ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ilr vs citizenship

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

lemurkilo
Newly Registered

ilr vs citizenship

Post by lemurkilo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:48 pm

Hi All,
I will be qualifying for an ILR in 2012. However, I'm not too sure about the advantages of an ILR.
I'm not looking for benefits etc, neither will be I living in the UK for long.
I now wish to go back to my country but the general advise among peers is to get an ILR and then go back so you have the option of coming back to the UK incase I don't like working in my original home!!!!
My question is
a) I've seen on many immigration websites, that if you keep visiting the uk instead of living here on an ILR (ie. to satisfy the 2 yr condition of ILR --not being out of UK for more than 2 yrs)...you are likely to lose your ILR. My question is has anyone experienced this, is this true?

many thanks for your patience

dimsav

Re: ilr vs citizenship

Post by dimsav » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:43 pm

lemurkilo wrote:...I've seen on many immigration websites, that if you keep visiting the uk instead of living here on an ILR (ie. to satisfy the 2 yr condition of ILR --not being out of UK for more than 2 yrs)...you are likely to lose your ILR. My question is has anyone experienced this, is this true?
Yes. Note that there are changes in ILR provisions planned (by previous gov't) to come in force on/after July 2011, see this thread for further discussion and links.

lemurkilo
Newly Registered

Post by lemurkilo » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:21 pm

wow ...so many changes to ILR...looks like i'll have to wait until 2015!!!!
I'm too home sick to wait that long...

many thanks for your reply...much appreciated.