ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How to raise €20 million and fix an immigration problem

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

an_dochasach
Newly Registered

How to raise €20 million and fix an immigration problem

Post by an_dochasach » Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:16 pm

The IBC05 scheme granted permission to remain to parents of Irish citizens who were born shortly before the citizenship referendum removed the "Jus soli" birthright of citizenship enjoyed by millions of Irish emigrants in the U.S., Canada and elsewhere. The approximately 18,000 people on this scheme are now in a limbo where they cannot apply for long term residency as they would have been able to avail of if they'd remained 5 years in Ireland on any other visa or work permit. Naturalization takes at least two years and is not at all assured. Ireland only naturalizes 6 people for every 1000 immigrants, the second slowest and least efficient in the E.U.

Every 2-3 years the GNIB must ramp up staff and process IBC renewals. It is an inefficient process because of frequent changes in immigration policy and the government never plans for these renewals. In my estimation, it cost the GNIB well over €100,000 to process these and it costs the state at least 50,000 hours in lost productivity during the 3-8 hours of time it takes for IBC parents to wait in the immigration queue.

One proposal would be to eliminate this problem by deporting these 18,000 immigrants. But this would be a very expensive solution. The court cost of even one deportation is significant and the cost of actual deportation is huge. This would also almost certainly result in an economic backlash from the countries where these people are from.

My proposed reform is to create a fast track to naturalization for IBC parents. They have already demonstrated that they can support themselves and their children and that they are not criminals. (These conditions were specified in original IBC plan) There are some significant upsides:

- The fees for naturalization are nearly €1000 which could immediately add nearly €20 million to the Irish gov budget.

- Expensive vetting has already taken place

- Eliminate the cost of the bureaucracy necessary to keep track of these immigrants.

- These 18,000 people would be free to leave Ireland and work elsewhere in the E.U., reducing pressure on domestic labor force.

neo725
Newly Registered

Re: How to raise €20 million and fix an immigration proble

Post by neo725 » Tue Sep 07, 2010 3:54 pm

:!:
Last edited by neo725 on Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:32 pm

an_dochasach wrote:The IBC05 scheme granted permission to remain to parents of Irish citizens who were born shortly before the citizenship referendum removed the "Jus soli" birthright of citizenship enjoyed by millions of Irish emigrants in the U.S., Canada and elsewhere. The approximately 18,000 people on this scheme are now in a limbo where they cannot apply for long term residency as they would have been able to avail of if they'd remained 5 years in Ireland on any other visa or work permit. Naturalization takes at least two years and is not at all assured. Ireland only naturalizes 6 people for every 1000 immigrants, the second slowest and least efficient in the E.U.

Every 2-3 years the GNIB must ramp up staff and process IBC renewals. It is an inefficient process because of frequent changes in immigration policy and the government never plans for these renewals. In my estimation, it cost the GNIB well over €100,000 to process these and it costs the state at least 50,000 hours in lost productivity during the 3-8 hours of time it takes for IBC parents to wait in the immigration queue.

One proposal would be to eliminate this problem by deporting these 18,000 immigrants. But this would be a very expensive solution. The court cost of even one deportation is significant and the cost of actual deportation is huge. This would also almost certainly result in an economic backlash from the countries where these people are from.

My proposed reform is to create a fast track to naturalization for IBC parents. They have already demonstrated that they can support themselves and their children and that they are not criminals. (These conditions were specified in original IBC plan) There are some significant upsides:

- The fees for naturalization are nearly €1000 which could immediately add nearly €20 million to the Irish gov budget.

- Eliminate the cost of the bureaucracy necessary to keep track of these immigrants.

- These 18,000 people would be free to leave Ireland and work elsewhere in the E.U., reducing pressure on domestic labor force.
Interesting proposition but if i must say it appears overtly optimistic IMHO and looks like oversimplification of a complex situation. I'll be right back to expantiate. Duty beckons for now.
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:44 pm

an_dochasach wrote:The IBC05 scheme granted permission to remain to parents of Irish citizens who were born shortly before the citizenship referendum removed the "Jus soli" birthright of citizenship enjoyed by millions of Irish emigrants in the U.S., Canada and elsewhere. The approximately 18,000 people on this scheme are now in a limbo where they cannot apply for long term residency as they would have been able to avail of if they'd remained 5 years in Ireland on any other visa or work permit. Naturalization takes at least two years and is not at all assured. Ireland only naturalizes 6 people for every 1000 immigrants, the second slowest and least efficient in the E.U.

The IBC scheme is a fairly generous scheme IMHO. Correct me if I am wrong here, I think the basic condition for renewal is either a proof of employment or a proof that the applicants are engaged in some sort of study toward developing employable skills. That IMHO is a reasable request.

You mentioned the Long Term Residency (LTR) Scheme that is available to persons on employment permit, trust me that is nothing but a scam. The name is quite misleading. It is nothing but an employment permit of 5 years duration plus fringe benefit of being able to set up one's own business which the IBC scheme offers current holders anyway. Worse still, that itself also take minimum of 2 years to process at the moment. How long do you think it would take when you add the 18 thousand on IBC scheme? It doesn't look like LTR would be any better at solving the difficulties you claim this group are facing.

I think the major short coming with the current immigration pathway in Ireland is the lack of provision for Permanent Residency status (PR) (PR given under EU treaty is conferred by EU law). Much have been said about the farce that is the naturalization process in Ireland, but I do think that substantial pressure would be taken off the naturalization office if there currently exist a permanent residency scheme here. PR status would mean that not many people would be pressured to apply for citizenship immediately after 5 years residency. Many may not even apply for naturalization at all. One thing that can be said in general about the impact of lack of PR status to most long term immigrants in Ireland (not only IBC Scheme beneficiaries BTW) is that it offers another major obstacle in the way of genuine commitment, sense of belonging and full integration of most immigrants in this country.

There may be a case to be made about potential overload of the work of the INIS stemming from short duration renewal of residency stamps (this does not only apply to IBC by the way), but some would argue that, this is done to ensure that people do not take the terms of their residency for granted and to ensure that they remain law abiding. Not sure if the figure you provided are hypothetical of factual as you didn't state your source, but it sure will be useful to have an economic evaluation of the impact of such short term duration renewal and the impact it is having on efficiency and functions of other areas of INIS.

The Idea of a fast tracked naturalization for IBC would be a hard one to sell, as I am not sure there is any concrete evidence to suggest any urgency for such applicants over other applicants on the queue. If anything, the reverse might be the case as the perception in some quarters about most of the beneficiaries of the IBC schemes is that of those who are here to milk the system. As much as this perceptions remains hitherto unproven, such propositions as your might be doing a lot to lend credence to such positions.

When you make proposals like fast tracking naturalization application for people so they can zoom off the country, how much help do you think that does to the kind of perception I alluded to in the preceding paragraph? People have to proof and must be seeing to show a sense of commitment to the country they seek to be part of. People on the IBC scheme IMO should be seen to be blazing the trail here for once the is the birth place of their children. Aren't they supposed to be the reason they were granted to stay here in the first instance. I know some would inevitably have to leave due to tough economic climate, unemployments etc as it obtains in generic sense, but to suggest that people should be fast-tracked to become citizens so they could zoom off somewhere else is laughable regardless of how financially beneficial it is suppose to be to the country in the short term.
What lies behind us and ahead of us is nothing compared to what lies within us

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:44 am

As far as the Minister is concern, and the law, see Loebe, the sole purpose of the parent's presence in Ireland is to raise the Irish Citizen Child so the status is not comparable in any way to work permit holders. A parent under the IBC already has a stamp 4 and has all the rights and access it possibly could need.

Provided that the parent remains an active parent to the child (even if he/she is separated from the other parent), remains crime free and remain economically viable, (which seems to be ignored by the Minister, due to the current economic situation), they will not really loose their stamp 4, in reality. So long as they do this, they will have little reason for minister to say no to a citizenship application, provided that they are at least 3 years self sufficient. The scheme is not intended to guarantee absolute residence to this class of people! If they are not active in the child's life, they loose their status. End of story, no ifs or buts. The fun will now start in 2010 onwards where these people will look to citizenship. Alot may not be eligible due to intial reliance on certain social welfare. But, provided that they comply with the above, the department would have difficulty in removing them. The interesting question will be what will happen when the child turns 18 years or 23 if in college. Practically, they will likely be sorted any way on an exception basis, due to time in Ireland. It might be open to parent to seek long term residency without condition to time (stamp 5 me thinks)

Long Term Residency, gives you a stamp 4. Why would you need it? It clearly is only open to stamp 1.

