ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

FYI: Science and Engineering Scheme

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kawasaki1

FYI: Science and Engineering Scheme

Post by kawasaki1 » Mon Jun 07, 2004 5:17 pm

Some insider info for those graduating from Sci. and Eng. courses this year:
...You may recall that a notification was sent around in February regarding the government's proposals to allow science and engineering graduates to stay on in the UK to work for one year after graduating, without the requirement for a work permit. This was due to be implemented in summer 2004. The Home Office has now confirmed that it is unlikely that the proposed Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme will be in operation this summer. The matter is still with ministers in the department and a formal announcement is expected within the next few weeks. However, we should assume that the scheme will not be launched this summer and advise students accordingly. For further information about existing options for graduates who want to stay in the UK for employment, see the UKCOSA guidance note "Working in the UK after your studies" (www.ukcosa.org.uk) and the Home Office website, www.workingintheuk.gov.uk...
Lets hope that not too many people depended on this! Good luck with WP's and HSMP's!
Last edited by kawasaki1 on Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chess
Diamond Member

Post by Chess » Mon Jun 07, 2004 7:09 pm

Kawasaki

Could you please elucidate more regarding the source of your information :(

Many students around the country could have been banking on that scheme and have posibly literary put all their eggs in one basket :x
Where there is a will there is a way.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Tue Jun 08, 2004 10:10 am

Chess,

The source is from a student careers office from my ex-uni and the email was forwarded to all graduates on the course (engineering) by the department head.

I almost had my eggs in that basket too but luckily managed a WP some time ago. The HO was not very fair (but then again, they rarely are) as you say. :shock:

It is my understanding though that the scheme might apply to people who have graduated within 12 months prior to applying, so maybe there is some hope for those who have nothing to go on now (i.e. they could leave the country and maybe apply once the scheme is formalised). In any case, lets wait for the official publication.

There are also rumours that HO is more lenient in approving WP's for people who are graduating from well-known UK universities, but that is in no way official :)

tvt

Post by tvt » Tue Jun 08, 2004 2:13 pm

As a bubble economy that does not produce anything valuable, the UK definitely does not need anymore scientists. All it needs is some estate agents, management consultants and brokers.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Tue Jun 08, 2004 6:35 pm

tnavon wrote:As a bubble economy that does not produce anything valuable, the UK definitely does not need anymore scientists. All it needs is some estate agents, management consultants and brokers.
Beg to differ somewhat given the emerging biotechnology field of which the UK is a leading pioneer - Cambridge will be/is the country's 'biotech valley' though estate agents et al ride the wave of investment here especially as it becomes the choice home for US executives who love its 'quaint' English character 8) .

GwaiLo
Newly Registered

Post by GwaiLo » Thu Jun 10, 2004 1:23 am

I beg to differ with the view that without some physical end product there is no value.

I recently had a heart attack. Those doctors and nurses sure had value.

When your house starts subsiding you might think my advice about what to do about it has value.

And if we follow the argument to its logical conclussion, this site has no value. You only need the IND, they produce the visa's etc. The moderators here merely provide knowledge....much like those estate agents, brokers and management consultants.

tvt

Post by tvt » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:22 am

Just visit ant retailer to find out how rare are the words "Made in the UK".
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Thu Jun 10, 2004 2:15 pm

Some more info about the goings-on:
Further to your inquiries regarding the Science and Engineering Graduate Scheme, please see some answers below:

1. I phoned the Home Office to get more details about this scheme. Basically, they couldn't tell me more then it is on their web site already?

I understand this is confusing for some of you who have plans to stay in the UK for an extra year, but unfortunately not even the legislators themselves were able to provide further information. This should mean only a delay in implementing the proposal rather than reversal, although no one can tell us at the moment how long this will be delayed for. We
were promised more details after 15 July 04.

kawasaki1

Post by kawasaki1 » Sat Jul 17, 2004 4:42 pm

Some fresh info:
Dear colleagues

In a surprise announcement at a meeting on Thursday, 15 July 2004,
the Immigration and Nationality Policy Directorate of the Home Office
said that the Science and Engineering Graduate Students scheme
WOULD come into effect soon.

They were unable to say when it would come into effect (other than
"quite quickly") or who it would cover. They said that it could be a
month before they were able to announce either of those things.

Advisers should treat this latest announcement (a very vague verbal
announcement) with some caution. However, it is a sign that perhaps
the scheme is not completely out of the question for all this
summer's graduates after all. The only advice that can be given to
students at present is to "wait and see".

This news will only increase the frustration felt by advisers, and
international students. UKCOSA has tried to impress on the Home
Office the dire need for further information as quickly as possible.
Advisers should keep a close eye on the Work Permits (UK) website (
www.workingintheuk.gov.uk ) over the coming months to ensure that
they do not miss any announcement that is made there.

UKCOSA will obviously pass on any further information that becomes
available through admin-ukcosa. Please do the same if you receive
information yourself from government sources.

At present, this is the statement that is on Work Permits (UK)

"Information about science and engineering graduate students

"The implementation of the Science and Engineering Graduates Scheme
remains a ministerial objective. Home Office officials are currently
working on the details of the proposals and further announcements,
including the implementation date, will be made in due course."