ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Best way to live with my girlfriend

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

hwyl
Newly Registered

Best way to live with my girlfriend

Post by hwyl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:58 pm

Hi all,

I'm at the end of my tether searching for the best way to live with my girlfriend. She's a US citizen and we met whilst travelling last year. We've kept in constant touch and I went out to visit her in America in June 2010. We decided she'd move to live with me in Wales and believed that the obvious option was a six month visitor visa. We were under the impression that this could be extended and it would merely be a case of her going home for a bit before shrotly returning on another visitor visa. Out eventual plan was that after 2 years, we'd have 'unmarried partner' status.

However, I now understand that she cannot revisit for another six months after the visitor visa has expired - meaning that we'll be apart for 6 months a year. This will also means that there'll be no way to eventually claim Indefinite Leave to Remain as unmarried partners after 2 years.

We are totally genuine, deeply in love, and have send long email to each other every single day since June. The UK Border Agency is no help whatsoever in terms of suggesting the best option. Once her visa comes to end in Feb 2011, even if she gets a student visa for a Master's Degree, she would not be able to arrive until shortly before the course stats, in Sept 2011.

Is the only option marriage??? She's only 23 and it obviously has big financial consequences should anything go wrong. I have a good job and am able to fully support her but can't seem to find any legal way of doing it. People obviously meet and fall in love with people from all over the world, so there must be a way of doing this.

Thank you very much for any help.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:14 pm

You're right I'm afraid: you can't really use visitor visas to accrue time together as unmarried partners. If you carried out that plan, your girlfriend's intention on arrival would not really be to "visit" but with to settle with you. There's potential for her to be refused entry for deception.

Your partner's options (she's over 21: I assume you are as well?):

1. Get married (either in the UK with proper permission if necessary or elsewhere), go back to the US and apply for a spouse visa.

2. Go back to the US, apply for a fiancée visa, get married in the UK within 6 months and switch to spouse status.

3. Come to the UK as a student in 2011. Live together for 2 years and switch to leave to remain as unmarried partner.

4. Keep alternating visits to each other (seems like it will be your turn next!) until you're ready to make the commitments above.

As ILR is changing from next year, none of these options guarantees ILR after 2 years. It looks like it may be quicker to get citizenship than permanent residence alone after that.

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:18 pm

We decided she'd move to live with me in Wales and believed that the obvious option was a six month visitor visa. We were under the impression that this could be extended and it would merely be a case of her going home for a bit before shrotly returning on another visitor visa.
That's called settling and exact what the "6 in 12" 'rule' is designed to prevent. If you want to settle ... get a settlement visa.
Out eventual plan was that after 2 years, we'd have 'unmarried partner' status.
That wouldn't have worked anyway - they'd have looked at her travel patterns, decided she had been lying about her intentions to 'visit' and deny the visa.

I've been through this myself - and we got married to be together.

So ... what are her options:
  • * Student visa - which you've rightly identified would probably mean a course starting sept '11

* Tier 1 visa - but she'd have to qualify herself for this. It would allow her to work immediately.

* Tier 2 visa - she finds a company to sponser her for work

* Fiancee visa - you agree to get married within 6 months and she gets a 6 months visa to allow it. She won't be allowed to work until married and converted to a spouse visa.

* Spouse visa - you travel to the US or a third country, marry, and apply for the spouse visa. This gives her 2 years and she can work immedaitely.

* EU route. Move to an EU country, exercise your treaty rights (work), then apply for her to join you as 'family'. When you then return to the UK after a suitable amount of time she can join you that way.

* You move to the USA.
That's it really.
People obviously meet and fall in love with people from all over the world, so there must be a way of doing this.
Yep - and they either move elsewhere, get visas in their own right, or get married.

Hope that helps.

M.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:45 pm

I can quite understand how your girlfriend thinks.
She wants to be with the man she loves living in the greatest country in the world whose only drawback is that it is next door to England but as the others have said, you need to make this relationship permanent.
Maybe it is not the timeframe you want but if you love each other then it shouldn't matter.
Fiancee visa may be your best bet

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:03 pm

You might want to see this post on how the costs add up for a fiancee visa:

http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=48888

hwyl
Newly Registered

Post by hwyl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:32 pm

Hi all,

many thanks for your help so far. Just to answer a couple of points:

Yes, I'm over 21 too (early thirties). She's arriving a week on Saturday, so it's obviously too late to apply for a change in visa status for this visit. She's not in a field to qualify for Tier 1 and for similar reason, I don't think she'd find a company to go to the trouble of sponsoring her for Tier2.

