ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

citizenship certificate to renew british passport?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

JO_UKCREW03
Newly Registered

citizenship certificate to renew british passport?

Post by JO_UKCREW03 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:02 pm

Hi guys. My first post so I was not sure whether to post it here or somewhere else.

My aunt and My mum received their British passports together in 1990, as my grandfather was a British citizen at the time of their birth. Because, they received their citizenship by descent in 1990, hence no naturalisation certificate was issued from their country of origin in Bangladesh.

Both my mom and my aunt renewed their passports in England in 2000 without any issues. However, when my aunt tried to renew her passport again, albeit in Bangladesh in July 2010, the British High commission has asked her to produce the original citizenship certificate. My mum has recently renewed her passport and all it required was just her old passport as verification.

My understanding, correct me if I am wrong, is that if someone received citizenship by descent they are never issued with a citizenship certificate, but just a passport straightway, further confirmed by both my mum and my aunt' case.

To further the problem the British high commission in Bangladesh has asked her to obtain a duplicate of the citizenship certificate from liverpool,UK without which they will not even look at the passport apparantly, let alone renew it! But, how can she obtain duplicate of something she was never issued in the first place! (as she is not a naturilised citizen).

Furthermore, she was advised that she can travel to UK if she wishes to with her expired British passport as well. Is she being misinformed??

Apologies for the long post but I think a British Citizen is being treated very unfairly by authorities. Could someone shed some light into this matter and any advice on what we can do, please.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:38 pm

Did your mom renew her passport at the same high commission thats refusing to take you aunts.

you may want to contact the foreign commonwealth office to get confirmation of this 'requirement'. If renewing through IPS in the UK all you need to do is supply the last passport.