ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Why to become a Biritsh Citizen?

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Masterixas
Liechtenstein

Why to become a Biritsh Citizen?

Post by Masterixas » Wed Aug 25, 2010 6:22 pm

I'm an EEA citiezen living in the UK since 2000. Have already applied (although not required) for a PR certificate (blue card) a few years ago just to have it in case I may need.

I could already apply for citizenship since 2006, but haven't done so due to the high fees versus the justifications for it.

I mean over £800 (now) must justify a good reason for it in my opinon. I love the country and enjoy the culture otherwise wouldn't be here this long, but apart from that whatelse would justify spending £800 to have an UK passport?

On my EEA passport I can:

Visit almost any european country without a visa.

Visit Canada and the US for 3 months with no visa requirements (although on UK passport for 6 months but who cares...)

Can engage in almost any employment avaiable and have the same rights adn benefits as British has except voting for national elections (but again who cares).

Is there any other reason anyone can throw at me that I haven't yet think of that can justify the investement? I even have took the live in the UK test in case I wish to apply later one but can't decide why for. I suppose it's better to have 2 citizenships then one but.. :P

An interesting one... my wife is a non EEA citizen and her visa under EEA family permit was free but if I was an UK citizen I would need to pay for it. Also her mother who is my mother-in-law, come to the UK almost once a year to see us and apply under EEA family visa which again is free, but if I was a Brit she would need to apply for a normal visitor visa which would cost her money. Honestly I see many more disadvantages than advantages but again I may be missing something big that justifies that sort of money.

Any thoughts? :idea:

hampine
Newly Registered

Post by hampine » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:37 pm

No offence i dont think anybody will be willing to help you bcos like you rightly said YOU DONT CARE. So pls make way from this nice forum because so many people have got important stuff to talk about.

Masterixas
Liechtenstein

Post by Masterixas » Wed Aug 25, 2010 8:52 pm

First I didn't ask for help I only ask for opinions and ideas. If you have none you just lost an opportunity to do something else rather than reply.

Second you have no right to tell me what to do inclusive to leave this nice forum. If it's a nice forum then you seem the odd one here.

Last and not the least if you have more important stuff to talk about it's a shame that you have spend time to send me a lame reply.

ps. have already received four Private messages with actually very nice inputs. Seems that you are the one missing something in here. No offence though

:wink:

Sky_High
Member of Standing

Post by Sky_High » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:27 pm

To be honest - as EU/EAA member, you will not have any advantage of having British citizenship. However if I would be in your place, I would get BC. You never know comming immigration, EU and benifit rules. In 50 years time every thing might change.

In the mean time If BNP comes into the power than we all will be in the same boat - and the direction will be outside the country.

Masterixas
Liechtenstein

Post by Masterixas » Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:09 pm

Sounds reasonable Sky_High.

Perhaps since my wife will now get her PR, I will wait one more year and they we both apply together. Apparently joint application is cheaper then if we make it separately, and since she is not from the EU and will benefit from having a Biritish passport, I probably will take the opportunity and make mine. Both my kids have British Passport so I guess I don't want to stay the odd one out :lol: