ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

a "special" situation

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

How long can we expect to spend at passport control?

>2 hours
No votes
1-2 hours
20%
30 minutes to an hour
40%
<30 minutes
40%

Total votes: 5

mrsturner
Newly Registered

a "special" situation

Post by mrsturner » Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:57 pm

I am a dual citizen holding passports for Belgium and the USA. My daughter is a dual citizen holding passports for the UK and USA. I am married to a British citizen. We have been living in the USA our whole lives until recently when my husband had to go back to the UK. Because I am half belgian and the owner of a EEA passport I was told I had the right to live and work in the UK. Now my daughter and I have a one way ticket to the UK.

My question is this-

Does anyone have any reason to believe that we will be subject to immigration control because of our one way ticket or will be be able to move through the passport control fairly quickly because we are both EEA nationals? I have heard that the immigration officers at Heathrow can be very rude but I was wondering how much trouble I might expect after a 9-10 hour flight with a 2 year old.

Any similar experiences or advice would be a great help. Thanks!

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Re: a "special" situation

Post by ElenaW » Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:13 pm

Since you've got a Belgian passport it's basically just that they'll stamp you in so it's a quick and painless process for you both.

edit to add: There are two lines. The eu/uk line and the one for foreign nationals. You won't need to explain yourself or anything like the foreign nationals do.
I tell it like it is.

mrsturner
Newly Registered

Post by mrsturner » Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:19 am

Wouldn't they ask me basic questions? I'm worried that they will give me trouble if I am asked about my work and I say I'm looking. I am looking. We are going to be new to the country I don't exactly have work lined up. I will have a little cash and a credit card so financial support isn't a worry. I'm just double checking because I don't want to be held up after a 9 hour flight.

Thanks for your help. :)

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:33 pm

mrsturner wrote:Wouldn't they ask me basic questions? I'm worried that they will give me trouble if I am asked about my work and I say I'm looking. I am looking. We are going to be new to the country I don't exactly have work lined up. I will have a little cash and a credit card so financial support isn't a worry. I'm just double checking because I don't want to be held up after a 9 hour flight.

Thanks for your help. :)
No they won't. Have you asked this before? This question rings a bell. You have the right to go to the uk based on your EEA nationality. They could care less what you're doing for work.
I tell it like it is.

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:34 pm

ElenaW wrote:Since you've got a Belgian passport it's basically just that they'll stamp you in so it's a quick and painless process for you both.
:shock: The likelihood of a UK immigration stamp being placed in an EEA/EU passport is equal to that of UK immigration stamp in a UK passport - Strictly prohibited!

ElenaW
Diamond Member

Post by ElenaW » Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:04 pm

Plum70 wrote:
ElenaW wrote:Since you've got a Belgian passport it's basically just that they'll stamp you in so it's a quick and painless process for you both.
:shock: The likelihood of a UK immigration stamp being placed in an EEA/EU passport is equal to that of UK immigration stamp in a UK passport - Strictly prohibited!
Right I realize that but I was just trying to say it's as if she will be stamped in (i.e. no hassle). Also, lots of non-EU spouses get stamps when it's also prohibited. It happens.
I tell it like it is.

mrsturner
Newly Registered

Post by mrsturner » Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:59 pm

If I do get held up for some reason does anyone know if I can get an officer to bring my daughter to my husband who will be waiting in arrivals? I have her birth certificate with his name on it. I just don't want her to be upset about waiting around after a long flight.

andreachen

Post by andreachen » Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:48 pm

Chances are you will be quicker than your husband anyway. Until I got my UK passport I always travelled with my EU passport, there are no questions, no stamps, no nothing. They will just check that the photo is you, put the passport in their machine (I assume to check if there is anything against it and to register it), and give it back to you, done. It doesn't matter if you live in the EU country of your passport or not, and whether you have a one-way ticket or not.

I don't think you can get an officer to take your daughter but I don't see how this would be necessary anyway.

Maybe your husband could join the EU queue with you, I know that friends of mine (German/USA) always do this and this has the advantage that the US husband gets through much quicker than he would have otherwise. Worth a try, especially with a small child, as you have the good excuse that you couldn't manage the child and luggage on your own. ;)