- People keep talking about "intent" and "lying about the reason for visit". Sure, our intention is to live together and enjoy our relationship...but I don't see any visa option to clearly allow that (short of getting married). Obviously, without ever having lived together for an extended period, how can we know whether marriage is right? Two UK residents wouldn't be under this pressure to marry so soon. A visitor visa was the only realistic option.

- From the UK Borders perspective, surely it's natural and reasonable for someone to visit a 'friend' in the UK for six months...things develop and they become partners? They live together and want to settle based on time spend living together?

- Spending six months between the UK and US is unfortunatley not a real-world option. If I was a wealthy retiree then it would be different. But I have a job and career and can't just disappear for six months at a time to satisfy visa regulations. Similarly, my girlfriend will have no job to go back to and will also have no stability in her life. We both need money from jobs and she can't work here and I couldn't work in the US.

Also a couple of questions:

a) Once she goes back after expiry of the visiter visa, does she have to wait six months before returning on a fiance visa (should we go down that route)? Or can she come back much sooner?

b) Do you think the original visitor visa thing may prejudice any other visa applications in the future? We didn't try to deceive, but were rather unaware of any option for partners who are not married and who havn't spend years living together in another country. As we were hardly going to rush into marriage so soon, a visitor visa seemed the only option.

c) Could anyone enlighten me on 'Settlement visas' and 'citizenship' that have been mentioned? Other than our relationship, she doesn't have any other reason to be here/anything other advantage over anyone else who wants to move here. Whatever fees it would cost are not a problem.

d) Would the travel patterns, r.e. an eventual student visa be that strange??? I.e., she visits me for six months, we get on great, she returns home in Feb 2011. She decides to do a Master's here, comes back in Sept 2011, we live together for two years as unmarried partners. What's suspicious about that? Perhaps I'm being naive here. She's typical post-grad student age.

Would appreciate any help once again.

P.s. ha ha - good post Mochyn. But these guys are helping me :)

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:29 pm

Student visa is an expensive option, the course alone can cost 20k pa and you need to have that up front plus maintenance, so around 30k.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

hwyl
Newly Registered

Post by hwyl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:14 pm

Oh yeah, post grad courses are very expensive but it's something she'd love to do anyway. I think the particular course she wants is £10,000 and her parents could possible help her out with that.

Anyone able to answer some of my earlier questions, e.g. on settlement?

Many thanks,

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:20 pm

hwyl wrote:Anyone able to answer some of my earlier questions, e.g. on settlement?
For settlement routes (on basis of relationship with British citizen / settled person), see Settlement (SET).

As for citizenship (a step after settlement), the rules are expected to change in July 2011 - as per information currently available. Under current rules, there are two routes to citizenship available to your GF - stay in the UK as a economic migrant e.g. - Tier 1 / Tier 2, (see standard requirements) OR stay in the UK as spouse / civil partner of a British citizen (see requirements for spouses / civil partners).

regards

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm

- People keep talking about "intent" and "lying about the reason for visit". Sure, our intention is to live together and enjoy our relationship...but I don't see any visa option to clearly allow that (short of getting married). Obviously, without ever having lived together for an extended period, how can we know whether marriage is right? Two UK residents wouldn't be under this pressure to marry so soon. A visitor visa was the only realistic option.
There are three classes of visa. Visitor, Settlement and Temporary.
Visitor is exactly that, a visit. It's defined as being for a short period. UKBA consider that to be < 6 months.
Settlement is when you want to come to live here - which is what a longer visit is considered to be.
Temporary is a special category for some workers (like domestic workers) who are given a very specific length visa to allow them to perform a task.

So in those categories - your girlfriend wasn't really intending to visit in UKBA's definitions. Hence the talk about intent. It's not judgemental - it's just how UKBA see things.
- From the UK Borders perspective, surely it's natural and reasonable for someone to visit a 'friend' in the UK for six months...things develop and they become partners? They live together and want to settle based on time spend living together?
Yep - and in those circumstances they expect the 'friend' to go home, apply for a fiancee visa and them to get married. They don't make provision for a 'relationship' visa. It's the harsh reality of the situation. UKBA doesn't consider it has a responsibility to allow you to bring anyone over.

