ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK NARIC - English Assessment

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kanimeni

UK NARIC - English Assessment

Post by kanimeni » Fri Sep 03, 2010 4:55 pm

Hi Experts,

I did my Masters Degree through OPEN UNIVERSITY (Distance Education) from India, both University and my Maters Degree is recognized by URL point calculator And I got 10 points for English Language Skills.

But to be in safe side, I had sent my Masters Degree Certificate and transcripts to UK NARIC and requested for English Language Assessment but UK NARIC had responded with bellow :

Question - What does this means.....Do I qualify for English Language or NOT?

Thank you for contacting UK NARIC. However, we are unable to process your application for following reasons.

In Order for an overseas qualification to meet the UK NARIC English Language Assessment criteria, the comprable level of he qualification must be British Bachelor degree standard. The qualification that you have submitted is HIGHER than this level. Unfortunately, your qualificaion does therefore not meet the criteria for this service.

If you require confirmation of the comparable level of your qualification, please refer to our website for details of how to apply for a statement of comparability.

If you have already submitted a payment for an English Language Assessment, this will be refunded to you. If you wish to transfer this payment towards a different UK NARIC service, please contact us by telephone or email.

Please help me.

Regards
sekhar

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:40 am

From where did you get the idea that NARIC undertakes what you refer as English language assessment?

regards

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Sat Sep 04, 2010 1:15 am

sushdmehta wrote:From where did you get the idea that NARIC undertakes what you refer as English language assessment?

regards
It was just NOT out of my intellectual, I am sure you would have refer to this link of UK NARIC - http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=22

Wherein English Language Assessment - This service assesses whether an individual's English language proficiency is equivalent to CEFR level C1, based on completion of an English language test or academic qualifications taught in English. This service comments only on English proficiency and does not include information on the comparable level of the award.

So out of curiosity and to be on safer side, I went opting for this service.

I hope you understand.

Regards
sekhar

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:33 am

198. Where the applicant is unable to find details of their qualification on the points based calculator, UK NARIC will not be able to verify whether a qualification satisfies the English Language requirement. In these circumstances, applicants should either present an alternative qualification from the points based calculator if they possess one, or select an alternative means of satisfying the English Language requirement.

Page 32
http://bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteconten ... idance.pdf

navpreet1982
Newly Registered

Post by navpreet1982 » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:07 pm

It is clearly mentioned in the reply from NARIC that you have to provide the degree of bachelor's level for the English assessment not the masters. I also wanted to get english assessment from NARIC so i contacted them and they told me the same that i have to provide my bachelor's degree only with a letter from university stating that the degree is taught in english. So you please fax them your bachelor's degree and transcripts with the letter from university

cheers

Navpreet Singh

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:47 pm

navpreet1982 wrote:It is clearly mentioned in the reply from NARIC that you have to provide the degree of bachelor's level for the English assessment not the masters. I also wanted to get english assessment from NARIC so i contacted them and they told me the same that i have to provide my bachelor's degree only with a letter from university stating that the degree is taught in english. So you please fax them your bachelor's degree and transcripts with the letter from university

cheers

Navpreet Singh
But what is the point? If the PBS calculator awards you 10 points for English language why are you trying to make it difficult for yourself? It is advisable to provide adequate supporting evidence, anything more than that may unnecessarily complicate matters.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Sun Sep 05, 2010 5:16 am

kanimeni wrote:It was just NOT out of my intellectual, I am sure you would have refer to this link of UK NARIC - http://www.naric.org.uk/index.asp?page=22
This link is for a service which clearly states that assessment of English language proficiency of overseas qualifications is done for only those qualifications that are equivalent to bachelors level. Also that one has to provide evidence that the degree has been taught in English (which may not necessarily be a letter from the University certifying the same but something like a copy of the official curriculum of the course formally stating the medium of instruction).

This said, as push has pointed out, what's the point? Safe is safe enough, getting more safe will not fetch any extra points.

regards

t1s2010
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by t1s2010 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:40 am

I hope, even though NARIC evaluates only bachelor's degree; I am going to get points as I will submit my Master's degree for English language requirement.

