ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Income Support Overstayer/British Citizen

Questions and discussions about claiming benefits while living and working in the UK

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

VT

Income Support Overstayer/British Citizen

Post by VT » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:05 pm

My partner is an overstayer. I've had problems with Tax Credits for 20 weeks. They told me i needed to make a joint claim so i did.
around 14 weeks later, after a whole load of mess, CAB told me i needed to make a single claim because my partner's 'invisible'.. No income.. No status.. Nothing..
They called Tax Office on my behalf and told them i was living on my own now, i felt this was wrong so i called them back myself and told them what had happened.. The advisor spoke to his supervisor and she told him that i SHOULD make a single claim because my partner is practically non existant.
They recieved my claim and are still processing it.

Do the same rules apply to Income Support? Tax Credits are messing me around and i'm living on Child Benefit but at the moment, nothing, as i've spent the payment. CLS told me to claim Income Support and that i should not put my partner on the claim.. when i speak to them i should tell them about my partners status but tell them i want to make a SINGLE CLAIM.

Help?!

egw
Newly Registered

Post by egw » Sun Aug 29, 2010 8:43 pm

you need to make sure your partners not subject to immigration controls in the tax offices eyes, otherwise it will be a joint claim, any claim you have made as single, will be classed as fraud and they will chase you to the ends of the earth for payment, (just finished fighting for the same reasons £20,000 of tax credit overpayments)

be very careful what you say to them, act daft and try not admit its your fault its all recorded and you can get out of any overpayment if they have made a mistake but its a long process.

http://www.taxcc.org/index.html if you struggle with the taxman.

DWP/income support etc, won't care about your partner they are not going to pay a single penny towards them till they have the correct stamps in there passport.
you must also tell any local council housing office about them aswell.

best to get your partners status fixed as fast as possible.