A good example here is that the UK does not have a 'family reunion' visa and you will see many postings on here about how hard it is to bring non-dependant relatives (e.g. brothers/sisters/mothers/fathers) over. The UK authorities don't see it as their job to allow extended families to travel/be together unless it's absolutely necessary and even then it's a real tough job to get them in.

European law is a bit different, especially in their definition of 'partner' - hence why I mentioned the european law route. Don't dismiss this option too quickly - Ireland would be considered Europe for this purpose and you'd only have to be there for 6 months or so. Sadly European rules don't apply unless you are in another member state.
a) Once she goes back after expiry of the visiter visa, does she have to wait six months before returning on a fiance visa (should we go down that route)? Or can she come back much sooner?
She can come back immediately if they grant the visa.
b) Do you think the original visitor visa thing may prejudice any other visa applications in the future? We didn't try to deceive, but were rather unaware of any option for partners who are not married and who havn't spend years living together in another country. As we were hardly going to rush into marriage so soon, a visitor visa seemed the only option.
You've done the right thing given the situation and you've stayed within the time constraints, the key is not to look like someone trying to settle on a visitor visa.

My wife and I did the same thing when we were "courting" (if I can use that word) - she had a visitor visa and would come and go on visits, just as I would to see her.
c) Could anyone enlighten me on 'Settlement visas' and 'citizenship' that have been mentioned? Other than our relationship, she doesn't have any other reason to be here/anything other advantage over anyone else who wants to move here. Whatever fees it would cost are not a problem.
Already been covered. It's a long process - 3-4 years and it will cost upwards of £4k ignoring flights etc.
d) Would the travel patterns, r.e. an eventual student visa be that strange???
On the example you've given of student visa no - but the strangeness I referred to was about long visitor visas quickly one after the other as in your first few lines of your OP.

I genuinely hope you can find a way to be together.

M.

mochyn
Diamond Member

Post by mochyn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:32 pm

MPH80 wrote:

A good example here is that the UK does not have a 'family reunion' visa and you will see many postings on here about how hard it is to bring non-dependant relatives (e.g. brothers/sisters/mothers/fathers) over. The UK authorities don't see it as their job to allow extended families to travel/be together unless it's absolutely necessary and even then it's a real tough job to get them in.

European law is a bit different, especially in their definition of 'partner' - hence why I mentioned the european law route. Don't dismiss this option too quickly - Ireland would be considered Europe for this purpose and you'd only have to be there for 6 months or so. Sadly European rules don't apply unless you are in another member state.

M.
European law route would not be a viable option as the OP has a regular job and a daily commute between Ireland and Wales is not feasible.
Unless you are willing to wait until she gets a student visa thus spending 6 months apart, the only feasible option is the fiancee visa

MPH80
Respected Guru

Post by MPH80 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:54 pm

European law route would not be a viable option as the OP has a regular job and a daily commute between Ireland and Wales is not feasible.
I agree and my understanding is that if he wasn't working in Ireland (merely living) he wouldn't be exercising his treaty rights would he?

My point was more that he might be able to continue that career (albeit perhaps not this same job) in Ireland for a period - enabling him to be exercising his treaty rights and thus bring his girlfriend in as a partner before returning to the UK under EU rules.

Ireland might work because it's close to home, english speaking and has some good beer!
Unless you are willing to wait until she gets a student visa thus spending 6 months apart, the only feasible option is the fiancee visa
I agree, if you aren't willing to do long return trips to the USA and you cannot possibly leave the job you are in, that a fiancee visa is the only logical path. Sometimes I think you just have to take a leap of faith on these things.

... but then it's working out well for my wife and I so far.

For info - my wife and I worked out that we'd actually only spent about 6-7 months in each others presence before we got married and it was only about 3 months when I proposed.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:23 pm

hwyl wrote: She's arriving a week on Saturday, so it's obviously too late to apply for a change in visa status for this visit.
Is this impending visit for six months?

If so, then she'd better have a damn good reason why she is staying for so long. In addition unless she can show the IO that she has every intention of returning home after six months, eg a job to return to, then she faces the real prospect of being refused entry and returned to the US that very day.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:33 pm

mochyn wrote: Maybe it is not the timeframe you want but if you love each other then it shouldn't matter.
Fiancee visa may be your best bet
I agree with this. The fiancee visa seems to be the best option in your situation. Or you can get married in the us on the visa waiver and your gf can apply for a spousal. Unfortunately there is no shacking up visa!
I tell it like it is.

hwyl
Newly Registered

Post by hwyl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:38 pm

Thanks for all your help so far guys and girls. Apologies about my naivety - this is something I've never had to think about before and I just assumed it would so much more easygoing and flexible!