PBS calculator does award me 10 points for my masters.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:43 pm

t1s2010 wrote:I hope, even though NARIC evaluates only bachelor's degree; I am going to get points as I will submit my Master's degree for English language requirement.

There is no reason why you should not.
regards,
push

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:27 am

push wrote:
t1s2010 wrote:I hope, even though NARIC evaluates only bachelor's degree; I am going to get points as I will submit my Master's degree for English language requirement.

There is no reason why you should not.
To give some conclusion to this concern, It could be that UK NARIC valids/assess english skills only for qualificatiosn equaliant to UK based Graduation. So no cross questions on that...

So now, i have done upto graduation in my mother tongue (not english) and i have only my Masters Degree tought in English which is from OPEN Univeristy, recognized by PBS URL (through Distance Eduction) so will this be sufficient for qualifying English Skills requirements?

I knew mine is different case but take your opinions.

Regards
sekhar

prakash_ec21
Newly Registered

Post by prakash_ec21 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:05 pm

I've an additional question here.

I've seen that many people provide a certificate from the university stating that the degree was taught in english even though the PBS calculator lists the degree.

The question is that is it really required to provide this additional certificate from university when PBS calculator has already listed it?

Policy guidance states this:
Documents we require
Only the following specified documents
199. will be accepted as evidence of this requirement:
Original certificate of award. i) This document must be original and must clearly show the:
applicant’s name;•
title of the award;•
date of the award; and,•
name of the awarding institute

aruni4470
Diamond Member

Post by aruni4470 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:44 pm

prakash_ec21 wrote:I've an additional question here.

I've seen that many people provide a certificate from the university stating that the degree was taught in english even though the PBS calculator lists the degree.

The question is that is it really required to provide this additional certificate from university when PBS calculator has already listed it?

Documents we require
Original certificate of award. i) This document must be original and must clearly show the:
applicant’s name;•
title of the award;•
date of the award; and,•

Read Sushdmehta's post in the below thread and you will get your answer..

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=61364

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:17 pm

aruni4470 wrote:
prakash_ec21 wrote:I've an additional question here.

Documents we require
applicant’s name;•
title of the award;•
date of the award; and,•

Read Sushdmehta's post in the below thread and you will get your answer..

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=61364
Thanks for the response,
2. If LLB qualification gives you points for both qualifications and English language, there is absolutely no need to submit any additional evidence for any other / additional qualifications that you may possess.
I have question on top of this response in another thread..

The PBS URL, Gives 10 points for any qualification (from listed universities). For example in my case, my graduation was in my mother tongue but just to test I made a choice in Point Calculator URL by saying i have degree that was taught in English it gave me 10 points although it was in my mother tougue.

Regards
sekhar

prakash_ec21
Newly Registered

Post by prakash_ec21 » Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:22 pm

Thanks aruni4470.

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:47 pm

prakash_ec21 wrote:Thanks aruni4470.
Thanks for the response, Any Help on this...
Quote:
2. If LLB qualification gives you points for both qualifications and English language, there is absolutely no need to submit any additional evidence for any other / additional qualifications that you may possess.

I have question on top of this response in another thread..

The PBS URL, Gives 10 points for any qualification (from listed universities). For example in my case, my graduation was in my mother tongue but just to test I made a choice in Point Calculator URL by saying i have degree that was taught in English it gave me 10 points although it was in my mother tougue.

