ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IT Job opportunity at Scotland (Edinburgh)

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ssm4u
India

IT Job opportunity at Scotland (Edinburgh)

Post by ssm4u » Thu Aug 26, 2010 5:26 pm

Hi,

I'm planning to come to UK under Tier 1 General Visa for searching a job in the Software Industry as a Business Analyst/ Test Consultant. I'm planning to stay at Edinburgh (Scotland).
1. Could you please tell me what is the IT job prospectus at Edinburgh.
2. How far other prominent locations like london, reeds etc are from Edinburgh.
3. Is it worth trying from Edinburgh or better to stay at london.

Please reply in detail.
ssm4u

kenfrapin

Re: IT Job opportunity at Scotland (Edinburgh)

Post by kenfrapin » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:58 pm

ssm4u wrote:Hi,

I'm planning to come to UK under Tier 1 General Visa for searching a job in the Software Industry as a Business Analyst/ Test Consultant. I'm planning to stay at Edinburgh (Scotland).
1. Could you please tell me what is the IT job prospectus at Edinburgh.
2. How far other prominent locations like london, reeds etc are from Edinburgh.
3. Is it worth trying from Edinburgh or better to stay at london.

Please reply in detail.
Before I reply, can you tell me if there's any particular reason to stay up North for your job hunt?

Your 1st question, based on your skills, has thrown up an interesting point. Its very difficult to compare job openings v/s the potential candidate base and this comparison changes a lot of things.

For example, consider the below
1. 5 IT BA openings where 50 applicants have applied in Edinburgh
2. 50 IT BA openings where 500 applicants have applied in London

Logic and stats say London is better but I personally dont agree. The initial candidate pool where agencies or HR have to shortlist is lower in Edinburgh so in that sense, chances are better up North. However, many may also rightly state that an individual's chances of being picked from the 50 openings in London is much higher than 5 in Edinburgh.

So, its quite difficult to really say if Edinburgh or London is the place to be though conventionally, there's a LOT more IT BA roles in London. YOU need to research more on your major skillsets and domain knowledge within the IT world and see where you stand more chances.

Your 2nd question, unfortunately, is really STUPID :shock:
5 seconds on Google Map will tell you the distance between Edinburgh and London. Another 5 secs and you can find out how long it takes to travel by car or public transport. Also, where is REEDS? And why is it a major destination??

Your 3rd question has an obvious answer - London and the South have more opportunities for BAs and especially BA roles in IT. But you need a lot more cash reserves to sustain a 6 month job hunt in London compared to Edinburgh

All the best and I suggest a little more effort in ensuring you land in the right place. You are the best judge of what's good for you - forum members can only give some guidance that's very generic to the public forum

KP

ssm4u
India

Post by ssm4u » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:03 am

Thanks for your detail reply.
Actually my wife may get posted at Edinburgh. So that is the prime reson to look into that area.

Could you please help me in finding some good consultants who can help me in arranging the interview when I'm at india.
ssm4u

nasirraza_31

Post by nasirraza_31 » Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:09 am

If only that was so simple....No one can do that for you....

Try looking at www.s1jobs.com

Less jobs but less competition. Don't stick to Edinburgh..look for jobs in Glasgow, Dundee, Aberdeen and anywhere you can commute by train in 1-2 hours.