ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

inviting a music band from abroad

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

oleandr
Newly Registered

inviting a music band from abroad

Post by oleandr » Thu Aug 05, 2010 4:14 pm

hi all,

i'd like to invite my friends, who are also a great band, to my wedding in the uk. they require visas to enter the country, but i'm confused what category should they apply for. i found something called entertainor visitor and was wondering if it is the right type of visa for this situation.
Entertainer Visitors
Requirements for leave to enter as an Entertainer Visitor
46S The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as an Entertainer Visitor are that he:

(i) is genuinely seeking entry as an Entertainer Visitor for a limited period as stated by him, not exceeding six months and

(ii) meets the requirements of paragraphs 41(ii)-(viii) and (x)-(xii) and

(iii) intends to do one or more of the following during his visit:

a. to take part as a professional entertainer in one or more music competitions; and/or

b. to fulfil one or more specific engagements as either an individual Amateur entertainer or as an Amateur group; and/or

c. to take part, as an Amateur or professional entertainer, in a cultural event (or one or more of such events) that appears in the list of events to which this provision applies that is published in guidance issued by the United Kingdom Border Agency; and/or

d. serve as a member of the technical or personal staff, or of the production team, of an entertainer coming for one or more of the purposes listed in (a), (b), or (c).
i would appreciate a lot any info and advice on this

many thanks!

oleandr
Newly Registered

Post by oleandr » Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Has anyone applied for entertainer visitor visa? Thanks in advance for sharing your experience!

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:11 pm

If they are here to perform at a wedding (which is not one of the listed permit-free festivals / events) then they can only apply for entertainer visitor if they are an amateur group (like a school or church or community group band / choir). Not professionals.

They can't be paid for the performance, but could be provided with travel and accommodation.

If they are visa nationals then they need to apply for entry visas before they travel. If they are not visa nationals (like USA, Canada) they can just travel with proof of what they are doing and how they meet the criteria as ent visitors.

oleandr
Newly Registered

Post by oleandr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:31 pm

thanks a lot for your response! what does make them professionals? they have non-band related full-time jobs, but perform quite regularly, have their own website, and take part in some festivals.

they are not going to be paid for their performance, we'll just cover some of their flights costs.

i sent this question to the uk border angency, but haven't heard from them for a while. the information on this category is also very limited on their website.

what is your info based on if you don't mind my aksing? do you know by any chance any official websites with more info on the category?

many thanks!

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:57 pm

They are your friends who happen to be a band members, right?

So, they should be able to apply for "visit" visas to attend your wedding as individuals wishing to attend a friend's wedding in the UK rather than coming over in a group as a band to perform at your wedding? And if everyone wants them to play some music on the occasion (without any expectation of commercial transaction), so be it!

Why do they have to state explicitly that they may / will be performing at your wedding? Or they must?

IMHO ....

regards

oleandr
Newly Registered

Post by oleandr » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:02 pm

sushdmehta wrote:They are your friends who happen to be a band members, right?

So, they should be able to apply for "visit" visas to attend your wedding as individuals wishing to attend a friend's wedding in the UK rather than coming over in a group as a band to perform at your wedding? And if everyone wants them to play some music on the occasion (without any expectation of commercial transaction), so be it!

Why do they have to state explicitly that they may / will be performing at your wedding? Or they must?
this was the plan, but one of them is taking his double bass. it's a pretty big, but very delicate instrument and needs to be travelling in the plane cabin, meaning that he will be taking it through the border, which i'm pretty much sure attracts attention and causes questions.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 pm

oleandr wrote:
sushdmehta wrote:They are your friends who happen to be a band members, right?

this was the plan, but one of them is taking his double bass. it's a pretty big, but very delicate instrument and needs to be travelling in the plane cabin, meaning that he will be taking it through the border, which i'm pretty much sure attracts attention and causes questions.
Bet that costs a pretty penny!
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:35 pm

as long as they fit in with the letter of the law on "entertainer visitor" then they should bring a print of the rules with them and tell the truth. If they are visa nationals, though, they'll have to apply for entry visas before they travel and prove how they meet the criteria.

oleandr
Newly Registered

Post by oleandr » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:55 pm

The Station Agent wrote:as long as they fit in with the letter of the law on "entertainer visitor" then they should bring a print of the rules with them and tell the truth. If they are visa nationals, though, they'll have to apply for entry visas before they travel and prove how they meet the criteria.
thanks! the only issue is that the paragragh in my first message was the only official info i could find on that visa. do you know whether there are any other official resources i could check to find more details on this category?

The Station Agent
United Kingdom

Post by The Station Agent » Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:37 pm

Entertainer Visitors
Requirements for leave to enter as an Entertainer Visitor
46S The requirements to be met by a person seeking leave to enter the United Kingdom as an Entertainer Visitor are that he:

(i) is genuinely seeking entry as an Entertainer Visitor for a limited period as stated by him, not exceeding six months and

(ii) meets the requirements of paragraphs 41(ii)-(viii) and (x)-(xii) and

(iii) intends to do one or more of the following during his visit:

a. to take part as a professional entertainer in one or more music competitions; and/or

b. to fulfil one or more specific engagements as either an individual Amateur entertainer or as an Amateur group; and/or

c. to take part, as an Amateur or professional entertainer, in a cultural event (or one or more of such events) that appears in the list of events to which this provision applies that is published in guidance issued by the United Kingdom Border Agency; and/or

d. serve as a member of the technical or personal staff, or of the production team, of an entertainer coming for one or more of the purposes listed in (a), (b), or (c).

Leave to enter as an Entertainer Visitor
46T A person seeking leave to enter to the United Kingdom as an Entertainer Visitor may be admitted for a period not exceeding 6 months, subject to a condition prohibiting employment, provided the Immigration Officer is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 46S is met.

Refusal of leave to enter as an Entertainer Visitor
46U Leave to enter as an Entertainer Visitor is to be refused if the Immigration Officer is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 46S is met.