ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Open University Higher Eduction Qualification for English

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kanimeni

Open University Higher Eduction Qualification for English

Post by kanimeni » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:27 am

hi Experts,

I am from India and I have done Post Graduation (MSc- Computer Science)from Karnataka State Open University. As I started collecting all required documents need your advice on below concern.

The point calculator URL recognized the university (Karnataka State Open University and The Masters Degree offered.

Varified http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

But the concern is - Since I have done this course in Distance Eduction (being from Open University), Can I claim this Masters Degree for my 'English' language skills qualifying marks ALSO?

And YES this course was instructed in ENGLISH and I got a letter on University letter head that course is instructecd in ENGLISH.

Please help me.

Regards
Sekhar

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Re: Open University Higher Eduction Qualification for Englis

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:43 am

kanimeni wrote:hi Experts,

I am from India and I have done Post Graduation (MSc- Computer Science)from Karnataka State Open University. As I started collecting all required documents need your advice on below concern.

The point calculator URL recognized the university (Karnataka State Open University and The Masters Degree offered.

Varified http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/pointscalculator

But the concern is - Since I have done this course in Distance Eduction (being from Open University), Can I claim this Masters Degree for my 'English' language skills qualifying marks ALSO?

And YES this course was instructed in ENGLISH and I got a letter on University letter head that course is instructecd in ENGLISH.

Please help me.

Regards
Sekhar
Does this degree award you points for English language requirement in the PBS?

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:35 am

Hi aruni4470,

Thanks for the reponse, YES ...in the URL there is point wherein they ask 'How would you like to claim points for English language skills?' so I selected ' I have a qualification that was taught in English' as a result system (URL) has displayed my highest qualification that i did from Karnataka State Open University and with 10 points for English language Skills.

Please advise me.

With Regards
Sekhar

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:22 am

kanimeni wrote:Hi aruni4470,

Thanks for the reponse, YES ...in the URL there is point wherein they ask 'How would you like to claim points for English language skills?' so I selected ' I have a qualification that was taught in English' as a result system (URL) has displayed my highest qualification that i did from Karnataka State Open University and with 10 points for English language Skills.

Please advise me.

With Regards
Sekhar
If the PBS calculator, awards points for your degree in English Language requirement, then you can claim points for English language requirement..

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:33 am

Hi aruni4470,

Thank you very much for the response.
Since I did through Open University it's understood that the Mater's Degree was through Distance Eduction. Thus, you mean to say...the given qualification qualifies for English Language Points as well.

By the Way - I have already got a letter from University (on university letter head) stateting that I have done this 2 years course and the medium of the instruction is in 'English'.

Regards
Sekhar

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:19 pm

IMO long distance or not, if the degree fetches you points under the English language requirement in the PBS, you are good to go.

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:03 pm

Thank you very much. One last concern for clarification.

Upto my graduation ( BSc) the medium of instruction was in my Mother Tongue and 3 years Diploma (GNIIT) from NIIT and Distance Eduction Master's Degree (MSc-Computer Science) was in ENGLISH.

so now, the UK consulate take into consideration only my Mater's Degree into consideration for English Language Skills points or do they take into consideration my upto Graduation medium of instruction and force me for IELTS?

Please help me with this.

Regards
sekhar

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:54 pm

can some one please help me with this request.

Regards
sekhar

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:01 pm

BHC will consider the qualification that you provide evidence of, for parameters that you have claimed on basis of qualification(s).

Explain why you need to provide evidence of both qualifications in your application - Does one qualification gives you points for qualification but doesn't for English language and the second qualification gives you points for English language but not for qualification?

Does your degree certificate (for either qualification) explicitly mention that the medium of instruction was a language other than English?

regards

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:17 pm

sushdmehta wrote:BHC will consider the qualification that you provide evidence of, for parameters that you have claimed on basis of qualification(s).

Explain why you need to provide evidence of both qualifications in your application - Does one qualification gives you points for qualifications but doesn't for English language" And the second qualification givves you points for English language but not for qualification?

Does your degree certificate (for either qualification) explicitly mention that the medium of instruction was a language other than English?

regards

hi sushdmehta,

Thanks for your reply.

When I did myself with PBS URL - I used only my Master's Degree which was recognized by PBS URL and I got the letter from University stating that the medium of the course was in 'ENGLISH'. And as per PBS - URL, i got both University & eligibility for English skills'.

But when I submit my application, i may got to submit all my qualifications original certificates. Meaning i will be sumitting my 10th, +2, Graduation certificates along with Master's Degree, so....since i did in my mother tongue upto Graduation (Bsc), would UK Consulte force me for IELTS or do the only consider only my master's degree and proceed with the approvals?

Thank you so much for your time & valuable suggestion

Regards
sekhar

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:43 pm

In effect, and as I see it, your questions stem from either not understanding the policy guidance or not reading it at all but relying on PBS calculator instead.

1. Letter from university that the medium of instruction and examination was English is as good as, if I may say so, toilet paper.
2. You only need to submit evidence of qualification(s) that awards you required points. So when one qualification gives you points for both parameters (qualification and english) you only need to submit evidence of that one qualification even though you may possess more than one qualifications.

Where does it state that you have to include 10+2 certificates in your Tier 1 (General) application?

Tip: read the policy guidance *carefully*.

regards