ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

can i register my uk born kids as british and how to do that

A section for posts relating to applications for Naturalisation or Registration as a British Citizen. Naturalisation

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Only yours

can i register my uk born kids as british and how to do that

Post by Only yours » Sun Aug 22, 2010 7:53 pm

Hi Everybody,

me and my four kids got ILR last month, can i register my kids as british or can i apply for their british passport.

my kids borned on 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2008 in uk

please tell how to register kids as birtish also when i should apply for my british nationality?

thanks for your time

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:33 pm

Now that you have ILR, you can use forms MN1 to apply for your UK-born children as British Citizens, under section 1(3). Those applications are because of an entitlement ... no UKBA discretion involved .... and it usually takes less than one month for such applications to be processed.

You and Naturalisation? Certainly you cannot apply until you have had your ILR for at least one year.

How about your children's other parent? Have they also got ILR?
John

Only yours

Post by Only yours » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:44 pm

Thanks very much John for your great assistance

kids dad has not got ILR yet, can i still apply for kids registration because i have ILR? he has tier2 visa.

please also make the following clear,

when i get uk nationality after a year following a british passport, can i not get british passports for my kids using my british passport rather than registering them now and then getting passports.

i really appreciate your help

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Aug 23, 2010 1:44 am

Only yours wrote:kids dad has not got ILR yet, can i still apply for kids registration because i have ILR?
Yes, they are entitled to apply for registration.
Only yours wrote:when i get uk nationality after a year following a british passport, can i not get british passports for my kids using my british passport rather than registering them now and then getting passports.
No. They are not British until they are granted registration. Only British citizens may apply for British passports.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:12 am

Only yours, I agree with Vinny's answers.

But as regards "kids dad has not got ILR yet", what is his UK immigration status now? And why have they not got ILR as well?
John

Only yours

Post by Only yours » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:17 am

Hi,

he is on tier 2 visa and should be getting ILR march next year.

i am going to fill form MN1 for registration of kids but on the form there is a section for father that says when he got ILR? what to do about this section as he has not got ILR yet, does that make any difference to kids registration?

please clarify

thank you very much

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:34 am

Answer it correctly, of course. It is irrelevant, in the sense that only one parent needs to have ILR, and it does not matter that the other parent does not have ILR ... yet!
John

zee123
Newly Registered

British Citizenship

Post by zee123 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 3:19 pm

hi, it is very good topic please suggest me some good tips in my case.the case is i am in UK with my family on student Visa status.now my wife give a birth to my son.can i apply for british citizenship on the behalf of my newly born son.please let me more informed about it.does my visa status of student will hurt the British citizenship.

Only yours

Post by Only yours » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:07 pm

Thanks very much john and vinny

Only yours

Post by Only yours » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:54 pm

hi,

do i need to fill four separate MN1 forms for my four kids for registration or one form will do?

thanks

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:27 pm

One form needed per child. But submit all the forms together at the same time and it is distinctly cheaper.
John

vinny

Re: British Citizenship

Post by vinny » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:23 am

zee123 wrote:hi, it is very good topic please suggest me some good tips in my case.the case is i am in UK with my family on student Visa status.now my wife give a birth to my son.can i apply for british citizenship on the behalf of my newly born son.please let me more informed about it.does my visa status of student will hurt the British citizenship.
What's your wife's UK immigration status at the time of the child's birth and now?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.

Only yours

one sided printed form mn1 ok?

Post by Only yours » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:20 am

Hi

can i print form mn1 one sided from ukba site, is it acceptable? or do i need to request from nationality office

vinny

Post by vinny » Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:34 am

Help with downloading application forms wrote:You can print a form and complete it by hand.
May also use the free PDF-XChange Viewer's typewriter function to fill data in a PDF file.

Only yours

Post by Only yours » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:26 am

Hi,

sorry to disturb again,

i am still in doubt for applying kids british registration.
just to rebrief, all kids born here. me and partner pakistani nationals

me and kids got ILR in last july, partner has not got ILR yet (he has tier2 visa)

i was reading form mn1 guide and it does not make me clear that only one parent need ILR to qualify for kids registration.

Guide says parents need to be settled here (section 1(3))

please can you calrify again?

thanks for your time

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:42 am

Only yours wrote:Guide says parents need to be settled here (section 1(3))
Parent, not parents.
Section 1(3) applications - children born in the United Kingdom to parents who are now settled in the United Kingdom wrote:If the child's parent has become settled in the United Kingdom or becomes a British citizen, the child will have an entitlement to register as a British citizen. This registration would be under section 1(3) of the British Nationality Act 1981.

regards

Only yours

Post by Only yours » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:18 pm

thanks very much for reply,

i am filling in form mn1 under section 1(3), all kids bornd in uk, me and kids got ILR last july, partner has not got yet.

please can any body check, have i filled in all required sections?

i have filled in the following sections in form mn1

section 1
1.1 to 1.6
1.10 to 1.16
1.21 to 1.26
1.30 to 1.36

section 5
section 6 and section 7.

i do not think any thing else in the form relevant to this application, but request if someone can check before i post the application. also how to send fee with application

thanks very much for your time

Only yours

Post by Only yours » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:19 am

hi,

when the fee increasing for mn1 applications, i am applying for kids in early next month

thanks