ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

DOJ refusing EU Treaty Rights because of Dual Citizenship!!!

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

walrusgumble
BANNED

Re: DOJ refusing EU Treaty Rights because of Dual Citizenshi

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:48 am

Monifé wrote:
As always, there are quite a number of EU Treaty Rights cases requiring urgent attention. A number of refusals have issued recently from the Department in respect of applications for residence cards of the spouses of EU nationals who are properly exercising their EU Treaty Rights in the State. The grounds for refusal are that the EU nationals in the cases have dual Irish and European citizenship, and therefore, according to the Department, cannot rely on the benefits of the Free Movement of Persons law. I do not accept the lawfulness of this position, and think that we may need clarification of the High Court. We are currently seeking further advice on the point.

The above piece is an extract from a monthly newsletter from Brophy Solicitors.

I am completely dumbfounded at this. Why are the DOJ infringing peoples rights once again.

This seriously worries me as my partners application is in that category as I am a dual Irish/British citizen.
Possibly the easiest court case to take, what utter nonsense of a decision.

It makes no sense whatsoever!!! Even law students would know this, in this scenerio, that it is wrong. What about the minor child born in Irish (and is irish) but also born to Polish citizens? Or what about the minor child born in Ireland but not an irish citizen, but is polish due to parents? How were they suppose to travel? Yes, they will get in on the basis of their parents, but they also have their own status on their own basis too in the future

no where does it say in the directive or more importantly the treaty, that there is a restriction.

To consider that metock provided that the spouse did not even need to be married in another country in order for family reunification ..... this case completely takes the biscuit

This decision makes it all the more laughable considering that people in the six counties are de facto legally british (that will be the last time i say that) but can have an legal entitlement to consider themselves as irish , on equal proportions ( so even rev ian paisley could get himself the auld irish passport)

Well done Minister, talking about wasting more money in the courts

It practicaly, makes an irish person no optition in their freedom of movement, and causes a barrier to an eu citizen - which the directive purports to get rid of. An eu citizen should have a choice of where they reside in the eu.

It also makes a laughing stock of our citizenship policy then, considering we are told that millions each year apply for irish citizenship, no doubt due to the eu bonus. Many applications come from third generation irish americans, who,so long as they meet the criteria are entitled without application to same, even if they never set foot on Érins Green Isle

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:56 am

acme4242 wrote:And what impact will this have on the Good Friday agreement.
A disregard and contempt for the citizenship of British nationals
who also are Irish Citizens by virtue of being born on the Island
of Ireland.

This small town, bad minded solicitor might be letting all
of hell loose again.
This is something better kept well clear of, if Ahern has any bloody sense.
Its worse than that. This small town bad minded solicitor is

(a) From a boarder town that knows fully the implications of this
(b) He played a vital role as foreign minister in dealing (along with Cowan when he was foreign) in the build up, aftermath and current situation dealing with Good Friday et all, and All Ireland Committees.

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Wed Sep 08, 2010 7:54 pm

Monifé wrote:
As always, there are quite a number of EU Treaty Rights cases requiring urgent attention. A number of refusals have issued recently from the Department in respect of applications for residence cards of the spouses of EU nationals who are properly exercising their EU Treaty Rights in the State. The grounds for refusal are that the EU nationals in the cases have dual Irish and European citizenship, and therefore, according to the Department, cannot rely on the benefits of the Free Movement of Persons law. I do not accept the lawfulness of this position, and think that we may need clarification of the High Court. We are currently seeking further advice on the point.

The above piece is an extract from a monthly newsletter from Brophy Solicitors.

I am completely dumbfounded at this. Why are the DOJ infringing peoples rights once again.

This seriously worries me as my partners application is in that category as I am a dual Irish/British citizen.
my spouse is both Irish and British!!! whats gonna happen to my application then??? share pls

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:04 pm

wizardland wrote: my spouse is both Irish and British!!! whats gonna happen to my application then??? share pls
Has she lived in Ireland all her life? If so, it is going to be refused. My partners was refused today.
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

fatty patty

Post by fatty patty » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:49 pm

Personally i would stay away from exercising treaty rights if i am dual national (Irish & EU). I wont disclose being dual national and I would apply for my spouse on the basis of being Irish, I know spouse wont enjoy 5 years straightaway stamp and other benefits of EU treaty rights, but would benefits from other + points of being a spouse of Irish.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:31 am

Monifé wrote:
wizardland wrote: my spouse is both Irish and British!!! whats gonna happen to my application then??? share pls
Has she lived in Ireland all her life? If so, it is going to be refused. My partners was refused today.
challenge it! What precisely was there reasoning. where did they cite their grounds from?

Well done Ahern, talking about partitionist thinking!!!

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:52 am

walrusgumble wrote:
Monifé wrote:
challenge it! What precisely was there reasoning. where did they cite their grounds from?

Well done Ahern, talking about partitionist thinking!!!
Link to topic I posted regarding our situation.

http://immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=63385
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:03 am

Monifé wrote:
im sorry to hear that Monife. well my spouse just got his irish passport last march, came to live in ireland last june. he lived and worked in uk bfore. what does that mean then?

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:40 am

wizardland wrote:
Monifé wrote:
im sorry to hear that Monife. well my spouse just got his irish passport last march, came to live in ireland last june. he lived and worked in uk bfore. what does that mean then?
As he has lived in the UK, you should be fine. Did he live there all is life? If so then there should be no problem for you. If he hasn't, you would still be covered by the Surinder Singh ruling, where he has exercised his treaty rights in another EU state and returned to Ireland.

Did he send in his British or Irish passport?

wizardland

Post by wizardland » Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:35 pm

Monifé wrote:
wizardland wrote:
Monifé wrote:
As he has lived in the UK, you should be fine. Did he live there all is life? If so then there should be no problem for you. If he hasn't, you would still be covered by the Surinder Singh ruling, where he has exercised his treaty rights in another EU state and returned to Ireland.

Did he send in his British or Irish passport?
he did live there all his life. i sent off his original irish passport and a copy of his british passport. also his p45 thing to prove his activity in the uk.

aw Monife, i cant get over ur refusal, im really sorry abt that. so did DOJ give any suggestion abt what ur partner has to do now? i wish ud find a solution soon. keep sharing

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Fri Sep 10, 2010 2:00 pm

wizardland wrote:aw Monife, i cant get over ur refusal, im really sorry abt that. so did DOJ give any suggestion abt what ur partner has to do now? i wish ud find a solution soon. keep sharing
No they didnt write anything in the letter about what to do next. But if the guards stop him, I dont know what can happen as he currently has no permission to remain here because of this ordeal. Our solicitor has asked can we have an internal review (which she thinks is doubtful that we will get) but we haven't heard anything back yet. They take ages to reply.

In the meantime, she has talked to a barrister and sent our file to him and we are waiting for advice on that. Wont be til end of next week though because I will be away.

Today, I also wrote a letter to the Ambassador of the British Embassy in Ireland and also to the European Commission representative in Dublin.

Just a waiting game as usual. Sick of waiting :(