ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

is visa rejected on surname issue ??????

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

angel1986
Newly Registered

is visa rejected on surname issue ??????

Post by angel1986 » Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:04 pm

My passport shows

first name : ravneet singh
last name :( not mentioned )

but my CAS shows

first name : ravneet
last name : singh

I have filled the visa form as first name : ravneet
last name : singh

can this lead to rejection of application........my date of vfs appointment is 16 aug.
please advise.

bb21

Re: is visa rejected on surname issue ??????

Post by bb21 » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:14 am

IIRC Singh is not a proper surname in Sikh culture (assuming you're Sikh that is) but as real surnames are not normally disclosed to the general public in Western cultures we have accepted them (and Kaur) as surnames.

I would think that it would not be a problem, unless the caseworker is THAT stupid.

kindofblue
Newly Registered

Re: is visa rejected on surname issue ??????

Post by kindofblue » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:55 pm

bb21 wrote:IIRC Singh is not a proper surname in Sikh culture (assuming you're Sikh that is) but as real surnames are not normally disclosed to the general public in Western cultures we have accepted them (and Kaur) as surnames.
Sorry I don't think this has issue got to do with "proper surnames" and practices of a specific community. The passport and visa forms expect a name in the first name and last name fields. These names could be your family names/surnames/caste names/your favourite fruit/whatever - as long as it's consistent in all documents.

I would differ slightly and advice you to be consistent with your passport. If possible ask the uni for a new CAS. It's all electronic and presumably can be regenerated at a short notice.

angel1986
Newly Registered

Post by angel1986 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:35 pm

thanks for the response

I had read somewhere that not having a surname on the visa issued would create problems later while filling forms in UK as in some forms surname is required. ( and i would have a visa showing no surname )

I do have a US tourist visa which was sanctioned stating name: ravneet and last name : singh even though passport has them both written as first name.

so i thought maybe filling the form in this format would not hamper the visa.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:40 pm

angel1986 wrote:I had read somewhere that not having a surname on the visa issued would create problems later while filling forms in UK as in some forms surname is required. ( and i would have a visa showing no surname )
Never had any problem whatsoever .... personal experience.

This said, I agree with kingofblue.

regards

angel1986
Newly Registered

Post by angel1986 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 6:21 am

sushdmehta wrote:Never had any problem whatsoever .... personal experience.
Did you also have surname/lastname blank in passport and then later in all forms ........ ??

thanks for ur response :)

kindofblue
Newly Registered

Post by kindofblue » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:04 am

angel1986 wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:
Never had any problem whatsoever .... personal experience.

Did you also have surname/lastname blank in passport and then later in all forms ........ ??

thanks for ur response :)
I have no surname. VIsited UK several times on visitor visas. I don't have any experiences with forms/procedures whilst I was there but as far as the visa is concerned it's not an issue.

That said, in the academia you need a second name because that's how your publications are going to be know. I plan to get a name change to include a second name once I'm in the UK.

angel1986
Newly Registered

Post by angel1986 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:43 pm

I checked with the university and they say that -it is a regulation that we have to use a surname for students when we create their CAS so we would not actually be able to put Singh as part of your first name without having a surname – it is the UK Border Agency that sets the regulations so it should be fine as they say a surname has to be used...

So its clear that a new CAS can not be issued .

Should I add a note in the space which they give for additional information or simply submit and presume they will understand :?

jellybeans_xx
Newly Registered

Damn

Post by jellybeans_xx » Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Hi all! I have the same frickin issue this year with my name on passport/CAS! I have already applied for a visa though.. today. What would you suggest? My brother didn't have trouble getting an American visa with this problem.. UKBA is stricter? I'm worried they might reject my visa :(