There is very good reason for renewals. THe minister is well aware that some families break up and the father tends to ignore their children. (an application for maintenance in court by mother, should be looked at postively by father under ibc, at least he then can prove link to child)

Last thing we want is this:
http://www.courts.ie/Judgments.nsf/23fd ... enDocument

Where is your estimations coming from? Do doubt they are highish, but its cheaper than when applications were needed to be made involving solicitors. My understanding, was that the application is rather simple now. Provide evidence of the above, get stamped at GNIB.

Its the social welfare bill thats more to be concerned so your comment that they can, (not for most part mind but quite a sizable proportion) live independently is groundless. What about those on supplementary rent allowance, single parent allowance, medical cards, and unemployment benefits. Some of the mothers, not all, have never worked. Now those that can show 3 year self sufficency they get in. But why should they be rewarded, compared to a work permit holder?.

THe reality is, look at dimbo and loebe for the facts provided in court by the department, that most of these people came in as asylum seekers, who were really in effect economic migrants. Because Ireland is prohibited from turning them away in order to make an application, many, were heavily pregnant (look don't deny this, the people did not need to read the media guff and "propaganda" to see this for themselves. They made applications and dropped their asylum case immediately, i thought that they were afraid of going home. Two cases to point out, one above and on publicised case in RTE of a particular former mayor in a particular town in the midlands went home to nigeria to a hero's welcome. Yet, come did he come here? failed asylum application then ibc. I thought he was scared of returning. Most, but not all of these people come in undocumented (for natural reasons may i add) Many are economic migrants who do not follow the normal procedure for entering a country - ie visa, work permit

On the other hand, a work permit and even an international student does obtain correct permission to enter the state. (I am not saying IBC should not get citizenship. I am saying that should not be given priority of others)

As for the proposal to deport, not a chance way too expensive and not worth it for those that have made decent use of same. Anyway, there cases would now be stronger as in 2003 when dimbo compared and contrast itself from fajounu (ie length of time and link in country)

IBC parents want citizens let them join the que, there is not particularily special about the group,

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Wed Sep 08, 2010 12:23 pm

walrusgumble wrote:Two cases to point out, one above and on publicised case in RTE of a particular former mayor in a particular town in the midlands went home to nigeria to a hero's welcome. Yet, come did he come here?
When I read that I was shocked. How was he not stripped of his Mayor status? If that's not lying and corruption, I don't know what is!
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:52 pm

Monifé wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:Two cases to point out, one above and on publicised case in RTE of a particular former mayor in a particular town in the midlands went home to nigeria to a hero's welcome. Yet, come did he come here?
When I read that I was shocked. How was he not stripped of his Mayor status? If that's not lying and corruption, I don't know what is!
Why would he be stripped of mayorish? did you actually stop to think about that.

THe did what he did (ie came over, did the deed got statsu) before standing for elections. People had the opportunity to decide this issue when they voted. The position of mayor is nonesence. Your a glorified chairman. every clown councillor gets a go.

he was a member of fianna fail, or as the old veterans would say, people who were only interested in fianna fail traditional core values (yes the party once had them) only a member of the party for the power and it doing him well

Monifé

Post by Monifé » Wed Sep 08, 2010 4:55 pm

walrusgumble wrote:Why would he be stripped of mayorish? did you actually stop to think about that.
Well, I would have thought that would be perceived as fraudalent... returning to the country you were claiming asylum against, would it not?

It obviously, even to the unintelligent officials, was a fraudalent claim for asylum and I thought if there was any dishonesty, that one would be screwed when it comes to entering the world of politics. (Note: I say entering the world of politics, once in there, the lies just start growing but beforehand you usually have to have a pretty clean background!)
beloved is the enemy of freedom, and deserves to be met head-on and stamped out - Pierre Berton

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Thu Sep 09, 2010 9:50 am

Monifé wrote:
walrusgumble wrote:Why would he be stripped of mayorish? did you actually stop to think about that.
Well, I would have thought that would be perceived as fraudalent... returning to the country you were claiming asylum against, would it not?

