ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

council tax and ILR

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

immi74
Newly Registered

council tax and ILR

Post by immi74 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:14 pm

hello all ,

if i havent paid council tax for the last few years and will be applying for ILR soon , will this matter?
i have not received a letter from the council but i think i may get a letter which will start the process of appeal and how to pay (in installments or in one go).

will this affect my ILR application ? i read somewhere that as long as there arent any court orders , than it should be fine.

immi

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:47 pm

immi74 wrote:i read somewhere that as long as there arent any court orders , than it should be fine.

immi
Where? May not be as simple as that!

See also Friend s ILR refused.

regards

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:16 pm

With unpaid Council Tax, you run a high risk of having your application refused.

sweetmeat
Newly Registered

Post by sweetmeat » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:46 pm

immi74 were u getting letters b4 asking you to pay council tax?

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:47 pm

You can be jailed for not paying CT! one of the few debts you can be sent to prison for....
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

cardiffseller
Newly Registered

Post by cardiffseller » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:59 pm

I also had the same problems last year, I thought my landlord will sort it out but she didnt. However I have already started paying this year and I will be applying in Dec 2010, is that still OK??

immi74
Newly Registered

letters for CT

Post by immi74 » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:49 am

hi guys ,

thanks for the replies. i havent got letters yet , but i got them in my previous address from the council and i sorted it out. i was sort of waiting for the same process to happen again.
i think it is easier to do this and to start chasing the council , from my experience anyway.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:38 am

But you say you haven't paid council tax for years. As Wanderer has said, you're facing prosecution and risking a custodial sentence...apart from having ILR refused.

cardiffseller
Newly Registered

Post by cardiffseller » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:10 pm

I my case, if I didnt pay last year (because landlord forgot to register) but I am now already started paying council tax, is that going to be OK?

Please advise.
Thank you.

alikhan28
BANNED

Post by alikhan28 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:05 pm

cardiffseller wrote:I my case, if I didnt pay last year (because landlord forgot to register) but I am now already started paying council tax, is that going to be OK?

Please advise.
Thank you.
If you have started paying council tax then you would be ok.

Remember you can ask council that you had missed last years payments and they can make a plan for 12 months installments.You can sort this out.

Ali
..................................................................................................
This is simply a general discussion not an immigration advice. I not necessarily correct on everything I would say. I am learning too

m_k_p
Newly Registered

Post by m_k_p » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:12 am

Hi all
i live in a property where council tax is paid by landlord, just wants to check will it be a issue for ilr
i did contacted council to let them know and they said yes the landlord for the property is responsible for the council tax
can someone please advise me on the issue

Thanks in Advance

wpilr_nov12
Diamond Member

Post by wpilr_nov12 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:29 am

If you are named on the Council Tax, then it is your responsibility - from ILR documentation perspective.

If you live at the property - then it is your responsibility - from Council / Legal perspective.

However, best to check with the council what the situation is.
Please do not send me PM if I haven't sent you one yet.
My ILR, MN1 and kids PP stories.

cs95tdg
Diamond Member

Post by cs95tdg » Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:40 am

If you live in shared accomodation, or with a live-in landlord, then your council tax may be included as part of the rent you pay (& your tenancy agreement). I.e. the landlord is responsible for paying the council tax.

But if not, as far as I'm aware, you as the resident would be liable to pay council tax for the property (i.e. not the landlord or owner of the property). As already suggested. do check with the council to understand where you stand.