ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Passport application

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:58 am

Well, called them today and apparently my application is in line for 'passport printing' stage... and I should hope to get it by midweek next week... so just a few days over the 2-week timescale.
Although a friend applied after me at the same post office... similar case... and he got his passport within a week!...

basis

Post by basis » Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:05 pm

Good you are nearly there....when they told me abt priting I got passport in my hand on the third working day (one day lost because it was first delivered at home and then diverted to my work place next day).

The red shiny booklet will be urs very soon. Are u planning to go for OCI or PIO next.

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:16 pm

I am filling in my children's passport forms and am having the same problem.

There are clearly two versions. I filled in one set 8 months ago but in the end didn't post them at the time. Now I decided to order the latest version from their office and surprise!! they had a very confusing section 4 in the form.

I will ask them on monday whether I could post the old forms (without section 4) or do I have to now fill in the new ones (with mandatory grandparent's details).

i guess they just want more information for their database/cross-referencing etc.

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:00 pm

don't know how the PO recruite/train these people...I spoke to one this morning to clarify this...she just wasn't sure about anything.

Me: Do I need to provide grandparents details?
PO Lady: "I think so...".
Me: So its mandatory based on new forms.
PO Lady: "Erm...i will go check..". "Yes".

Me: Mine or the wife's parents?
PO Lady: "anyone one..I think..."

Me:But I will sign section 9, So should it be my grandparents?
PO: "yes that makes sense..I think so...."

Me: But they are already registered so is this relevant?
PO: "if the forms asks for it, just fill it in. don't require any documentary evidence"

She did say that one must always use the latest forms and the best way to make sure is to get it from the PO.

sywahu

Post by sywahu » Sun Mar 19, 2006 12:38 pm

aix,

I just spoke to the PO and and they have confirmed that I

"don't need to provide grandparents details if section 5 is filled in".

"for signing section 9 as the father, must send in my passport if I am not british".

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:13 am

I'll have to get one of those... haven't made up my mind as yet. I am not in a rush, so could go the OCI route... just need to make up my mind!

basis wrote: The red shiny booklet will be urs very soon. Are u planning to go for OCI or PIO next.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:26 am

Finally got my passport and documents yesterday... luckily I was home waiting for some stuff to be delivered!

ezh

Post by ezh » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:38 am

Congratulations, mhunjn! - they are after it 8), keep it in a safe place.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:40 am

Thanks... entire process (naturalisation - ppt) took just about 4 months from the date of application...
I know there have been much faster timescales here, but I find even this as quite impressive!...

basis

Post by basis » Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:51 am

Congrats mhunjn....Good luck with PIO / OCI.

FromThere2Here

Post by FromThere2Here » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:34 pm

sywahu wrote:aix,

I just spoke to the PO and and they have confirmed that I

"don't need to provide grandparents details if section 5 is filled in".

"for signing section 9 as the father, must send in my passport if I am not british".
To finish off this question once and for all...

I started filling out my passport application and agree with aix that the instructions on the application itself are confusing. They imply that even if you're a citizen through naturalisation you need to fill out Section 4 and also provide info on grandparents.

However, the intructions form -- "How to fill in your passport application form" -- clearly states under the instructions for Note 4: "If you have applied to the Home Office and you have been granted a certificate of registration or naturalisation, do not fill in this section. Please fill in section 5."

If you get questioned about why information about your grandparents is missing, just show them the instructions!

aix

Post by aix » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:46 am

FromThere2Here,

As it has been pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the "If you have applied to the Home Office..." wording has been removed from the guidance notes. Please carefully re-read the thread and check on which version of the notes you are basing your analysis.

Thanks

FromThere2Here

Post by FromThere2Here » Tue Mar 28, 2006 6:18 pm

Aix,

Interesting. I ordered my application pack from the UKPS web site just the other day, so either they're sending out old packs or they've changed the guidance notes yet again.

Mine is the 14 09.05 version.

aix

Post by aix » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:05 pm

Yes, it's been my experience that packs ordered from UKPS Web site are not up to date. The latest version of the notes I've seen is IL/15 02.06.

confused1

Post by confused1 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:34 pm

Finally received my Biometric or epassport today :D . It's the new one.. it's a lot different from the old one.. it's pages appears to be greenish in colour... and has a chip at the back page. :lol:

It took 4 weeks to process my application. Altough I had sent it by post office check and send service, but the UKPA decided to write to my countersign and asking him about his profession etc... which delayed the application a bit...

But.. I've got my epassport on my hands..and I am happy. :wink:

ezh

Post by ezh » Sat Apr 01, 2006 9:36 pm

Hi confused1,

I have received mine today but it a standard digital passport. How did you manage to get an epassport :roll: or its your fool's day joke :lol:

flyez

Post by flyez » Sun Apr 02, 2006 1:05 am

I emailed UKPS few days ago for this biometric issue, and here is their reply.

At the moment biometric passports are only being issued on a random basis (1 in 10 people will get one on renewing or applying for a first time passport) until the Home Office deems them safe to use.