It obviously, even to the unintelligent officials, was a fraudalent claim for asylum and I thought if there was any dishonesty, that one would be screwed when it comes to entering the world of politics. (Note: I say entering the world of politics, once in there, the lies just start growing but beforehand you usually have to have a pretty clean background!)
That was excused when he was granted status under IBC. All bets are paid then. We can't really blame certain asylum seekers from entering to better their lives, but, telling groundless lies about their own countries is dishonest. But sure, that what happens in asylum cases :wink: . Still who are the Irish to pontificate, all those Irish - American leaders in Tammany Hall Nork York we not all legal when they first graced the States.

It justifies, however, McDowell's approach to change the laws in 2005.

Could not see him going far anyway, so we don't need to worry. As for clean record before entering politics, hmmmm, and you would be aware of the dodgy dealings that occur in order to getting into a position for candidateship of party nonimee. Lets face its, we all know why Fianna Fail jumped on the bandwagon to get him as a candidate, and it was nothing to do with common convictions etc. (it did wonders for labour in Sligo in 1992) Its a wonder Fine Gael did not try to seduce him. For him, he thought Bertie and co (like most others) where the messiah who offered milk honey and riches to all new comers, nothing to do with policy. Its a shame though, that he could not show the same loyality to the party, when things went up the creek for FF. (Same would be said if he was a FG)

an_dochasach
Newly Registered

Post by an_dochasach » Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:44 am

9jeirean wrote:The Idea of a fast tracked naturalization for IBC would be a hard one to sell, as I am not sure there is any concrete evidence to suggest any urgency for such applicants over other applicants on the queue. If anything, the reverse might be the case as the perception in some quarters about most of the beneficiaries of the IBC schemes is that of those who are here to milk the system...
I'm well aware of those perceptions but addressing those is another story. It's so easy to paint immigration with a brush that is just wide enough to avoid touching the hundreds of thousands of Irish emigrants who take advantage of and often break immigration laws abroad.
...People have to proof and must be seeing to show a sense of commitment to the country they seek to be part of. People on the IBC scheme IMO should be seen to be blazing the trail here for once the is the birth place of their children...
Yes, I was reluctant to mention this perceived political benefit of allowing Ireland to temporarily bleed some immigrants during this economic crisis. It isn't about jaunting off to a holiday home in Turkey (though what could be more Irish than that?) It's this:

- Irish born who lose there job don't necessarily have the emigration option that our ancestors had because many are caught in upside-down mortgages in houses they can't sell until the market improves.

- Most non-Irish immigrants are not chained to a mortgage, they wouldn't have the option of working in the U.K. or Germany or U.S. on contract for a year while this blows over. But they're here competing for those same jobs. Studies have shown that those with non-Irish names are at a significant disadvantage in hiring here which certainly contributes to the 30% unemployment rate in immigrants. <---This has been demonstrated to be a recipe for disaster in France, Germany, the U.S. and almost anywhere.

Migration does benefit an economy but the bureaucracy associated with migration law is friction in the system. Politicians are eager to focus on fears of excessively rapid immigration while ignoring problems caused by sluggishness in all aspects of migration. In the U.S., it is exactly the "all or nothing" immigration policy towards Mexico which enables coyotes and forces desperado immigrants to do whatever it takes to stay, including serious criminal activity. Studies have shown that a more sensible program allowing migrants to arrive for seasonal demand of farms and return each year would do much to help the U.S. and Mexican economy. A similar sensible and efficient policy would help Ireland.

Regarding long-term residency, is it 5 years or 10? I was referring to Stamp 6 which "gives a person permission to remain without condition as to time" http://www.mrci.ie/know_rights/legalsta ... idency.htm

It's my understanding that Stamp 6 is not available to IBC parents as it would be to anyone on any other scheme, including the standard 1-year work permit, renewed for at least 5 years. Of course it's entirely possible I sent the application to the wrong individual in INIS. Irish immigration schemes are like snowflakes, no two are alike, I don't think anyone knows the real story and the rules are made up in the middle of the game.

I appreciate all of the comments and critiques. The real fix is to streamline the immigration and naturalization system for everyone. But after nine years in Ireland I know the chances of that happening.