ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to go around getting my family to join me in the UK?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

copic
Newly Registered

How to go around getting my family to join me in the UK?

Post by copic » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:31 pm

Hi,

originally from yemen , i have lived in the uk for the past 12 yrs, i hold an indefinite leave to remain and nly recently decided to work on my application form to become a UK citizen, i didn't do it previously as didn't really see the need to till recently when i wanted to travel around Europe.

i am 27 and i live alone, i have a part time job and my income in around £700 a month.

i would like my family ( thats my younger brother and my mum) to join me here in the uk. my brother speaks English fluently, my mum doesn't, but she understand just enough to get by.

so back to wanting them to join me in the uk i wanted to know initially what i need to do and what sort of documents i would need to provide? do they need to fill an indefinite leave to remain applications? i think i know that we need to prove that between us we have enough income to not need any support from public funds.

basically a guidance to where i should start from will be much appreciated as i am pretty clueless and seeking a lawyers advice at this early stage will be difficult with my small income, i know i would need to do that at some stage, but would like to go with a clearer idea to what me and my family would need to provide and how long such application would normally take..

thank you for advice in advance, and please let me know if you need any more information to be able to make better picture of the situation and therefor be able to give me a relevant advice

Kind regards,

R.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:31 pm

No chance, sorry. UK has no provision for this, it's not gonna happen.

The visa apps alone would cost you £3,200.....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

copic
Newly Registered

Post by copic » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:28 pm

I thought application fee was around £840 each person?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:46 pm

copic wrote:I thought application fee was around £840 each person?
£1600 each I thought for over 18 dependants...

Could be wrong tho.

Doesn't matter tho - the only way to get an over-18 here is for them to be 0ver 65, under 65 if widowed, and wholly dependant with no local siblings to help.

You can never get it for an independent adult tho, this is the hardest visa to get, and from what u've told us you nowhere near qualify.

copic
Newly Registered

Post by copic » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:47 pm

I tried to look on the uk border agency website for more information about fees and information i need to provide but can't find a clear list, is there a website link you could direct me to that i can read up more about this?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:51 pm

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:06 pm

£1680 each - ouch!

But they have to be dependant - wholly and without local support, and realistically you have to be honest, on 700 a month it's just not possible...

copic
Newly Registered

Post by copic » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:13 pm

But my mother have an income of about £1000 a month, and my brother would find a job

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:22 pm

copic wrote:But my mother have an income of about £1000 a month
Then she is not financially dependent on you ... one of the key qualifying criteria.

regards

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:08 pm

sushdmehta wrote:
copic wrote:But my mother have an income of about £1000 a month
Means she is not financially dependent on you ... one of the key qualifying criteria.

regards
Yep - forget it mate, it's not going to happen, just not possible under UK immigration rules, if u emigrate as an adult u do so on ur own merits, not ur family's, you cannot drag the rest here....

alikhan28
BANNED

Re: How to go around getting my family to join me in the UK?

Post by alikhan28 » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:26 pm

Hi

Here are the visa requirements:
317. The requirements to be met by a person seeking indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom as the parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom are that the person:

(i) is related to a person present and settled in the United Kingdom in one of the following ways:

(a) mother or grandmother who is a widow aged 65 years or over; or

(b) father or grandfather who is a widower aged 65 years or over; or

(c) parents or grandparents travelling together of whom at least one is aged 65 or over; or

(d) a parent or grandparent aged 65 or over who has entered into a second relationship of marriage or civil partnership but cannot look to the spouse, civil partner or children of that second relationship for financial support; and where the person settled in the United Kingdom is able and willing to maintain the parent or grandparent and any spouse or civil partner or child of the second relationship who would be admissible as a dependant; or

(e) parent or grandparent under the age of 65 if living alone outside the United Kingdom in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in the United Kingdom; or

(f) the son, daughter, sister, brother, uncle or aunt over the age of 18 if living alone outside the United Kingdom in the most exceptional compassionate circumstances and mainly dependent financially on relatives settled in the United Kingdom; and

(ii) is joining or accompanying a person who is present and settled in the United Kingdom or who is on the same occasion being admitted for settlement; and

(iii) is financially wholly or mainly dependent on the relative present and settled in the United Kingdom; and

(iv) can, and will, be accommodated adequately, together with any dependants, without recourse to public funds, in accommodation which the sponsor owns or occupies exclusively; and

(iva) can, and will, be maintained adequately, together with any dependants, without recourse to public funds; and

(v) has no other close relatives in his own country to whom he could turn for financial support; and

(vi) if seeking leave to enter, holds a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity.

