ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Children Tax Credit Query

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

raikal

Children Tax Credit Query

Post by raikal » Fri Mar 19, 2004 1:23 pm

Hi,

Are the work permit holders entitled for Child Tax credit ? As of now it is not part of social benefit right...

I sent a mail to Home office regarding the same and there is no reply.

Does anyone know about this ?

Thanks

tvt

Post by tvt » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:36 am

No, as long as they are subject to immigration control and are not from Turkey, Morocco, Tunisia and the new EU accession countries.
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

ajani

Post by ajani » Thu Apr 08, 2004 11:50 am

Hello,
Child Tax Credit does not appear on the list of UK public funds and i personally think it is ok for work permit holders to take it.

raikal

Post by raikal » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:25 pm

thanks guys/gals.

I read HSMP notes and it is mentioned in that shortly it is going to be treated as a public fund.

Then I sent a mail to Home offcie asking about the same, they have replied saying I should be contacting benefit agency to find out the same.

Soon, I wlll be going for ILR...I am really scared if this is going to cause problem to me.

please advise

tdabash

Post by tdabash » Thu Apr 08, 2004 3:34 pm

Hi there

Please do not worry about your application for ILR.

Even if you had child tax credit, it can not be classified as Public fund. Simply, you pay the tax man who takes from you a little bit less because you have a child. The point here is ' you pay' you did not take other's taxpayers money.

For better understanding to child tax credit please visit the following site
http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/wtc2.htm#a1

In the immigration law though, the following is a list of public funds as defined in the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999 and the Immigration Rules:

•Income based Jobseekers' Allowance (JSA);
•attendance allowance;
•severe disablement allowance;
•invalid care allowance;
•disability living allowance;
•income support;
•working families' tax credit;
•disabled person's tax credit;
•a social fund payment;
•child benefit;
•housing benefit;
•council tax benefit; or
•housing and homelessness assistance.

Please refer to the following site http://194.203.40.90/default.asp?PageId=786

I suggest you apply for your IRL without any mention to the child tax credit. If they made a mistake and refuse your application, they would stand no chance against you. It is the power of law.

Good luck

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:05 pm

Just to add my 0.002 p,

Not too sure about this but I suspect/recall the Working Families Tax Credit (WFTC) being amended in April 2003 and being split into Working Tax Credit (WTC) and Child Tax Credit (CTC) components with the latter complementing Child Benefit. WFTC is on the public funds list but CTC is not specifically on it - however it could be argued that CTC is a constituent of WFTC and hence would not be eligible for those with 'no recourse to public funds'. I also recall vaguely on the old board people who were on WP's and got told they were not eligible for CTC. The definitive response would have to be from the Inland Revenue. Do you intend to claim CTC or have you been claiming it?

tdabash

Post by tdabash » Thu Apr 08, 2004 7:56 pm

Hi there,

FROM INLAND REVENUE WE FIND:

From April 2003, Child Tax Credit is the main way that families will get money for their children, and for 16-18 year olds in education. The amount you get is based on your income. You can claim whether or not you are in work. It replaces the old tax credits and benefits with a single system - so all families with children, with an income up to £58,000 a year (or up to £66,000 a year if there is a child under one year old), will be able to claim in the same way.

Working Tax Credit supports working people, helping to top up earnings.

How much can I get?

Child Tax Credit will be paid in addition to Child Benefit.
................................................................................

The table below provides a guide to how much you could receive for the tax year 2003-04 (that is, 6 April 2003 to 5 April 2004) if you do not qualify for Working Tax Credit. (The weekly figures are for illustration only.)

If your child is under one year old or has a disability, then the amount you can receive will be higher.

http://www.inlandrevenue.gov.uk/pdfs/wtc2.htm#b

FROM IMMIGRATION LAW WE FIND

2.3. Working Families' Tax Credit

Working Families' Tax Credit is a non-contributory benefit which is payable to working families on low or middle incomes who are employed for at least 16 hours a week and who have at least one child to support. Although persons subject to the condition prohibiting recourse to public funds are not eligible to claim this tax credit, there is one exception; the foreign spouse or unmarried partner of a person present and settled in the United Kingdom.

Under Inland Revenue regulations a person is considered to be resident in Great Britain if his or her spouse or unmarried partner is settled here. Where a family includes a foreign spouse or unmarried partner and the family is in receipt of working families' tax credit this should not be considered as recourse to public funds.

Obviously the candidate here is working, paying tax and has got just a little relief under the name of child tax credit. She does not take any money from the other tax payers.

If HO classified her (by mistake) as having a child benefit, I would argue that she has been discriminated as why a working British citizen would have such a tax relief whilst the candidate here is not entitled to it, especially if salaries are the same and tax is the same.

I think the confusion here by the IMHO about the issue came from the fact that IR would also give child tax credit to those who do not work but through the department of work. Where does IR get the money from?

I WOULD NOT EVEN MENTION IT IN APPLICATION OF ILR.

tvt

Post by tvt » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:04 am

Raikal,

How long it took the IND to reply to you?
-----------------------------------
<<<N. N. - G. N.>>>

tdabash

Post by tdabash » Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:40 am

Hello there,

Please do not dig a hole for your self on a point where your lawyer can argue easily, in case they got it wrong. Please see above.

Please let IND takes whatever time necessary for them. You will prevail.

Good luck :)

SAA

Post by SAA » Sun Sep 23, 2007 1:56 am

http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 6517843636

Look at this link. It is very clearly says it is a type of public fund :?

tasha75
Member of Standing

Post by tasha75 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:21 pm

SAA wrote:http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/servlet/Front ... 6517843636

Look at thies link. It is very clearly says it is a type of public fund :?
You are only 3.5 years late with this advice. :) Look at the timing of the previous posts, I believe some years ago CTC was not part of public funds.
Do not live your life in fear.

archigabe

Post by archigabe » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:55 pm

Ahhh...the power of google to dig out forgotten posts from the vast underbelly of the internets! :)