ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

non eu spouse working in uk

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

untame274
Newly Registered

Post by untame274 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:35 am

Hie, I am a non eu (resident in ireland) married to a naturalized irish citizen. I am a IT contractor in ireland. I plan to go to scotland or london to work in the IT sector. My question is after reading certain areas in the forum the info is amazing awashed so to say,can decide which it is. What do I need to work inthe uk? What do I apply for? I am aware my wife does not need one but after what I read I believe I need a family permit or something to that in order to work in the uk. I would appreciate it if I have link to a form or info which I am able to apply for it before I leave ireland so I have the right documentation. Any feedback is much appreciated. [/b]

JAJ
Australia

Re: non eu spouse working in uk

Post by JAJ » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:19 am

untame274 wrote:Hie, I am a non eu (resident in ireland) married to a naturalized irish citizen. I am a IT contractor in ireland. I plan to go to scotland or london to work in the IT sector. My question is after reading certain areas in the forum the info is amazing awashed so to say,can decide which it is. What do I need to work inthe uk? What do I apply for? I am aware my wife does not need one but after what I read I believe I need a family permit or something to that in order to work in the uk. I would appreciate it if I have link to a form or info which I am able to apply for it before I leave ireland so I have the right documentation. Any feedback is much appreciated.
1. Visit http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk
2. As an Irish citizen your wife can sponsor for a regular spouse visa as well as an EEA Family Permit. There are pros and cons to both approaches.
3. Have you thought about getting your Irish citizenship before leaving (would avoid the need for visas).
4. Your wife should make herself familiar with the obligations on naturalised Irish citizens resident outside the Republic of Ireland to register annually an intention to retain citizenship, although I don't know how actively these rules are enforced.

untame274
Newly Registered

Post by untame274 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

JAJ,
Thanks for the reply, I am about 3 yrs away for the citizenship so till then it is a different route. I looked at the link you placed for the visas. That is more like living in uk not working in uk. How would i go for the eea family permit as a eu citizen(wife) can she sponsor as you said and would you have a link? Well when it comes to maintining the citizenship, yes she woule go back probably for 1 week or so every year and then back again to keep the irish citizenship going as my daughter is a irish citizen as well.Wether they check I was looking for some info but could not find any,i suppose there is no hard and fast rules to it that i came across. I was going to get some contracting work in IT in uk and then wait the 5 yrs to get ILR and obtain Uk citizenship as i want to set a ltd company in uk.
would appreciate the info

thanks
untame274

JAJ
Australia

Re: non eu spouse working in uk

Post by JAJ » Fri Mar 31, 2006 3:03 am

untame274 wrote:JAJ,
Thanks for the reply, I am about 3 yrs away for the citizenship so till then it is a different route.
Have you really looked into this? As far as I know, the residence requirement is 3 years if married to an Irish citizen.

I looked at the link you placed for the visas. That is more like living in uk not working in uk. How would i go for the eea family permit as a eu citizen(wife) can she sponsor as you said and would you have a link?

Before you get too fixated on the EEA family permit remember something important: it's 5 years to permanent residence (ILR) with this visa. If you go for a regular UK spouse visa, it's normally 2 years.

Well when it comes to maintining the citizenship, yes she woule go back probably for 1 week or so every year and then back again to keep the irish citizenship going as my daughter is a irish citizen as well.Wether they check I was looking for some info but could not find any,i suppose there is no hard and fast rules to it that i came across.
There are specific rules in the Irish nationality legislation:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_nationality_law

untame274
Newly Registered

Family EEA Permit Expiring

Post by untame274 » Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:59 am

Hi, I have a valid family EEA permit due to expire in March 2014.
1. Is it the right time to apply for Permanent residence now?
2. If it is , what documents do I need to do this?
3. If it isnt when should I apply for it the Permanent Residence as I dont want it to lapse and then realize it should have been initiated earlier.

Thanks
Harold D'cruz