ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Checking status of application whilst you are abroad

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Kotiara

Checking status of application whilst you are abroad

Post by Kotiara » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:15 pm

I'm going to apply for citizenship, then stay in the UK for about a month following the application, and then temporatily move abroad for anywhere from a few months to a couple of years. There is no way for me to postpone the trip abroad, which is for family/personal reasons. I can travel, more than once if necessary, to the UK for citizenship ceremony and passport application.

I live alone in the UK and there is nobody who can check my mail and notify me when/if the naturalisation approval letter has arrived. Is there any way I can check the status of my application by calling UKBA? For example, if I call and find out that my application has been approved then I'll just fly to the UK and arrange a private naturalisation ceremony.

Is there any other way to handle this situation? I could set up mail redirection to an address abroad, but I'm not sure how prompt Royal Mail are with redirection to different countries.

beeba

Re: Checking status of application whilst you are abroad

Post by beeba » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Kotiara wrote:I'm going to apply for citizenship, then stay in the UK for about a month following the application, and then temporatily move abroad for anywhere from a few months to a couple of years. There is no way for me to postpone the trip abroad, which is for family/personal reasons. I can travel, more than once if necessary, to the UK for citizenship ceremony and passport application.

I live alone in the UK and there is nobody who can check my mail and notify me when/if the naturalisation approval letter has arrived. Is there any way I can check the status of my application by calling UKBA? For example, if I call and find out that my application has been approved then I'll just fly to the UK and arrange a private naturalisation ceremony.

Is there any other way to handle this situation? I could set up mail redirection to an address abroad, but I'm not sure how prompt Royal Mail are with redirection to different countries.
Keeping this in mind..
If you are not married or in a civil partnership to a British citizen tell us in which country you intend to have your principal home if you are naturalised.

You can telephone direct from abroad on + 44 151 672 5626. Phone lines are open 0900 to 1700 Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays.

Over the phone they are NOT going to tell you either your application is successful or not but they could tell you that they have made the decision and have posted you the decision letter. You will have to call your council within 14 days (from the letter date) to book your ceremony.

Regards,

Kotiara

Post by Kotiara » Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:51 pm

beeba wrote:
Kotiara wrote:I'm going to apply for citizenship, then stay in the UK for about a month following the application, and then temporatily move abroad for anywhere from a few months to a couple of years. There is no way for me to postpone the trip abroad, which is for family/personal reasons. I can travel, more than once if necessary, to the UK for citizenship ceremony and passport application.

Keeping this in mind..
If you are not married or in a civil partnership to a British citizen tell us in which country you intend to have your principal home if you are naturalised.

You can telephone direct from abroad on + 44 151 672 5626. Phone lines are open 0900 to 1700 Monday to Friday, excluding bank holidays.

Over the phone they are NOT going to tell you either your application is successful or not but they could tell you that they have made the decision and have posted you the decision letter. You will have to call your council within 14 days (from the letter date) to book your ceremony.

Regards,
I don't intend to move out of the UK permanently, but I intend to spend some time in the US due to personal circumstances.

Thanks for the phone number.

Are you sure I only have 14 days from the date of the letter? I thought it was 90 days.

What happens if the approval letter arrives late? I have read on this forum that it took some approval letters one or two weeks to arrive.

If I book a private ceremony, can I choose another council or do I have to do it at my council?

beeba

Post by beeba » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:23 am

14 days to contact your local Council or the Council which you prefer for your ceremony (You will have to mention on AN form for this)

You will have to attend ceremony within 90 Days.

For 14 days they (Councils) may be a little flexible if you give any good reason, better to call the council and confirm before giving their details on the form.

If you want to have your ceremony at another council you better mention it in the form AN when you apply cause you may not be able to change after the decision and also it would be a lengthy process.

Good Luck.