ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Possible to study in UK without IELTS

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

abbas_ali
Newly Registered

Possible to study in UK without IELTS

Post by abbas_ali » Mon Sep 13, 2010 1:51 pm

Hi all,

Is it possible to gain entry to a college here to study without IELTS? I asked one college and this is what they said:

"In order to get into the country to study, any applicant requires to have an IELTS of 4.0"

Is this just the college requirements or nationally, meaning there is no chance of entry without IELTS?

achoo
Newly Registered

Post by achoo » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:07 pm

well according to my information its depend on colleges or universities, you might get accepted without ilets if you convince them that your level of english is upto the requirement and also if you had studied before overseas they waved your english requirement

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:10 pm

English language requirements depend on the course of study the applicant intends to pursue in the UK.

Read para 88-95 of the Tier 4 policy guidance. See also Tier 4 - Approved English tests and Secure English language testing.

regards

abbas_ali
Newly Registered

Post by abbas_ali » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:17 pm

hmmm just read this

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... for-tier-4

I have contacted half a dozen colleges and say they all require a minimum of 4.0 IELTS for the ESOL course.

But i get confused when they talk about exclusions for example:

"If a Tier 4 (General) student will be studying a course that is below NQF Level 6 (except a Foundation Degree or an English language course), using a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS) issued on or after 12 August 2010, their Tier 4 sponsor must ensure that they are competent in English language at a minimum of level B1 on the Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) by showing that they:"

What is below NQF Level 6? Is a HNC/HND above this?

Also it says an English language course is excluded, so why are colleges asking for IELTS for ESOL then?

aryarathor0
Newly Registered

Re: Possible to study in UK without IELTS

Post by aryarathor0 » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:05 am

abbas_ali wrote:Hi all,

Is it possible to gain entry to a college here to study without IELTS? I asked one college and this is what they said:

"In order to get into the country to study, any applicant requires to have an IELTS of 4.0"

Is this just the college requirements or nationally, meaning there is no chance of entry without IELTS?
yes its possible to study in uk witbout IELTS..
where about r u ? in India?

abbas_ali
Newly Registered

Re: Possible to study in UK without IELTS

Post by abbas_ali » Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:18 pm

aryarathor0 wrote:
abbas_ali wrote:Hi all,

yes its possible to study in uk witbout IELTS..
where about r u ? in India?
hi it's not for me, its for my cousin in pakistan

saeedusman
Member of Standing

Post by saeedusman » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:00 pm

level B1 is equivalent to IELTS=4.0 (4.0 in all 4 skills). That is the minimum requirement to gain entry into any course in UK, even for foundation degree as well.