ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR to Citizenship - can u keep your Original Passport

Please post country topics not listed elsewhere.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

iluvGB
Newly Registered

ILR to Citizenship - can u keep your Original Passport

Post by iluvGB » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi there,

fairly new here, tried searching for this, but not much luck

I'm due to apply for the Citizenship in UK, but due to personal circumstances, will be going back to India in a few years time.

Is there any possibilities to just keep the Indian passport and also keep the British Passport without canceling the Indian one.

I mean can I chose to use the Indian passport with the ILR stamp on it whilst traveling around and may be use the GB passport if i visit the US and any other European countries. Will it be legal?

Please don't tear me apart as I'm just a bit confused and is looking for some advice

thanks in advance

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Aug 25, 2010 1:07 pm

The day you are granted British citizenship, you lose the right to be an Indian citizen as India does not allow dual citizenship. And therefore, your Indian passport becomes invalid and using it to travel is illegal.

You are required to surrender your (Indian) passport before you can apply for OCI / PIO / visit visa to India.

regards

newlybritish
Newly Registered

Post by newlybritish » Thu Aug 26, 2010 12:13 pm

sushdmehta,

Would you know once you surrender your Indian passport, do you now get the cancelled passport back or they keep it ?