ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Transfer of VISA to a new passport

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sikander
Newly Registered

Transfer of VISA to a new passport

Post by sikander » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:20 pm

Hi All,

My Situation
I am currently in UK under Tier 1 General VISA category. My passport expires on 3rd July 2011. My VISA expires on 24th Sep 2011. I will be applying for my Wife's visa in Jan next year. She is in India right now.

My questions are:
1. If I choose to renew my Indian passport now, Do I need to transfer the Tier1 VISA to the new passport or can I use both passports together?
2. I may choose to renew my VISA after my wife gets the VISA in Feb' 2011. But, Is there a requirement which says that even for a dependant visa application, the main applicant's visa should also have six months validity?
3. Can I choose not to transfer my VISA from old passport to new passport at all? And when my Tier 1 extension comes, Will the homeoffice automatically stamp the new visa in the new passport?

I also request fellow members to advise on the issue.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:40 pm

Transferring your visa to a new passport wrote:You do not need to transfer your residence permit to your new passport. If you choose not to transfer your permit, you should carry both your old and new passports when you travel to the UK
regards

sikander
Newly Registered

Post by sikander » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:01 pm

Thanks for the response.

But, that's answers clearly only my first answer. But it does not answers rest of the two as clearly. Don't you think so?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:40 pm

Answers Q1 and Q3 completely, but agree that it doesn't answer Q2.

As for Q2, it is unlikely that your dependent will be granted a visa if your visa expires in six months (or less). There is no law or requirement that dictates such but is the general practice. If I were you, I would first extend my leave and upon approval apply for dependent visa.

regards

push
United Kingdom

Re: Transfer of VISA to a new passport

Post by push » Mon Aug 30, 2010 10:59 pm

sikander wrote:Hi All,

2. I may choose to renew my VISA after my wife gets the VISA in Feb' 2011. But, Is there a requirement which says that even for a dependant visa application, the main applicant's visa should also have six months validity?
Are we mixing two issues here? I guess you meant Passport and not Visa above. In my opinion, dependant's visa application is not linked to the residual validity of main applicant's passport as long as the passport is valid on the date of the application and the leave is current.

Depandant's leave/Entry Clearance is given for a duration to tie in with the expiry of current leave for the main applicant.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

sikander
Newly Registered

Post by sikander » Tue Aug 31, 2010 5:44 am

In case I choose to renew my passport now and not transfer the VISA, at the time of my dependant VISA application, I need to send the copies of both the passports. Am I correct?