ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Data Warehousing - Datastage Job Market in UK

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

suds19

Re: Data Warehousing - Datastage Job Market in UK

Post by suds19 » Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:12 pm

nkrdwh wrote:Hello,

I am having 6+ years of experience in IT and 5+ years on Datastage ETL tool and I am planning to move to the UK on a Tier-1 Visa. How is the job market for Datastage professionals in the UK?

Thanks,
NKR
Datastage market - http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/jobs/uk/datastage.do

Matching permanent IT job ads
Year 2010 - 221
Year 2009 - 65
Year 2008 - 290

Cheers

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:03 pm

nkrdwh wrote:
aspirant99 wrote: Sure!!...And we will be happy to help..

Meanwhile you can search the forum for pointers, search websites/job portals and can ask questions stating your circumstances like you are still to apply for visa etc.

Why I am saying this because if you have stated that you are going to apply and wanted info on job scenarios in your thread then the members would have advised you to get the start date of your visa somewhere after January(if possible) depending on when you are applying as the job market is somewhat thin from nov to jan...I am sure that would have helped you to decide!!..good luck!!
Thanks for your wishes and your info:). Sure I will get back to you guys once my VISA is done and the travel date is confirmed. Till then I will not disturb you :lol:
Hello Everybody,

I got my Tier-1 VISA last week and I am planning to travel UK in 1st week of January. I have gone through some of the UK job portal and it looks like there are some openings for Datastage professionals.

Now I would request somebody in this forum to share your thoughts on the UK market for Data ware housing professionals especially Datastage and Cognos professionals? Also will January be the right time to travel UK or Do I need to wait some more time?

Since my friends in UK are working on different domain so I am posting this question in this forum. Appreciate your valuable responses.

Thanks,
NKR

sapvish

Post by sapvish » Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:43 am

Now the job market is picking up quite well. But you need to be in UK to test the requirements 4 your skill sets. Or get a skype number, float ur CV and look for recruiter's respose from your home country.

There are couple of my friends who are trying fr jobs now, I dont think its completely true that recruitments dont happen during end of the year. The numbers might reduce due to holiday season but no hard and fast rule...

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:01 am

nkrdwh wrote:I got my Tier-1 VISA last week and I am planning to travel UK in 1st week of January.

Also will January be the right time to travel UK or Do I need to wait some more time?
On a normal year you would've been fine as recruitments picks up from the second week of January - however this year I'd advice to travel as soon as possible and not wait until January. From November mass lay-offs will start in public sector (after the cuts will be announced on the 20th of October), and by January I'd imagine there will be a huge influx of new candidates which are used to low salaries (they are from public sector afterall) and desperate for a job...

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks a lot Sapvish and Wunder for your valuable suggestions.

Found quite a number of Datastage jobs in UK when I looked into some of the UK job portals. Can we evaluate the UK market for Datastage jobs based upon the jobs found in the job portals?

If its true, I can see around 100 to 120 Datastage jobs from job portals and I feel that there is a good chance to get a job.

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:17 am

nkrdwh wrote:Can we evaluate the UK market for Datastage jobs based upon the jobs found in the job portals?
I'm afraid not - most of those jobs are not real and just advertisements for recruitment agencies. And those few that are real usually duplicated many times on different websites and even same website but for different agencies.

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Tue Sep 21, 2010 10:30 am

wunder wrote:
nkrdwh wrote:Can we evaluate the UK market for Datastage jobs based upon the jobs found in the job portals?
I'm afraid not - most of those jobs are not real and just advertisements for recruitment agencies. And those few that are real usually duplicated many times on different websites and even same website but for different agencies.
Then how could we get an idea of the real market?

One option I can think for now is to take a Skype number and float the profile on the job portals.

Do you see any other options to understand the market before landing there?

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:10 pm

nkrdwh wrote:One option I can think for now is to take a Skype number and float the profile on the job portals.
That's pretty much the only way - you can also chat to agents, but they tend to tell you rubbish if they don't know you personally.

aspirant99
Member of Standing

Post by aspirant99 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:37 pm

nkrdwh wrote:
wunder wrote:
Then how could we get an idea of the real market?

One option I can think for now is to take a Skype number and float the profile on the job portals.

Do you see any other options to understand the market before landing there?
Correct, get a skype number, float your CV around and be patient!! Make sure that when you are applying on jobsites the address should preferably a UK address..Also I would suggest that if and when you get a call be flexible to be in the UK which might be before Jan'11.

Also if you got friends in the UK who are working there already then get them to send you some of the agent's contact so that you can directly start sending CVs to them and call them if necessary...good luck!!

nkrdwh
Newly Registered

Post by nkrdwh » Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:58 pm

Thank You for all your suggestions.