ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Citizenship for my childrens....

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

BULLDOG69
Newly Registered

UK Citizenship for my childrens....

Post by BULLDOG69 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:16 pm

Hello Everyone..
Background:
I am a british national fromlast 4 years and have got British Passport since then. 3 years before I got married to the girl in India and have 2 childrens so far. I bring them up here and they are staying with me now from 6 months and they have the Indefinite leave to remain in the UK. Also my wife is still living with me in uk.. Means the whole family..
Question:
My question is
1) How long they have to stay here to get the British Passport/Citizenship?
2) I am planning to move to Australia for good. Do I need any other visa requirement for that.

It would be highly appreciated if anyone in the forum could help me sortingo ut this situation..
THANKS..

Jeff Albright

Re: UK Citizenship for my childrens....

Post by Jeff Albright » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:26 pm

BULLDOG69 wrote:Hello Everyone..
have got British Passport since then. 3 years before I got married to the girl in India and have 2 childrens so far.
I was very happy to hear that the UK Government introduced compulsory English tests for everyone applying for British Nationality.
After 1 year on ILR they can apply for naturalisation
2) I am planning to move to Australia for good. Do I need any other visa requirement for that.
As a matter of course. But why do you need British Nationality, then?
See www.immi.gov.au for the requirements to enter Australia.
Also, English test to migrate to Australia is the requirement, just to bear in mind.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:57 pm

I was very happy to hear that the UK Government introduced compulsory English tests for everyone applying for British Nationality.
Not sure what your point is here? Don't see where the OP has asked about English tests? Additionally there are no compulsory English tests when applying for British Nationality (and as far as I can recall there never has been). You do now have to demonstrate knowledge of life in the UK and you do this by writing an exam.

JAJ
Australia

Re: UK Citizenship for my childrens....

Post by JAJ » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:58 am

1. Whose children are they? Yours, or your wife's?
2. Yes you do need a visa to migrate to Australia. http://www.immi.gov.au

FromThere2Here

Post by FromThere2Here » Fri Mar 31, 2006 11:13 am

bbdivo wrote:
Not sure what your point is here? Don't see where the OP has asked about English tests? Additionally there are no compulsory English tests when applying for British Nationality (and as far as I can recall there never has been). You do now have to demonstrate knowledge of life in the UK and you do this by writing an exam.
Bbdivo,

I think the poster's point was to make a snarky comment about the original poster's misuse of the English language ("childrens").

I don't know about the rest of you, but I'd say such comments are inappropriate for this forum.

Besides, I'm not sure I'd be keen to take English lessons from someone whose prose includes the following: "Also, English test to migrate to Australia is the requirement, just to bear in mind".

Marie B

Post by Marie B » Fri Mar 31, 2006 12:30 pm

I know this is a side topic but - I thought there was a requirement to attain a minimum standard of English when applying for nationality? ESOL level 3 or something. By introducing the Life in the UK test the HO have killed two birds with one stone, the new test complies with the minimum standard of English required so if you pass the test you prove your English is up to scratch at the same time as proving you have a greater knowledge of random UK facts than the majority of the population.

(I tried the online test - I'm English - I didn't pass - who knows which order the saints days occur throughout the calender year, or what the name is for the type of Government we have - when would you ever need to know that?? And I would have considered that I have a greater than average interest in UK politics / current affairs / history than most).

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:51 pm

Marie B wrote:I know this is a side topic but - I thought there was a requirement to attain a minimum standard of English when applying for nationality? ESOL level 3 or something.
There absolutely is, however there were a number of ways to prove this,

- writing and passing an ESOL exam
- getting somone on a preapproved list (solicitor was one of them) to certify that you english is sufficient
- giving proof that your education was carried out in English (usually by providing a copy of your graduation certificates)

Now by writing and passing the knowledge of life in the UK you automatically prove that your English is up to scratch. But AFAIK there are no specific questions that test your mastery of the English language.

bbdivo
Member of Standing

Post by bbdivo » Fri Mar 31, 2006 2:59 pm

Marie B wrote:I know this is a side topic but - I thought there was a requirement to attain a minimum standard of English when applying for nationality? ESOL level 3 or something.

- getting somone on a preapproved list (solicitor was one of them) to certify that you english is sufficient
- giving proof that your education was carried out in English (usually by providing a copy of your graduation certificates)

Now by writing and passing the knowledge of life in the UK you automatically prove that your English is up to scratch. But AFAIK there are no specific questions that test your mastery of the English language.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Mar 31, 2006 4:27 pm

Let's just clarify this. There are now just two routes :-
  • supply a pass certificate for the Citizenship Test
  • supply a completion certificate from a combined ESOL/Citizenship course
All other routes have been abolished.

Earlier in the topic it was said :-
That is actually not quite right! One of the two documents listed above needs to be supplied ..... by those applying for Naturalisation as British.

However there is no such requirement for those applying for Registration as British. Which at least for some people is probably quite a relief! After all we might be talking about a 4 year old child being Registered on the back of their parent's Naturalisation application. :x
John

BULLDOG69
Newly Registered

Hi Everyone.....

Post by BULLDOG69 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:09 pm

Thanks very much for your comments..

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Apr 03, 2006 2:26 pm

Quote:

After 1 year on ILR they can apply for naturalisation
I have just had a re-read of this topic, and feel the need to correct the above. This is because the wife of Bulldog69 is married to a British Citizen .... namely Bulldog69!

For anyone married to a British Citizen there is no minimum length of time that ILR needs to be held. There are other tests to take into account but theoretically someone could get their ILR one day and apply for naturalisation the next day.

Let's just quickly review the rules for the spouse of a British Citizen (or indeed the Civil Partner of such a person) :-
  • As at the date of application they pass the "was in the UK exactly three years before IND receive the naturalisation application" test
  • in the three years up to the date of application, has not been outside the UK more than 270 days
  • in the one year up to the date of application, has not been outside the UK more than 90 days
  • has got ILR
  • must not have been an "illegal" at any time in the three year period up to the application date
There is a bit of leeway on those 270 and 90 numbers, but not a lot.

So Bulldog69, when did your wife first come to the UK .... the exact date .... and has she spent much time outside the UK since then?
John