Indefinite leave to enter or remain as the parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom

318. Indefinite leave to enter the United Kingdom as the parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom may be granted provided a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity is produced to the Immigration Officer on arrival. Indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom as the parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom may be granted provided the Secretary of State is satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 317 (i)-(v) is met.
Refusal of indefinite leave to enter or remain in the United Kingdom as the parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom

319. Indefinite leave to enter the United Kingdom as the parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a person settled in the United Kingdom is to be refused if a valid United Kingdom entry clearance for entry in this capacity is not produced to the Immigration Officer on arrival. Indefinite leave to remain in the United Kingdom as the parent, grandparent or other dependent relative of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom is to be refused if the Secretary of State is not satisfied that each of the requirements of paragraph 317 (i)-(v) is met.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... sandother/

Ali

didi63
Newly Registered

copic

Post by didi63 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:28 pm

As the other people have said - your chances are slim to none getting your family over here.

alikhan28
BANNED

Re: copic

Post by alikhan28 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:09 pm

didi63 wrote:As the other people have said - your chances are slim to none getting your family over here.
Slim not none. :roll:

Ali

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:09 pm

alikhan28 wrote:
didi63 wrote:As the other people have said - your chances are slim to none getting your family over here.

Ali
Actually I'd go with none!

alikhan28
BANNED

Post by alikhan28 » Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:29 pm

Wanderer wrote:
alikhan28 wrote:

Ali
Actually I'd go with none!
Ok go for none and be happy.

Ali

copic
Newly Registered

Post by copic » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:12 pm

Does the fact that both my mum and brother used to hold an ILR five yrs ago help? my papa holds a British passport since 1995, him and mama are no longer together, but it was because he sent her back with an new passport while he kept her older passport which holds her ILR that caused this complication.. does any of these details help at all?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:36 pm

If your mother and brother truly had indefinite leave - then they might qualify as a returning resident.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/polic ... les/part1/

See section 18.

They would have to be able to prove she had the ILR though - which might be tricky without the passport containing the original sticker. They would also have to prove strong family ties to the UK in order to qualify (see http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/howtoapply ... gresidents) and one son here might not do it.

copic
Newly Registered

Post by copic » Fri Sep 03, 2010 5:41 pm

the Returning Residents points both apply to my brother and mother except one, they both been outside of the uk for more than 2 yrs. more like 7 yrs for my brother and ten for my mum. my father took both their passports i think to prevent the possibiltiy of their entry again! i am not in touch with him anymore and not sure he would be willing to help me by giving me their old passports.

what i have though is a copy of a letter from the home office addressed to my mother that states that she along with any children has been issued with ILR in 1998

so i guess that takes me back to square one.

i sent my british citizenship application form, any idea how long on average that would take? and is it likely to be successful?

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:29 pm

copic wrote:the Returning Residents points both apply to my brother and mother except one, they both been outside of the uk for more than 2 yrs. more like 7 yrs for my brother and ten for my mum.
Hence the comment about strong ties to the UK - section 19 covers that.
what i have though is a copy of a letter from the home office addressed to my mother that states that she along with any children has been issued with ILR in 1998
This might do it - it'll have the reference numbers on they could look the info up on. However, as I said - they have to demonstrate strong ties - and I've just responded on another thread where a man who has had his family (wife and children) move back here was rejected. BUT this might be because he failed to provide evidence - we're waiting on that.
i sent my british citizenship application form, any idea how long on average that would take? and is it likely to be successful?
There's a specific BC section on these forums you can get more help in there.