ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

5 years for ILR rule implemented

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:46 pm

Hope they can let you attend the training at a reasonable rate or free, it seems that they have some considerable concerns - well, they have the duty I suppose. At least they replied my email just in few hours. not like many other organisations, either suggested me someone else or didn;t want to take responsibility, or some didn;t reply at all...

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:34 am

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:49 am

RobF, if you can get concession, I am happy to share some cost. Can PM yr address. The training I think would mainly be a review, they are all practioners so I presume they will be very careful in wording although I believe they have had the concerns, but will be really good if we have a voice there. For the people behind you, I have at least 10 friends affected + 1 dependant + myself so 100 is a very conservative figure... good luck hope they can get you in... cheers!

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:58 am

Was the the paper ‘Controlling Our Borders: the Five Year Strategy for Asylum and Immigration’ announced in February 2002 or Feb 05? I thought it's last year, but On the petition it says 02 may need to correct. or I am wrong?

Rogerio

Post by Rogerio » Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 am

I am sure that the BBC Watchdog would be interested in your story...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/tv_and_ra ... ndex.shtml

Rogerio

sumuhan
Newly Registered

Post by sumuhan » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:58 am

Smit wrote:Kavik,

Before you start panicking, remember all is not lost if you can't get an appointment at a PEO with your tight timelines.

You can always post your application say in the next week and you will be fine as long as the application reaches IND before 3rd April 2006 and is considered by them after the 3 years 11 months period.

My advice to you would be to post the application rather than running around to PEO's in panic mode.

Smit
The question and answer document says as long as you appy before 3rd of April old rules will apply And it also says 'Date of the application is the date of postage. So I think Kavik would be fine even if he posts this on the 1 of April because if doesn't matter when they receive it. It is the date of postage that matters. Do you agree Smit? I will be completing 3 years and 11 months on the 8 of April. But I am going to Gamble and post my application on the 1st of April and hope that the case worker considers it after the 10th of April (that is when it is 28 days before 4 years) What do you think of my chances please? :)

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:35 am

TintinHerge

Post by TintinHerge » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:47 pm

I have a query regarding these new rules :

Time after which one can apply for ILR has been increased from 4 years to 5. Has time after which someone who has ILR can apply for British Citizenship changed too (or about to change)?

Please note my question is only relevant to HSMP or Work Permit holders

So, Current Scenario :
4 Years = ILR
ILR + 1 Year = British Citizenship

New Scenario :
5 Years = ILR
ILR + How many years = British Citizenship

Thanks in advance for your help

tvt

Post by tvt » Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:58 pm

It'll still be ILR + one year = citizenship. However the overall period to gain citizenship will be 6 (5 for ILR) + 1.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

TintinHerge

Post by TintinHerge » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:04 pm

Thanks - I thought the same too but I was talking to someone who said it "might" be increased to 5+2 . Dont know how he got that information from.

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:11 pm

I heard the rumor too and nowadays everything can happen overnight with the current efficiency! that;s why we really have to push hard to win the campaign otherwise it can take forever...

FKarim

My correspondence with the Home Office

Post by FKarim » Wed Mar 29, 2006 1:59 pm

I sent an email to the Home Office a couple of days back and got a reply today. I apologise in advance if this post creates any confusions but it had to be shared here. I believe that I was as clear as one can be when asking this simple question. However, the reply contradicts what the new rule implies and what we all are banging our heads about.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My query
> -----Original Message-----
> Sent: 27 March 2006 17:21
> To: hsmp.workpermits@ind.homeoffice.gsi.gov.uk
> Subject: Indefinite Leave to Remain Query
>
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying the IND website for a few days now but it doesn't
seem
> to work. Hopefully you can answer my question. I will be completing
my 4
> years of residence in the UK (first 2 years on a work permit and the
rest
> on HSMP, without any break) in October this year. When I came to this
> country and even when I switched to HSMP, the qualifying period for
> indefinite leave was 4 years. Does the new rule of 5 years apply to
the
> existing residents as well or am I eligible to apply for indefinite
stay
> close to completion of my 4 years in the UK?
>
> Thanks and regards,
> Fawad Karim
>
> _____
>
> To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new
> Yahoo! Security Centre
>
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines ... /*http://u
> k.security.yahoo.com/>.
> PLEASE NOTE: THE ABOVE MESSAGE WAS RECEIVED FROM THE INTERNET.
>
> On entering the GSi, this email was scanned for viruses by the
Government
> Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by
Cable
> & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.
>
> Please see
http://www.gsi.gov.uk/main/notices/info ... 3-2002.pdf
> for further details.
>
> In case of problems, please call your organisational IT helpdesk
>

Home Office Reply
Dear Sir

Current visa holders will not be affected by the changes.

Regards

HSMP Team

This email and any files transmitted with it are private and intended
solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are
addressed.

If you have received this email in error please return it to the
address
it came from telling them it is not for you and then delete it from
your
system.

This email message has been swept for computer viruses.

