ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

On Tier-1 -- Can I register with HMRC as self-employed?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

need_a_tier1

On Tier-1 -- Can I register with HMRC as self-employed?

Post by need_a_tier1 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:22 pm

Hello there,

I currently hold a Tier-1 and am working full-time in permanent employment. My partner who is a Tier-1 Dependant works part-time in a permanent role as well.

We both are planning to register as self-employed with HMRC to start doing contract work - involving an umbrella company on evenings and weekends. We have been told that registering as self-employed is an essential requirement to pursue that opportunity. We plan to do this in addition to our permanent roles.

I need to know that are there any restrictions for Tier-1 holders/dependants to register as self-employed with HMRC.

Are we going to break any immigration rule if we register as self-employed with HMRC which may effect our ILR eligibility in future (if ILR is still there next year).

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:06 pm

You and your dependant can register as self-employed.

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:23 am

aruni4470 wrote:You and your dependant can register as self-employed.
Thanks!!. We have decided to take the plunge and see how it goes.

But, I am concerned that when to try and apply for ILR in 2011 (if ILR is still there next year), I will be asked for extra documentation than the routine OR I will be subject to extra checks than the routine checks.

I believe I will still get my P60 from my permanent employment and the end of this tax year.

Do UKBA check any history related with the NI number of the applicant when they apply for ILR (in person at PEO or by post)?

Thanks again.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:39 pm

Tier 1 (General) migrants are not subject to restrictions regarding employment or self-employment. If you wish, you (and your dependent) may run 10 businesses along with your regular employment or have 3 regular employments for that matter!

Just like everyone else, you'll be subject to the same verification(s) at the time of settlement as applicable at the time of the application.

regards