ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Contract jobs

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

baskey

Contract jobs

Post by baskey » Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:09 pm

Hi all,

I am getting good response for contract jobs for the period of 6 months to one year. But i never know what is the normal terms and conditions for contract jobs in the UK? Is there any std. rules. My specific question is that on either side whether this period of contract is fixed as per agreement or employer can remove employee any time and vice versa...

Also first 3 month i have spent on job hunting and next 6 months on contract job. So at the time of extension i may be jobless, will it affect my extension.

By the way, will it be worth waiting for either a perm/ long term contracts or join now even 6 months contracts to gain some UK experience.

Any input on this issue is welcome...

Regards

unixguru
Newly Registered

Post by unixguru » Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:16 pm

I would suggest that you take what you can get in the beginning. The normal operating procedure is employment at will from the firm doing the hiring. Informed companies are hesitant to offer perm positions to HSMP holders due to the fact that the potential employee may be gone in 12 months. If you can secure a position of any type take it, that way you are econnomically viable and gain UK experience. Which looks good to both employers and Home Office.

baskey

Post by baskey » Fri Jun 11, 2004 6:21 am

Thanks unixguru. I also thinking to take contract jobs instead of waiting but before negotiating with terms and conditions with the employer, i would like to know what is the normal accepted practice/ terms and conditions for such a job. so that i better negotiate with this. Also i am afraid, if i get a better job during the contract, will i terminate with immediate notice?.

Also any constrains of extending the visa being jobless at the time of extension despite good bank balance and 6 months of contract job.

Any comments welcome.

Regards,

GwaiLo
Newly Registered

Post by GwaiLo » Sat Jun 12, 2004 12:00 am

A fixed term contract of employment does not legally bind you to work for the whole term, nor does it bind the employer to employing you for the whole term.

The contract itself will normally state the notice period to be given by the employer/employee, but typically this is one month for a monthly paid employee, so if you find a better job it won't be a problem.