The original of this email was scanned for viruses by the Government
Secure Intranet (GSi) virus scanning service supplied exclusively by
Cable & Wireless in partnership with MessageLabs.

On leaving the GSi this email was certified virus-free

indian_in_uk

Post by indian_in_uk » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:05 pm

What is happening here, this is so confusing.

Home office should atleast clear all misconceptions, now no-one know what is correct!!
I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star.

first2last4

Post by first2last4 » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:15 pm

Not sure if they have specifically mentioned anywhere that the new rule applies retrospectively. HO's rules are not very clear on this, maybe they want to be in the position to switch their statement assessing the reaction of different parties.

I am sure HO must be aware of immigrants outrage against this issue. And you never know HO may change their statement to clear themself from the UNFAIR tag as it has already experienced the lost case filed by the Solicitor www.Gherson.com as pointed by someone.
Knowledge which is concealed is lost -Hadith

Kavik

Re: My correspondence with the Home Office

Post by Kavik » Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:57 pm

I still can't believe it. When did you received this email?
But definitely it brought a smile to my face.
God please make this stmt TRUE.

[quote="FKarim"]
Dear Sir
Regards
HSMP Team
quote]

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:10 pm

FKarim said he got it today... I thought HO has fixed technical bug on their website but this breaking news apparently again made their web unaccessible now... can anyone lucky enough on their site send them a message: if they can kindly make an official announcement to clarify the situation? many thanks!

Kavik

Post by Kavik » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:23 pm

I've just checked IND website now. IND site responds after 5 mins of accessing the page. There is no such news on their website. As you said I'm sending them a message now. But I don't think they will reply to emails on same day.
supertiger wrote:can anyone lucky enough on their site send them a message: if they can kindly make an official announcement to clarify the situation?

easylife4me

Post by easylife4me » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:37 pm

Well i just called the Home office and they said 5 year rule does apply to current work permit and HSMP holders.
This is absolutely unfair and we have to do something about it.
THANKS

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 3:56 pm

When is the Prime Minister due back to UK? I will send a letter in writing, to guarantee a reply: http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/page821.asp

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:08 pm

you are right. no traces of the news published on 13-03-06.
Kavik wrote:I've just checked IND website now. IND site responds after 5 mins of accessing the page. There is no such news on their website. As you said I'm sending them a message now. But I don't think they will reply to emails on same day.
supertiger wrote:can anyone lucky enough on their site send them a message: if they can kindly make an official announcement to clarify the situation?

FKarim

5 year rule

Post by FKarim » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:20 pm

I have always been of the opinion that the HO staff attending to phones/emails are a bunch of idiots who know nothing about the rules and don't bother looking up/asking seniors something they are not sure about. Now either the person who replied to my email was wrong (more likely) or the person [easylife4me] spoke to didn't know what they were talking about. I remember when I was switching from Work Permit to HSMP in 2004, once I was on the phone with one of their "advisers" asking about something else. Although I was pretty sure, I still decided to ask if I will be able to amalgamate my Work Permit stay with my HSMP stay to qualify for permanent residence. The response I got was "No, you will have to spend ANOTHER 4 years to be able to apply for indefinite leave as after switching your status you are kind of resetting your residence." I treated his "advice" as rubbish and checked the rules again which were very clear in that respect. So you never know the correctness of their reply unless the official statements or documents clarify your concern.

Another reason I can think of giving wrong information deliberately is, if a person applies after 4 years, the application will automatically be rejected with the HO earning a quick and easy £335!

timefactor
Member of Standing

Re: 5 year rule

Post by timefactor » Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:27 pm

Don't you think it is possible, as e-mails are authentic, which scanned thru' governments software infrastructure?
FKarim wrote: Another reason I can think of giving wrong information deliberately is, if a person applies after 4 years, the application will automatically be rejected with the HO earning a quick and easy £335!

supertiger

Post by supertiger » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:00 pm

Timefactor what do you mean? "government software infrastructure" only scans virus. one thing we all know about this country is that if one is allocated to do one job, he/ she is not bothered of other things or knows nothing about other... so is the "government software infrastructure" scanner.

The email reply is most likely to be wrong but I still feel grateful for that staff who replied, at least he/ she had some basic common sense... although this is not the topic we are discussing...

sowhat

Re: My correspondence with the Home Office

Post by sowhat » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:00 pm

FKarim wrote: Home Office Reply
Dear Sir

Regards

HSMP Team
I received a similar response yesterday, signed by "HSMP Team" as well. It also added that I can apply for ILR after 4 years. It contradicts with what I was told by phone.
Last edited by sowhat on Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:11 pm

I meant content logging and scanning on top of virus scanning.
supertiger wrote:Timefactor what do you mean? "government software infrastructure" only scans virus. one thing we all know about this country is that if one is allocated to do one job, he/ she is not bothered of other things or knows nothing about other... so is the "government software infrastructure" scanner.

The email reply is most likely to be wrong but I still feel grateful for that staff who replied, at least he/ she had some basic common sense... although this is not the topic we are discussing...