ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

do i need schengen visa as parent of uk citizen

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tanya_cz
Newly Registered

do i need schengen visa as parent of uk citizen

Post by tanya_cz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 7:44 pm

I am from Belarus and living in UK on 2 year spouse/cp visa ( ends mid 2011 )
My partner is from UK, we are not married but have 2 children, 3 and 1 year old.

As we are not married, its not easy to get schengen visa to travel
through EU by car, under spouse, as for example dutch embassy insist
on marriage certificate. We need schengen visa from dutch embassy, as
we are travelling from newcastle to amsterdam by ship etc

I got some information, see below, and wondering if the dutch embassy
has position to require that i apply for schengen visa,
as parent of UK citizen?
Any help or advice welcome.

<<copied text>>

Directive 2004/38/EC on the right to move and reside freely

The Directive 2004/38/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely (Freedom of movement for workers) within the territory of the Member States[1][2][3] defines the right of free movement for citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA), which includes the European Union (EU)

Family members are also covered by the right of free movement, but only as a dependent of the EEA citizen. The right is limited to the EEA state in which the EEA citizen is exercising treaty rights. In certain cases (e.g. divorce after at least 3 years of marriage where 1 year must have been spent in the host member state), the family member can retain the right of residence. A family member is defined as:
• the spouse (unless in a marriage of convenience),
• the registered same sex partner (but only in a state where same sex relationships are recognised),
• a child under the age of 21, or
• a dependent child or parent (of the EEA citizen or partner).
There is a second category of extended family members, which can be included at the discretion of national legislation. It covers dependent relatives (especially siblings), dependent household members and unmarried/unregistered partners in a "durable relationship".

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Re: do i need schengen visa as parent of uk citizen

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 01, 2010 9:00 pm

tanya_cz wrote:The Directive 2004/38/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 29 April 2004 on the right of citizens of the Union and their family members to move and reside freely (Freedom of movement for workers) within the territory of the Member States[1][2][3] defines the right of free movement for citizens of the European Economic Area (EEA), which includes the European Union (EU)

Family members are also covered by the right of free movement, but only as a dependent of the EEA citizen. The right is limited to the EEA state in which the EEA citizen is exercising treaty rights. In certain cases (e.g. divorce after at least 3 years of marriage where 1 year must have been spent in the host member state), the family member can retain the right of residence. A family member is defined as:
• the spouse (unless in a marriage of convenience),
• the registered same gender partner (but only in a state where same gender relationships are recognised),
• a child under the age of 21, or
• a dependent child or parent (of the EEA citizen or partner).
There is a second category of extended family members, which can be included at the discretion of national legislation. It covers dependent relatives (especially siblings), dependent household members and unmarried/unregistered partners in a "durable relationship".
Are you a "dependent parent"?

regards

tanya_cz
Newly Registered

Post by tanya_cz » Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Are you a "dependent parent"?
ok, im not sure what you mean... it says
• a dependent child or parent
not
• a dependent child or dependant parent
is there difference?