ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Application concerns

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

moocifer
Newly Registered

Application concerns

Post by moocifer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:06 pm

Does anybody here have any recent experience of applying for a "UK settlement visa" for their spouse in Beijing, China ??

I am a UK national, she is a Chinese national. We are both what I would class as "normal people". I'm fairly confident that we provided ample evidence and information as to the validity of our marriage and genuine nature of our wish to get on and lead regular lives so I am wondering how long does it actually take to process such a seemingly simple application ..

Also after reading many horror stories I am growing increasingly fearful that my wife will be inexplicably refused entry. Are my concerns reasonable or is this just unhelpful negative thinking on my part ??

It is difficult not to worry though when separated from the woman you love by thousands of miles ..

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:01 pm

Need to be patient, you should be OK if all your documentation is in order.
Stress is normal reaction when parted from loved ones
Last edited by mochyn on Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:04 pm

moocifer
Newly Registered

Post by moocifer » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:25 pm

Yes we are trying to be patient however using the "Guide to Processing Times" stats that are published monthly .. (thanks for the link but already knew about them and have been watching since April 2010)

In June 2010:

-amazingly 5 settlement visas were processed within 2 days
-a further 15 settlement visas were processed within 30 days
-leaving only 4 settlement visas that took longer than 30 days to process

Now this makes me start to think many worrying things .. such as how can a settlement visa possibly be sorted in 2 days and if that is actually possible why did 4 take longer than 30 working days. Finally for such an ordinary case as ours why are we now on Day 29 !?

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:50 pm

it is a question of asking and getting answers to all enquiries they may have e.g they phone a bank and get an immediate reply or the person they need to contact is not available andwith different time zones it my take longer.
A very frustrating process

moocifer
Newly Registered

Post by moocifer » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:22 pm

I found out today that nobody from the UKBA has been in contact with my company at all - neither my manager or my HR department ..

This has certainly made me wonder what checking if any has gone on for the past 30 days ??

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:41 am

moocifer wrote:I found out today that nobody from the UKBA has been in contact with my company at all - neither my manager or my HR department ..

This has certainly made me wonder what checking if any has gone on for the past 30 days ??
You should consider your self lucky that only 30 days of lapsed, how do you think people from Pakistan feels when they take 4 months or so. I think you need to bit a lot more patient as worrying only increases your stress level.

There can be numerous reasons why one case takes longer than others as its very rare that you find two identical circumstances. Like someone has said if you have provided the correct and genuine documents , then you have nothing to worry about......apart from being a little more patient.The time lengths you mention are guidelines and its very rare they turn out to be true 8) :wink:

paracetamol
Newly Registered

Post by paracetamol » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:59 am

Hi Batleykhan... is it necessary that they call your workplace? I heard they don't always do? I am also worried as mine hasn't been contacted either.

moocifer
Newly Registered

Post by moocifer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:54 am

batleykhan wrote: You should consider your self lucky that only 30 days of lapsed, how do you think people from Pakistan feels when they take 4 months or so. I think you need to bit a lot more patient as worrying only increases your stress level.

There can be numerous reasons why one case takes longer than others as its very rare that you find two identical circumstances. Like someone has said if you have provided the correct and genuine documents , then you have nothing to worry about......apart from being a little more patient.The time lengths you mention are guidelines and its very rare they turn out to be true 8) :wink:
Whilst I appreciate the sentiment, when you see 80% of cases for the previous month taking less than 30 days and some taking a mere 2 or 3 days it is almost impossible not to feel concerned, especially when you know of know good earthly reason why your own case could even remotely be complicated.

My wife is not from Pakistan hence making a comparison to another country is also not particularly helpful. I am only going on the official figures provided and so from what we were led to expect prior to submitting our application.

Therefore as our case has now reached the very slowest category, for China, of processing I think it is more than expected for me to be this distressed as much as I am trying to be patient.

As I'm sure many people can empathise with, each passing day I am missing my wife more.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:25 am

You seem to be thinking that because your wife is Chinese you will have problems but the only thing that the UKBA are concerned with is documentation.
That and the number of applications that they deal with, is the reason for the delay in processing.My wife waited a long time for her visa and that was from China too.
I spent many unhappy days until she got the phone call saying to go to the UKBA office as have many others, some months some years later.
You just have to wait like the rest of us
Rome was not built in a day

moocifer
Newly Registered

Post by moocifer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:47 am

mochyn wrote:You seem to be thinking that because your wife is Chinese you will have problems but the only thing that the UKBA are concerned with is documentation.
No not at all. I actually feel the delay is due to UKBA incompetence and inefficiency.
mochyn wrote: I spent many unhappy days until she got the phone call saying to go to the UKBA office as have many others, some months some years later.
My concern is why exactly does it take so long .. a process that involves checking and yet after 30 days they have not even contacted my workplace. Explain that, please. Also why is it deemed acceptable that a bunch of gov't penpushers have the right to put people's life on hold without feeling the need to explain their actions or reasoning. Obviously I am only ever going to have to experience this situation once but now that I have I think it is a disgrace.
mochyn wrote: Rome was not built in a day
No it wasn't .. but I bet the builders started work on the first day and were accountable to the Senate - who didn't accept as an excuse "wait 12 weeks before even thinking about contacting us with your enquiry".