So it just depend on your luck if you want to apply your passport before the end of August, or wait until the end of August if you are not in a hurry to go abord in next few months.
Last edited by flyez on Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

confused1

Post by confused1 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:41 pm

No No.. honestly they did sent me out an e-passport. It's pages appears greenish in colour..with different bird's water mark..looks good tough.. or might be because it appears a bit different from the traditional one.
ezh wrote:Hi confused1,

I have received mine today but it a standard digital passport. How did you manage to get an epassport :roll: or its your fool's day joke :lol:

ezh

Post by ezh » Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:20 pm

[quote="confused1"]No No.. honestly they did sent me out an e-passport. It's pages appears greenish in colour..with different bird's water mark..looks good tough.. or might be because it appears a bit different from the traditional one.
[quote="ezh"]

Okay, you just won a lottery. Good to you - epassports will increase in price soon, no doubts.

confused1

Post by confused1 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 7:30 pm

Well the price has already increased to £51. So, it will not increase any further. But, it will increase when they'll start handing out that ID card with the passport.
ezh wrote:
confused1 wrote:No No.. honestly they did sent me out an e-passport. It's pages appears greenish in colour..with different bird's water mark..looks good tough.. or might be because it appears a bit different from the traditional one.
ezh wrote:
Okay, you just won a lottery. Good to you - epassports will increase in price soon, no doubts.

ezh

Post by ezh » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:29 am

[quote="confused1"Well the price has already increased to £51. So, it will not increase any further. But, it will increase when they'll start handing out that ID card with the passport./quote]

Wake up, confused :D

the price of £51 exists for quite simetime already. I paid it for a standart digital passport, not for an epassport!!! Got my passport at the same day as you got your epassport. The further increase quite likely to happen by October when all the issued passports will be of the e-version. There is some indication that the new price will be about £100 and the ID cards have nothing to do with that increase in the price - it is just more expencive to make an e-passport. You've been just lucky :D to get one for the price of a standard digital passport. One in a hundred wins an e-passport lottery at the moment.
Last edited by ezh on Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mhunjn

Post by mhunjn » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:42 am

I think 'confused' is actually right. The fee for passports was increased in Nov05. The next increase later this year will be to account for e-ppt AND for the ID card.

flyez

Post by flyez » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:10 pm

ezh wrote: [
the price of £51 exists for quite simetime already. I paid it for a standart digital passport, not for an epassport!!! Got my passport at the same day as you got your epassport. The further increase quite likely to happen by October when all the issued passports will be of the e-version. There is some indication that the new price wil be about £100 and the ID cards have nothing to do with that increase in the price - it is just more expencive to make an e-passport. You've been just lucky :D to get one for the price of a standard digital passport. One in a hundred wins an e-passport lottery at the moment.
Actually, its one in ten lottery for e-passport as UKPS clearly told me via email (see above).

However, I agree with ezh. that is £51 only for standard machine readable passport, it will be expected to over £100 when e-passport are formally being issued to every applicant in this September/October. :roll:

The fee for ID card is not yet decided at the moment. That's will be another pain in the next few years. :x

ppron747
inactive

Post by ppron747 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:22 pm

My own view when the price hike was announced was that it was an interim measure, necessitated by the fact the biometric passports are being phased in over a period of months in UK, so for some time it will be impossible to predict whether you get a biometric one or a "vanilla" one. I think it is quite likely that once they go 100% biometric in UK, there will be a further increase, and that this won't necessarily wait until the passport is associated with an ID card.

The FCO have been able to set separate fees for biometric and non-biometirc passports, because the way they are phasing it in means that you can always predict whether you're going to get a biometric passport when you apply overseas. If you apply in Washington, biometric is the only option, and if you apply anywhere else, "vanilla" is the only option - for now, at least. So they always know which fee to collect.

You couldn't have a two-fee situation in UK, because until the system is fully rolled out, the question of whether you get a biometric passport depends entirely on issuing the capacity of the biometric equipment they've got installed. Imagine the chaos that would ensue if they had to hold back several hundred thousand biometric passports while they wait for people to send a cheque for an extra £X, to pay for the chip....
|| paul R.I.P, January, 2007
Want a 2nd opinion? One will be along shortly....

confused1

Post by confused1 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:08 pm

A 10 year full passport was actually £42 or something. The UKPA announced that they are going to issue the customers with epassport, which costs more to make. Hence they have increased the price to £51 in November to meet the rising cost of issuing an epassport.
Although they are charging the price for an epassport, £51, , they haven't started issuing an epassport to all the applicants yet. At the moment some people receives it and some don't.
However from October it seems every one who applies for a passport will get an epassport. By that time they'll have enough epassport to distribute throughout the country.

So, the bottom line is... the price already went up to £51 to pay for the cost of an epassport. So, it won't go any further up yet.

All those things you hear that the price will increase to £91 it's only when they will be issuing an ID card with the passport. It is being estimated the price will then go up to £91 to meet the cost of an ID card with the passport. However, it's not until 2008.

Hope I have made it clear. I couldn’t write any clearly.