ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Proof of address when applying for citizenship

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kotiara

Proof of address when applying for citizenship

Post by Kotiara » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:18 pm

Can I apply for citizenship if I rent a room and don't have any utility bills as proof of address? What happens if i change addresses often and don't have a permanent place to live? Can I in this case provide a remote address (p.o. box) in my application?

mrlookforward
BANNED

Post by mrlookforward » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:18 am

They want the address you live in, not a po box address. If you move often, then the best way would be to put the address you live in at the time of application. In the column of correspondence address, put the the address of a friend or relative who you know wont move house until your application's outcome. (make sure this is a person you can trust)

Kotiara

Post by Kotiara » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:57 pm

mrlookforward wrote:They want the address you live in, not a po box address. If you move often, then the best way would be to put the address you live in at the time of application. In the column of correspondence address, put the the address of a friend or relative who you know wont move house until your application's outcome. (make sure this is a person you can trust)

Does it have to be a lawyer or could it be a friend, for example?

nao

Post by nao » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:20 pm

Choose your freind who you can trust fully.
should be ok as long as your freind know about it

Kotiara

Post by Kotiara » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:42 am

nao wrote:Choose your freind who you can trust fully.
should be ok as long as your freind know about it
I have read the instructions to the naturalisation form and my understanding is that this person has to be an immigration lawyer or agent registered with the relevant body.
Solicitor/representative

OISC and Immigration Advice
Immigration or nationality advisers acting in the course of business (whether paid or
unpaid) are regulated by the Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner (OISC),
an independent body. The provision of such advice is prohibited unless a person works
for an organisation registered with, or exempted by, the OISC or is authorised to
practise (like solicitors and barristers) by a designated professional body.
Certain categories (e.g. public health bodies) are exempted from the regulatory scheme
by Ministerial Order. It is a criminal offence to provide advice or services in
contravention of the regulatory scheme.
Further information about the regulatory scheme can be obtained from:
Office of the Immigration Services Commissioner
5th Floor
Counting House
Tooley Street
LONDON SE1 2QN
Tel: 020 7211 1500
Fax: 020 7211 1553
A full list of OISC regulated advisers is available on its website at www.oisc.gov.uk
Do I understand correctly that I only have 2 options in terms of using addresses for correspondence with HO following my naturalisation application

- use my home address or
- use my lawyer's address?

Is there no way I can provide my friend's addrss or a mail forwarding address for correspondence?