ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Changing spouse name

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

wphsmpteir1

Changing spouse name

Post by wphsmpteir1 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi,

I am married for over 3 years, and I am on Tier-1 at the moment. Eligible for ILR in Dec 2010. Both me and wife are in UK for last 3 years.

My wife's passport, UK visa and all the Indian and UK docs are in her maiden name, ie her lastname was not updated post marriage. Though we did add spouse name in Indian her passport.

I am wondering if it is advisable to apply for name change before we apply for ILR or do it post ILR.

And in any case, what should be the procedure and where (and how) should we start this process?

Regards

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:04 pm

Marriage certificate should be enough to prove the reason why your spouse has adopted / wishes to adopt your surname. Don't think you need anything else or do anything else except apply for new passport at the embassy of your country. Advisable to check with embassy if they require any other documents.

If you think changing surname will help in settlement application (in proving that your spouse is indeed your spouse), let me assure you that no such thing is required. Unnecessary hassle I would say!

regards

wphsmpteir1

Post by wphsmpteir1 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 3:08 pm

Thanks for your reply.

The timming for surname update is not do with settlement, but to initiate the process.

My concern is since we are already too deep in system in both home country and UK, the longer we delay it, it may be more cumbersome to update the surname.

If we apply for home country passport with the updated family name, would the UK visa (Tier-1) needs to be restamped in the new passport .

OR

We intend to apply for UK passport after ILR, would be advisable to change the family name in the UK passport and then apply for PIO (Person of Indian Origin) / OCI card with this updated name. But then Indian consulate may not have records with this change in name... argggh...

Thanks

anil_1_2_3
Newly Registered

same situation

Post by anil_1_2_3 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:10 pm

wphsmpteir1 wrote:Thanks for your reply.

The timming for surname update is not do with settlement, but to initiate the process.

My concern is since we are already too deep in system in both home country and UK, the longer we delay it, it may be more cumbersome to update the surname.

If we apply for home country passport with the updated family name, would the UK visa (Tier-1) needs to be restamped in the new passport .

OR

We intend to apply for UK passport after ILR, would be advisable to change the family name in the UK passport and then apply for PIO (Person of Indian Origin) / OCI card with this updated name. But then Indian consulate may not have records with this change in name... argggh...

Thanks
Hi
I am also in similar situation as you were. I am not quite sure whether to apply for name change before applying for ILR or wait untill ILR is stamped.
Could you please advise what you have done in your case and whether you see any problems changing my spouse surname and getting a new passport before going to ILR..

Thanks,
Anil

ortkyq
Newly Registered

Post by ortkyq » Fri May 27, 2011 10:27 pm

same situation here too but i am from HK,

i advised the consulate by email,they asked me to apply a new visa if i want to change my maiden to married name, i just don't know what to do and don't quite understand it.

i wish someone who has experience about it can give us some suggestions.

thanks