ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UPV granted in Croydon on Friday!

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

kittens
Newly Registered

UPV granted in Croydon on Friday!

Post by kittens » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:36 pm

I just wanted to share my story after getting so much information from these forums...

My partner and I went to Croydon on Friday to apply for an unmarried partner visa. I'm an australian citizen who was on a working holiday visa and my boyfriend is a dual australian/uk citizen. I put a lot of hours into the application, making sure it was filled out neatly, photos were attached, documents were in order & covered the full 2 year period, 3 months of bank statements, and heaps of other additional information to satisfy my paranoia.

The wait outside the office is long, so don't bother arriving before 30 mins before your appointment, though don't be one of those annoying people who turn up late & expect the security guard to let you swan on in! Once inside you pass through security, go through reception where someone checks over your application. They check it fairly thoroughly mainly I think to make sure you have enough documents covering the period. Once upstairs, you pay your £500 and head to the waiting room to wait to be seen. We only waited for 20mins before being seen for consideration.

All they are interested in seeing is exactly what's stated on the form. So make sure you have your 10 documents from each year (we had a mix of joint & individually addressed items), ensuring you have at least one from the first 3 months and one from the last 3 months. 3 months of bank statements (joint or individual) and the completed form. The officer checked the form, checked the documents with her supervisor, photocopied a couple of them & sent us on our way. We were granted my 2 years leave in 20 mins & picked up my passport in an hour.

The staff were fantastic - clearly quite busy & trying to do their best by everyone. The front door security man deserves a medal for his patience & the lady in the shop on level 2 gives good tips on whether the soup of the day is any good. The staff on the doors, at reception & doing the consideration of the application were efficient & pleasant so please be nice to them as they have a pretty tough job. Throw them a smile & ask them how their day's going as though you mean it!

Point of the post is prepare, prepare, prepare. Make sure you have everything they require, if you don't then get it before you go there, check it over a couple of times & get someone else to check your application for you. Follow the form to the letter & you'll have no problems....having said all that, I was incredibly nervous the whole time & am glad it's over. Good luck to all future applicants - I hope your experience is as good as mine. :D

Jen

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:19 pm

Jen, thanks for posting about that experience.
Point of the post is prepare, prepare, prepare.
I could not agree more. Preparation is so important ..... indeed present the evidence in a well-organised and neat way. I often use the term "evidence folder" .. presenting the evidence in that way makes life so much easier for the person dealing with the application.
John

quarck
Newly Registered

Post by quarck » Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:18 am

Hello! Congratulations for your visa! :)

I'm applying for mine next Monday and I'll follow your tips... :)

Do you know if with this visa we are able to work full-time?

Thanks a lot!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:13 am

Do you know if with this visa we are able to work full-time?
Yes indeed, with a UPV the person has unrestricted ability to work in the UK.
John

quarck
Newly Registered

Post by quarck » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:10 pm

And do you know where this is written on the Internet? It's not that I doubt you, I just want to show it to my manager. :)

Thank you!

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Apr 05, 2006 5:43 pm

The real proof will be you new visa which totally fails to mention any restriction on employment.

But if you have a look at Guidance - Husbands, wives and partners (INF 4), there is a paragraph that reads :-
At first, you will be allowed to stay and work in the UK for two years. Near the end of this time, if you are still partners and intend to continue living together, you can apply to stay permanently in the UK.
During the two-year period the only restriction on your visa will be "No recourse to Public Funds".
John

Pimms
Newly Registered

Post by Pimms » Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:57 pm

I have a question.

If you apply for ILR on the basis of 5years on WP, or on the basis of 10year rule, you can apply 28 days before the completion of the 5 years/10 years. Does this apply to UPV? For example, I will be living with my partner for 2 years in 22nd May, can I apply before this date?

I'm on WP, but I'd like to change the job asap.