On the whole 'intent' thing, I appreciate it's not a value judgement. But having scrutinised the visa categories, other than 'Visitor', what other category visa could she obtain??? Without reading the descriptions, I would have naturally thought that 'unmarried partner' was the perfect description of her needs...until I read that we needed to have co-habited for two years previously. How that would be achieved in the first place within the restrictions of the visa regime is not explained. As people have noted, there's no 'relationship' visa...but if the UK Borders Agency is concerned about 'intent', they should ponder the logic of insisting on a two year co-habitation, whilst at the same time making it more or less impossible to accrue two years cohabition! Until the do that, people in our shoes will have to be 'visitors'.

Ok, rant over. Like Mochyn mentioned, I have a pretty good job and career here and can't really pack it all in, move to Ireland, maybe not find a job, and spend all my savings in the hope of a European back route. The work's not particularly transferrable unfortunatley - and I guess my girlfriend would still have to battle with an Irish visa and any other complications! On top of all that, I may well be a long time out of work when I finally return home (given the economic situation).

Just one last question guys (or girls) - when my girlfriend fill in her visa on arrival card and answers questions at border control...is it fine to allude that we're in a relationship and I'll be supporting her??? Or is it better to act as if she's staying with a friend and doing some sightseeing/discovering her roots? I can just see questions being raised about her ability to fund herself for six months if she doesn't mention me as support on the one hand. On the other hand, if we eventually go down the fiancee route, it's going to be beneficial to have it recorded that we spent six months living together.

On a personal note, I wouldn't be particularly opposed to marriage myself but my girlfriend's still young, ambitious, and the world's her oyster. Under normal circumstances we'd just be enjoying ourselves and seeing how it goes for a while. Little girls grow up dreaming of their wedding day but being pressured into a quick and cheap marriage so she doesn't get kicked out in six months isn't the stuff dreams are made of. We all know that mass immigration is a big public concern and electoral issue...but we also all know that a young American girl wanting to live with her Welsh boyfriend is hardly what people are talking about.

Thanks again for all your help and best wishes.

P.S. I've just read INSIDER's post and am seriously worried! Yes, she's staying for six months but has a return plane ticket. She's of Welsh descent and will tell them that she wants to discover her roots and learn the language. She has accommodation with me and I'm able to support her financially. Why would this be a problem? I didn't know why she's have to explain wanting to stay for so long. If that stay's available, why wouldn't a holiday maker take it? If it helps having a job to return to, I can brief her to mention that she's on a career break. Do you think all would cut it? Again, I would never have thought it so stict - it's not North Korea!

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:09 pm

hwyl wrote:
P.S. I've just read INSIDER's post and am seriously worried! Yes, she's staying for six months but has a return plane ticket. She's of Welsh descent and will tell them that she wants to discover her roots and learn the language. She has accommodation with me and I'm able to support her financially. Why would this be a problem? I didn't know why she's have to explain wanting to stay for so long. If that stay's available, why wouldn't a holiday maker take it? If it helps having a job to return to, I can brief her to mention that she's on a career break. Do you think all would cut it? Again, I would never have thought it so stict - it's not North Korea!
hwyl,

My advice is as follows:

1.She has to answer any questions by the IO honestly. Believe me it helps. If she conceals material facts like you are her boyfriend then her goose is cooked.
2. It would be best for her to show financial independence.i.e she is not relying solely on you. She should have with her a current bank statement/s evidencing this.
3. Proof of employment. If she is on a career break then she should hold a letter from her employer confirming this and crucially stating that her job is still open to her when she returns.
4. I know she is an adult and indpendent from her parents, but if either or both parents are lawyers or professional people a letter from them supporting her and willingness to make money available if needs must and that they fully expect her back will also help her credibility.

In summary she has to satisfy the IO that she will not be working while here-being financially independent-goes some way to supporting this. In addition, she must be able to show that she has every reason to return back home at the end of the visit.

