ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

To switch from Work permit to spouse visa or not?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

snooker
Newly Registered

To switch from Work permit to spouse visa or not?

Post by snooker » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:36 am

Hi

I am currently on a Work Permit, but entered into a Civil Partnership with a British citizen in April. We initially decided that I should stay on my Work Permit and then apply for ILR after 5 years, but with all the changes afoot, I am now wondering whether switching to a spouse visa now on FLR(M) might be a less fussy less expensive way of getting to ILR (or its successor I guess).

My details are as follows:

I entered the UK on 29 June 2007. My work permit was valid from 30 May 2007. It expires on 30 May 2012 so I would have to either switch into Tier 2 or Tier 1 to make up the final month.

Applying for a spouse visa now would mean I can apply for ILR towards the end of 2012, but I can only see Tier 1&2 visa fees going up, also I am concerned about the quotas and the July 2011 changes. It is very worrying that there is no info on these changes available on the UKBA website.

Any advice would be welcome!

Edited: my work permit expires in 2012 not 2007!

blessed78
Newly Registered

Post by blessed78 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:52 am

What are the advantages of staying on a work permit? I don't see any. I changed asap.

blessed78
Newly Registered

Post by blessed78 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:53 am

blessed78 wrote:What are the advantages of staying on a work permit? I don't see any. I changed asap.
Actually... I should qualify myself by saying that as long as you aren't going to split up with your partner in the next few years, THEN I don't see the benefits to staying on a WP!! 8)

snooker
Newly Registered

Post by snooker » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:19 am

Hi, the advantage is that, under the current rules, I might be able to apply for ILR sooner (I have less than 2 years left on my work permit). But I'm not sure whether the proposed changes in the immigration system and the fact that I would have to switch into the PBS system to cover the last month of my 5-year period would in fact make it harder.