ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

F1 Sponsorship

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ramsay

F1 Sponsorship

Post by Ramsay » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:57 pm

Hello

I'm UK citizen by birth and my sister-in-law is Nepali. She would like sponsorship to study in america as both an extended cousin and some friends study there already. They're on a nursing course which costs $11k per year and she wants to join too.

From my basic grasp I understand that she would need a letter from the uni offering a place first. The main concern I have though is that she is under the impression that she could fund her own education whilst across there and only needs my letter as part of the paperwork. If she's granted a visa then surely her finances would be my responsibility?

My understanding is she's only allowed to work 20 hours on campus and (20 x $6 an hour) x 52 week is nowhere near enough.

From my understanding too my finances would have to show the $11k + living costs as being readily available and with moving house towards christmas this isn't going to be the case.

COuld someone with more knowledge confirm this please and even provide some useful links of possible please?

Hypothetically what would happen if she got her visa and then a few months down the line couldn't afford the fees/living expenses? I take it it would be my responsibility as sponsor to sort it out?

Thank you very much in advance