 10 years of their life
The child will have an entitlement to register under section 1(4) of the British Nationality Act 1981 if they were born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983 and lived in there for the first ten years of their life. Applications under this section of the British Nationality Act 1981 should be made using application form T. You should read can I register as a British citizen if I was born in the United Kingdom on or after 1 January 1983 and lived there up to the age of 10 for details on the requirements you need to meet.
BUT
Section 3(1) applications - children born in the United Kingdom to parents who are not settled in the United Kingdom and are not British citizens
Registration in this category will be at our discretion, if we believe it is reasonable under the circumstances and will be under section 3(1) of the British Nationality Act 1981. There are no formal requirements the child needs to meet providing they are under 18 at the time of application and are of good character if they are over 10 years of age. The application should be accompanied by as much evidence as possible to show us why the child should be registered as a British citizen.
How long do you have to wait for an ILR applied on 14 years basis?

How long is a piece of string!?! It's ridulous that your solicitor refuses to complain at the 6 month mark. My solicitor complained shortly before this without prompting from me. You did the right thing by getting your MP involved.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:22 pm

My 2 children got British Citizenships last year. Then, we received acknowledgement letter on 11/02/10. So, six months on, no news at all. We have contacted our MP last week, but no news again. We have rang the solicitor few weeks ago, but he said we have to wait more than a year before he would send a letter to HO for an update. Therefore, we are in very desparate situation.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:28 pm

chorc123 wrote:My 2 children got British Citizenships last year. Then, we received acknowledgement letter on 11/02/10. So, six months on, no news at all. We have contacted our MP last week, but no news again. We have rang the solicitor few weeks ago, but he said we have to wait more than a year before he would send a letter to HO for an update. Therefore, we are in very desparate situation.
I hate to tell you this but your solicitor is an idiot, he's got your money and now is taking you for a ride. You do not have to wait a year for an update. You are allowed to contact UKBA after 14 weeks (which is pointless). After 6 months you have the right to complain. No-one can survive a year without no means of income.

Has your MP contacted you? Are they taking action?

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:36 pm

If your solicitor is OISC registered report him: http://www.oisc.gov.uk/

People think because you are an illegal immigrant they can treat you anyway they want. You don't have to take that, no-one has the right to treat you as a second class citizen. You've paid taxes, been law abiding, contributed to your community and not claimed off the state. Therefore while they're deciding your fate you have the same rights as any other immigrant.

chorc123

Post by chorc123 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:47 pm

Yes, he is OISC registered. We did not has any news from MP yet.
14 years rule does not mean people did intend to stay here illegally at the first place. My family is an example. We were misleaded by another solicitor few years ago while we were still legal and end up on 14 years rule. We lost a lot money over those years. Anyway, I just hope to put everthing right and lead onto normal life.
Therefore, if anybody has any experience with this rule. Please let me know.

kiwigirl25
Member of Standing

Post by kiwigirl25 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:52 pm

chorc123 wrote:Yes, he is OISC registered. We did not has any news from MP yet.
14 years rule does not mean people did intend to stay here illegally at the first place. My family is an example. We were misleaded by another solicitor few years ago while we were still legal and end up on 14 years rule. We lost a lot money over those years. Anyway, I just hope to put everthing right and lead onto normal life.
Therefore, if anybody has any experience with this rule. Please let me know.
I am talking from experience. I've been waiting for 7 months and requested my MP get involved, which he did last week.

I agree your comment that people don't intend to stay here illegally. I never set out to do it, I didn't arrive here and immediately think "I know, I will become an illegal immigrant... just for fun" It was due to "circumstance" that part of my stay was illegal.

If you check out the link that foxy kindly posted you will be able to read other 14 year applicants' experiences.