ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FAS Training Courses

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Delaine

FAS Training Courses

Post by Delaine » Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:25 am

Hi all,

Planning to register with FAS on arrival in Ireland with my husband (he is non-EU). Someone sent me an info link about them, and I was reading about training courses. Does anyone know, would my husband be entitled to go on one of their courses as he is spouse of EU citizen? Or, would it be only me who can register with FAS? Just wondering.

Also saw they pay training allowances..sounds too good to be true in a way! I will be a jobseeker when I arrive but really prefer not to claim benefits unless I really have to, so might also consider a course for myself whilst seeing if I can find work. Any advice appreciated.

Also re. EU1 application, seems as if a lot of people do this via solicitor, however I am planning to do myself - the form + required info seems pretty straightforward to me; so, are there any benefits re. doing via solicitor? If its anything like UK, you are better off doing everything yourself...

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:44 am

I am not sure about the FAS stuff, wait for others to answer.

If you know the directive well and know your rights, and yours is a pretty straight forward case then you will be fine doing it on your own.

If you have a problem with your application just post it here, there are a lot of very knowledgable people on this.. Ben especially knows all the ins and outs of the EU applications.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

IrishTom
BANNED

Post by IrishTom » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:16 am

Two more to join the dole queue.

ojoge
Newly Registered

Re: FAS Training Courses

Post by ojoge » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:34 am

Delaine wrote:Hi all,

Planning to register with FAS on arrival in Ireland with my husband (he is non-EU). Someone sent me an info link about them, and I was reading about training courses. Does anyone know, would my husband be entitled to go on one of their courses as he is spouse of EU citizen? Or, would it be only me who can register with FAS? Just wondering.

Also saw they pay training allowances..sounds too good to be true in a way! I will be a jobseeker when I arrive but really prefer not to claim benefits unless I really have to, so might also consider a course for myself whilst seeing if I can find work. Any advice appreciated.

Also re. EU1 application, seems as if a lot of people do this via solicitor, however I am planning to do myself - the form + required info seems pretty straightforward to me; so, are there any benefits re. doing via solicitor? If its anything like UK, you are better off doing everything yourself...
As per FAS courses, once your husband is register with GNIB and got his PPS he can apply to FAS. you can only get training allowance only if ure a jobseeker on the dole. Even if ure not willing to receieve any benefit ye can still apply for any FAS course of your choice. If you intend to do a full time course you wont pay a dime but if its a part time course you will definately have to pay unless ure on a jobseeker allowance dole.

IntheQ
Newly Registered

Post by IntheQ » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:24 pm

IrishTom wrote:Two more to join the dole queue.
Keep Counting :lol:

Delaine

Post by Delaine » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:45 pm

@ Irish Tom. Why exactly would I be in the dole queue? I work in UK, have a degree (and even if I didnt???) Husband has overseas qualifications. ..the...fact..that..we...fancy...retraining...+ arent...going...to...land..in..Ireland...and...go...straight...on...the...dole ...
clearly...depicts...that..we...want..to...work....

Is that spelt out slowly and clearly enough for your thick head? Folk like you make me laugh, logging in here to moan and groan, purporting to hate immigrants but you just cant leave them alone. Your sort would be the 1st to shit themselves if Ireland left the EU and all the benefits it brings you lmao. You probably think it'd be renamed 'The Empire of Ireland' and you would rule the European waves. Not.

Delaine

Post by Delaine » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:49 pm

Thanks Ojige/Monife, info appreciated. Will look into part-time FAS courses and take it from there.

ITGuru
India

FAS course & NON-EU

Post by ITGuru » Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:04 pm

If he is Stamp 4 he could do any course free / by paying nominal fee. If he is not then he only would be able to do part time evening courses, by paying the relevant fees at FAS.

Delaine

Post by Delaine » Thu Sep 02, 2010 1:56 am

Thanks IT Guru/all. So am trying to understand - if he is Stamp 4 (I guess he will be,as my non-EU spouse?) then he can do any course full-time, will have to pay for it, but will not receive training allowance? Or do I have that wrong? Just want to double check as we aren't really into claiming benefits..or does being on a FAS course full-time mean, he will have to claim benefits?Or, will being on course full-time mean he can claim the training allowance, and the training allowance is not classed as being on state benefits..hope query makes sense!

scrudu

Post by scrudu » Thu Sep 02, 2010 9:41 am

Training allowance is only granted if the person is already in receipt of Social Welfare (JobSeekers Allowance/Benefit). If the person is not already in receipt of such, then they will get no allowance but may qualify for travel allowance.

Fulltime courses are free. Part-time/evening courses cost varying amounts.

All this info is on the FAS and Dept of Social Welfare sites.

Delaine

Post by Delaine » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:11 pm

scrudu wrote:Training allowance is only granted if the person is already in receipt of Social Welfare (JobSeekers Allowance/Benefit). If the person is not already in receipt of such, then they will get no allowance but may qualify for travel allowance.

Fulltime courses are free. Part-time/evening courses cost varying amounts.

All this info is on the FAS and Dept of Social Welfare sites.
Thank you Scrudu/all. I suppose what I am really worried about it, if we in the end decide to make an EU1 application then if he is on a training course and in receipt of benefits (since he has to claim benefits to get the training allowance) then that would be deemed a burden on the state. Unless we are lucky enough to get a job immediately upon arrival in Ireland...I am self-employed in UK so hopefully will get something to do pretty quickly in Ireland, but will be hard for me to support both of us for a time, I must admit.

Vikingdub
Newly Registered

Post by Vikingdub » Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:51 pm

[
Thank you Scrudu/all. I suppose what I am really worried about it, if we in the end decide to make an EU1 application then if he is on a training course and in receipt of benefits (since he has to claim benefits to get the training allowance) then that would be deemed a burden on the state. Unless we are lucky enough to get a job immediately upon arrival in Ireland...I am self-employed in UK so hopefully will get something to do pretty quickly in Ireland, but will be hard for me to support both of us for a time, I must admit.[/quote]

all applicants regardless of nationality are required to be habitually resident in the State in order to qualify for the following payments:

Jobseeker's Allowance
State Pension (Non Contributory)
Blind Pension
Widow(er)'s Non Contributory Pension
One Parent Family Payment
Guardian's Payment
Carer's Allowance
Disability Allowance
Supplementary Welfare Allowance (other than once off exceptional and urgent needs payments) and
Child Benefit
Domiciliary Care Allowance

Delaine

Post by Delaine » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:52 pm

Vikingdub wrote:[

all applicants regardless of nationality are required to be habitually resident in the State in order to qualify for the following payments:

Jobseeker's Allowance
State Pension (Non Contributory)
Blind Pension
Widow(er)'s Non Contributory Pension
One Parent Family Payment
Guardian's Payment
Carer's Allowance
Disability Allowance
Supplementary Welfare Allowance (other than once off exceptional and urgent needs payments) and
Child Benefit
Domiciliary Care Allowance
Thank you. Well, when we move to Ireland we will be resident there in accordance with EU Directive, wont we. Will just go to FAS and see what happens, fingers crossed there wont be any need to claim benefits anyway.