Regards
sekhar

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:57 pm

kanimeni wrote: The PBS URL, Gives 10 points for any qualification (from listed universities). For example in my case, my graduation was in my mother tongue but just to test I made a choice in Point Calculator URL by saying i have degree that was taught in English it gave me 10 points although it was in my mother tougue.
So in essence what you are asking is whether it is okay to lie?

regards

breeza
Newly Registered

Post by breeza » Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:05 pm

push wrote:
navpreet1982 wrote:It is clearly mentioned in the reply from NARIC that you have to provide the degree of bachelor's level for the English assessment not the masters. I also wanted to get english assessment from NARIC so i contacted them and they told me the same that i have to provide my bachelor's degree only with a letter from university stating that the degree is taught in english. So you please fax them your bachelor's degree and transcripts with the letter from university

cheers

Navpreet Singh
But what is the point? If the PBS calculator awards you 10 points for English language why are you trying to make it difficult for yourself? It is advisable to provide adequate supporting evidence, anything more than that may unnecessarily complicate matters.
How does the PBS award those points I have gone over it several times and I don't see where it actually says, you meet the English requirement?
To be on the safe side send your bachelors degree for assessment by UK Naric and get the certificate of comparability...

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:33 pm

breeza wrote:
push wrote:

cheers

Navpreet Singh
How does the PBS award those points I have gone over it several times and I don't see where it actually says, you meet the English requirement?
To be on the safe side send your bachelors degree for assessment by UK Naric and get the certificate of comparability...

Thanks you all for your response,

I neither want to lie nor disprove something here. The only concern is - I have done my graduation in my mother tongue (non-english) and Masters Degree in English but through Distance Education (Open University)?

So given the scenario, for sure i don't qualify with my graduation and i did my Masters through distance education. Bu YES PBS - Calculator recognized the university from which i did my Masters.

So wondering if my masters alone will be considered for English Language Skills or NOT?

Please advise.

Regards
sekhar

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:21 pm

kanimeni wrote:
breeza wrote:
push wrote:

cheers

Navpreet Singh

I neither want to lie nor disprove something here. The only concern is - I have done my graduation in my mother tongue (non-english) and Masters Degree in English but through Distance Education (Open University)?

So given the scenario, for sure i don't qualify with my graduation and i did my Masters through distance education. Bu YES PBS - Calculator recognized the university from which i did my Masters.

So wondering if my masters alone will be considered for English Language Skills or NOT?

Please advise.

Regards
sekhar
If PBS calculator awards you 10 points for degree (whichever it is) you are good to go. For the matters of English Language requirement the PBS calculator is the key determinant.
regards,
push

breeza
Newly Registered

Post by breeza » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:34 am

push wrote:
kanimeni wrote:
breeza wrote:
push wrote:But what is the point? If the PBS calculator awards you 10 points for English language why are you trying to make it difficult for yourself? It is advisable to provide adequate supporting evidence, anything more than that may unnecessarily complicate matters.

Please advise.

Regards
sekhar
If PBS calculator awards you 10 points for degree (whichever it is) you are good to go. For the matters of English Language requirement the PBS calculator is the key determinant.
No its not the case. They consider a bachelors degree that has been taught in English, SO K in your case you don't qualify for 10 points check the guidance it is very clear on that. Your best bet is to sit for an IELTS test and score more than 6.5. It takes just a few days to book, write and get your test score.

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:11 am

breeza wrote:No its not the case. They consider a bachelors degree that has been taught in English, SO K in your case you don't qualify for 10 points check the guidance it is very clear on that.
Appendix B - English language wrote:(ii) has obtained an academic qualification (not a professional or vocational qualification) which is deemed by UK NARIC to meet or exceed the recognised standard of a Bachelor's or Master's degree or a PhD in the UK, and which UK NARIC has confirmed was taught or researched in English to the level indicated in the table below, and provides the specified documents

regards

kanimeni

Post by kanimeni » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:27 pm

breeza wrote:
push wrote:
kanimeni wrote:
breeza wrote: How does the PBS award those points I have gone over it several times and I don't see where it actually says, you meet the English requirement?

Please advise.

Regards
sekhar
No its not the case. They consider a bachelors degree that has been taught in English, SO K in your case you don't qualify for 10 points check the guidance it is very clear on that. Your best bet is to sit for an IELTS test and score more than 6.5. It takes just a few days to book, write and get your test score.
Hi Breeza,

Thanks for the response, Would you please help me as where its mentioned in the guidence?

Regards
sekhar