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:11 pm

Your wife's application is not the only one being processed. There is a queue. It may be that they didn't get to yours yet so that's why you're waiting "so long." In America for example unexpedited applications can take up to 4 months to process. My point is, it takes a long time everywhere especially from June-August as there are a lot of student visas being processed at the moment too.

blessed78
Newly Registered

Post by blessed78 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:50 pm

It's the time of year, and the fact people are rushing to submit applications now before changes come in, perhaps. Times EVERYWHERE go up in June/July... Australia is taking three months. And I haven't seen my husband in six. You aren't the only one!

Also, I always think the fast decisions are probably straightforward refusals, ie, missing documents, broken immigration laws and automatic refusal etc.

blessed78
Newly Registered

Post by blessed78 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:52 pm

... and not everyone's workplace is called.

moocifer
Newly Registered

Post by moocifer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:54 pm

blessed78 wrote:... and not everyone's workplace is called.
Really !? Figured that was an obvious route for them to follow. Thanks for the info.

moocifer
Newly Registered

Post by moocifer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:55 pm

blessed78 wrote: Also, I always think the fast decisions are probably straightforward refusals, ie, missing documents, broken immigration laws and automatic refusal etc.
If that is the case (it had crossed my mind) I'm not sure its particularly helpful of the UKBA to display statistics that don't distinguish between successful and failed applicants.

blessed78
Newly Registered

Post by blessed78 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:01 pm

No, it's not. But you're starting out from the premise that they exist to be helpful. Which is a a false one.
:?

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:27 pm

You must also be aware that if they let Joe Public phone up asking how the application is progressing it will delay the process as they will spend an inordinate time on the phone talking to every Tom, Dick Harry.
This why they will NOT entertain anyone phoning up within 14 weeks of application

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:36 pm

Statistics certainly fluctuate depending on the time of year, with student applications high during the summer months. Also I would expect spouse applications to be higher at present with couples anxious to beat the deadline for the proposed English language tests.

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:46 pm

All I can say to OP is that I hope your wifes visa is succesful first time around, because God help you if they refuse her for some reasons or other.

You will be seperated for a minimum 8-10 months as thats how long it will take to drag through the appeal procedure. :roll:

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:50 pm

batleykhan wrote:All I can say to OP is that I hope your wifes visa is succesful first time around, because God help you if they refuse her for some reasons or other.

You will be seperated for a minimum 8-10 months as thats how long it will take to drag through the appeal procedure. :roll:
too true

It took my wife exactly one year to arrive from China as I had mucked up the accommodation section

moocifer
Newly Registered

Post by moocifer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:02 pm

Casa wrote:Statistics certainly fluctuate depending on the time of year, with student applications high during the summer months. Also I would expect spouse applications to be higher at present with couples anxious to beat the deadline for the proposed English language tests.
Yes this concern did also cross my mind as we completed our online application just prior to these announcements. Great timing !!

moocifer
Newly Registered

Post by moocifer » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:04 pm

mochyn wrote: too true

It took my wife exactly one year to arrive from China as I had mucked up the accommodation section
Oh goodness !!

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:55 pm

moocifer wrote:
Casa wrote:Statistics certainly fluctuate depending on the time of year, with student applications high during the summer months. Also I would expect spouse applications to be higher at present with couples anxious to beat the deadline for the proposed English language tests.
Yes this concern did also cross my mind as we completed our online application just prior to these announcements. Great timing !!
Dont worry about this as it doesnt come into force till November sometime

moocifer
Newly Registered

Post by moocifer » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:42 pm

SUCCESS !! 8)

The UKBA informed me via email that they had made a decision last week and my wife received her "Entry Clearance" visa & returned passport today.

I am a little surprised no guiding documentation came with it. No instructions as to what to do next and what she needs to bring to the airport to pass through customs.

Also, having gone through the biometric scanning process, should she not receive a Foreign Nationals ID card automatically ?? Or does the "Entry Clearance " visa allow her unlimited exit/entry during its 27 month period ??