ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

travelling on a portuguese i.d card

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

tonyTECHGUY54
Newly Registered

travelling on a portuguese i.d card

Post by tonyTECHGUY54 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:03 pm

my father is holding a portuguese id card. can he travel to u.k with this card and apply for portuguese passport in u.k. he will be travelling from goa. any advice much appreciated.

lifeart

Post by lifeart » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:43 pm

If he is a full Portuguese citizen that should be possible, as then he has a right to enter the UK.
Getting a Portuguese passport from the Portuguese embassy/consulate in the UK is only possible once he is considered a UK resident

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:20 pm

Technically, if your father's intention is to reside in the UK then he is a UK resident from the minute he touches down on UK soil. However, for practical purposes, he may wait up to 3 months to garner sufficient documentary proof of this before approaching his embassy.

By sufficient proof I mean:

Employment letter
Proof of sufficient funds (if claiming self sufficiency) - bank statements, financial investments
Mortgage letter, tenancy agreement
Utility bills
Registration Certificate (obtained by applying to the UKBA in person or by post) etc