ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Rehabilitation of Offenders Act of 1974?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jsnipy
Newly Registered

Rehabilitation of Offenders Act of 1974?

Post by jsnipy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:32 am

Does the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act of 1974 apply to those seeking the Tier 1 visa from outside of the UK? In other words, if a conviction is spent under the Act, does it still need to be listed on the application?
Thank you!

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Re: Rehabilitation of Offenders Act of 1974?

Post by aspirant99 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:37 am

jsnipy wrote:Does the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act of 1974 apply to those seeking the Tier 1 visa from outside of the UK? In other words, if a conviction is spent under the Act, does it still need to be listed on the application?
Thank you!
Yes, i guess it will apply as the applicant will file for a visa to enter the UK...I think as per the law the offender is not obliged to disclose a spent conviction under Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 so i guess it can be skipped ..but i don't know whether there are any exceptions under which even the spent cnviction needs to be disclosed.....if there are and the applicant falls under that then it has to be disclosed.....

IMO, i would have rather mentioned it stating that it s a spent conviction because if it is really a spent conviction then my application won't have any adverse effect because of the conviction and also i my apllication will be honest and save me from the slightest chance of being considered of using deception ...

jsnipy
Newly Registered

Post by jsnipy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:03 pm

Thanks, aspirant99!

Does anybody know if it is possible to receive an official explanation of the rules before applying for the visa? I would rather not include my conviction if I don't have to.

alikhan28
BANNED

Post by alikhan28 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:36 pm

jsnipy wrote:Does the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act of 1974 apply to those seeking the Tier 1 visa from outside of the UK? In other words, if a conviction is spent under the Act, does it still need to be listed on the application?
Thank you!

Yes.

Ali

jsnipy
Newly Registered

Post by jsnipy » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:15 pm

alikhan28 wrote:
Thank you!
Yes.
Ali, could you clarify whether your "yes" means the Act applies or that the conviction has to be disclosed and the Act doesn't apply.

alikhan28
BANNED

Post by alikhan28 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:24 pm

jsnipy wrote:
alikhan28 wrote:
Thank you!
Yes.
Ali, could you clarify whether your "yes" means the Act applies or that the conviction has to be disclosed and the Act doesn't apply.
Convictions need to be declared weather spent or not is other issue.

But you need to declare it.

Ali