ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question Regarding wife's citizenship eligibility?. Help!!!

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lella
Newly Registered

Question Regarding wife's citizenship eligibility?. Help!!!

Post by lella » Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi Forum,

I have been living in this country for more than 6 years. I am on ILR now. Soon applying for Citizenship. I got few questions about my wife's eiligibility for citizenship. Please help

Question 1:
My wife entered in this country on Feb-2006, been living in this country for nearly 4.5 years. Is she eligible for the Citizenship?

Question 2:
My wife is out of the country for more than 3 months twice in the 4.5 years. Is this going to cause any problem?

Regards
G.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: Question Regarding wife's citizenship eligibility?. Help

Post by geriatrix » Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:37 pm

lella wrote:My wife entered in this country on Feb-2006, been living in this country for nearly 4.5 years.
On which visa did she enter UK and what is her visa status now?
lella wrote:My wife is out of the country for more than 3 months twice in the 4.5 years. Is this going to cause any problem?
Difficult to say without knowing the answers of the questions above.

regards

lella
Newly Registered

Post by lella » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Please find the answer to the above questions.

First time when she entered in the UK, she was on Workpermit Dependent visa.

At present she in the country on ILR. She got the ILR in last May, after that she went to india for 4 months. and she went to india for 3 months in 2006.

Regards
G

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:42 pm

Two possible routes:
1. You wife may apply for naturalisation in Feb. 2011 (after completing 5 years stay in the UK) subject to her meeting the standard requirements
2. Once you receive British citizenship, your wife may apply for naturalisation any day - subject to her meeting the requirements for spouses and civil partners.

The issue here is that your wife made a 4 month trip abroad after receiving settlement. As you'll note from the links above one is not allowed more than 90 days absence in the year preceding the naturalisation application. Therefore, your wife will have to defer her naturalisation application until such time that her absences fall within the permissible limit(s).

regards