ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

English language points for UK NARIC approved course

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mivi
Newly Registered

English language points for UK NARIC approved course

Post by mivi » Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:54 pm

Hi,

I am currently holding UKWP (Tier2 Intra Company transfer) and like to switch to Tier1 visa.

I did my B.Tech and M.B.A. from Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India and could claim 35 points for Qualification as per the points based calculator in the UK Immigration site. But, couldnt use any of my degrees for English language ability.

Can someone please tell me how to claim points for English ability? I have a letter from university which says that my Bachelor degree i.e. B.Tech was taught in English. Is that fine? Will that be considered as equivalent to C1 level? If not, what should be done?

Thanks in advance,

Mivi

push
United Kingdom

Re: English language points for UK NARIC approved course

Post by push » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:35 pm

mivi wrote:Hi,

I am currently holding UKWP (Tier2 Intra Company transfer) and like to switch to Tier1 visa.

I did my B.Tech and M.B.A. from Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India and could claim 35 points for Qualification as per the points based calculator in the UK Immigration site. But, couldnt use any of my degrees for English language ability.

Can someone please tell me how to claim points for English ability? I have a letter from university which says that my Bachelor degree i.e. B.Tech was taught in English. Is that fine? Will that be considered as equivalent to C1 level? If not, what should be done?

Thanks in advance,

Mivi
Go for the approved english language test.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:08 am

If PBS calculator doesn't grant you points of English language on basis of said qualification and you are not a national of an English speaking country (listed in the guidance), the only option available to you is to pass an English language test.

regards

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: English language points for UK NARIC approved course

Post by aruni4470 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 7:20 am

mivi wrote:I have a letter from university which says that my Bachelor degree i.e. B.Tech was taught in English. Is that fine? Will that be considered as equivalent to C1 level?
The letter from University cannot be used. I am afraid as already suggested, you will need to take a English language test.

mivi
Newly Registered

Post by mivi » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:52 am

Thanks for the reply. Even i was feeling so.

But, today I rang up UKBA and the person who attended the call was saying that i should go ahead with my current 'In person' appointment as a degree taught in English cannot be completed without satisfying C1 criteria.

I am now totally confused. :-(

Regards,

Mithu

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:09 pm

mivi wrote:as a degree taught in English cannot be completed without satisfying C1 criteria.
In that case, every degree taught in English should be listed in the English section of PBS calculator! But it isn't!

Up to you whether you want to follow UKBA advice and risk your application (and waste money), or follow the policy guidance and eliminate that risk.
Your money, your application, your risk, your choice!

regards