Good luck.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:19 pm

Marriage doesn't stop people from being ambitious imo. She can still do what she wants and better yet, do it with you in her life. I would take a quick wedding over months and months of seperation any day. By the way, it doesn't have to be cheap ;)

She should deffo not lie at the border. If she gets caught out (and it has been done!) then she can get refused for deception and get a ban. Especially in your case in which she will be staying with you and be supported by you. She needs to have strong ties to the us and show proof. She can't just say "I had a job but I'm now on a career break." Usually people provide a letter from their employer to say that they'll need to return. Oh it's hard and very strict my friend!
I tell it like it is.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:20 pm

Assuming your girlfriend is an American citizen, as a consequence of that, a non-visa national,she could enter 6 months prior to her course, and then apply for student visa in the UK before the commencement of her course. That way, she would have accrued six months prior to the start of the course, and would be able to apply 18 months later.

I hope this will be of help.

Unfortunately America is not a party to the youth mobility scheme, that would have been a better way of accruing the required 2 years cohibition
Last edited by Obie on Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:21 pm

It's fine for couples to visit one another. In fact, it makes for good supporting evidence of a relationship likely to lead to marriage if/when you come to apply for a fiancé visa.

The problem your gf may have is that if she arrives in the UK and tells border officers that she's coming to stay with you for 6 months, they are likely to ask her more questions about your relationship, with the alram bell ringing that her intent is actually to stay permanently. She's then on the back foot in terms of having to persuade them that she intends to return.

THat is not to say she should pretend she is here to research her Welsh roots for 6 months if that's simply not true. If she's not straight with the border officials, then it is likely to affect a future student application (although not a spouse/fiancé visa). DO NOT "act as if" anything!

Is there a reason she can't visit for a shorter period? You don't have to stay in the UK for 6 months just because that's what you're granted. Could she visit for shorter periods but more regularly? That might be of more use to you in developing your relationship, if you're not sure about committing to a marriage. Fill in the in-between times with instant messaging, phone calls and Skype: it's hard, but lots of couples do it. Living together is absolutely not a prerequisite for a fiancée visa at a later date.

hwyl
Newly Registered

Post by hwyl » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Thanks for your help INSIDER. So, the fact that I'll be housing her and supporting her doesn't really come into it?

I'm sure she'd rather be honest and admit that she's here for her boyfriend but doesn't that present the visitor - leading to settlement suspicion?

She'll be flying to Bristol and when I landed back from America in June, the border controls only seemed to be asked very perfunctory questions. I didn't see anyone having to show anything or get a grilling. But thanks a lot for your advice. What do you reckon she could say about our partner status? I'm just a bit frustrated that we're having to work out a covert plan as if we're doing something illegal when we're not. Americans are entitled to visitor visas of up to six months.

Kitty

Post by Kitty » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:29 pm

Obie wrote:Assuming your girlfriend is an American citizen, as a consequence of that, a non-visa national,she could enter 6 months prior to her course, and then apply for student visa in the UK before the commencement of her course. That way, she would have accrued six months prior to the start of the course, and would be able to apply 18 months later.

Can she switch to Tier 4 from visitor status? Or do you mean she can come as a prospective student without a visa?

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:40 pm

Kitty wrote:
Obie wrote:Assuming your girlfriend is an American citizen, as a consequence of that, a non-visa national,she could enter 6 months prior to her course, and then apply for student visa in the UK before the commencement of her course. That way, she would have accrued six months prior to the start of the course, and would be able to apply 18 months later.

Can she switch to Tier 4 from visitor status? Or do you mean she can come as a prospective student without a visa?
Has to be a switch from prospective student not just a regular visitor.
I tell it like it is.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:41 pm

hwyl wrote: Americans are entitled to visitor visas of up to six months.
Americans are not entitled to anything in the uk. It's a privilege not a right to stay in the uk.
I tell it like it is.

INSIDER

Post by INSIDER » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:44 pm

Kitty wrote:

She cannot switch and would definitely need to return to the USA to obtain a student EC.

HWLY

Any visitor seeking to be in the UK for the maximum time allowable to a visitor will be scrutinized more than someone who is here for a two week holiday.
Any IO worth his or her salt when faced with such an application will want to know at the very least how such a person intends to support themself for that length of time. Then there is the question as to how is it you are able to be away from whatever it is that normally keeps you home.eg job,studies etc.

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:48 pm

INSIDER wrote:
She cannot switch and would definitely need to return to the USA to obtain a student EC.
She can switch from prospective student which is like a 6 month visitor visa but she has to make it clear that this is what she's here for and not just a reg. visit.
I tell it like it is.