ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Specific questions on filling out VAF1 for EC

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

geekboy
Newly Registered

Specific questions on filling out VAF1 for EC

Post by geekboy » Mon Apr 03, 2006 6:47 am

Hi All,

I recently received my approval letter for HSMP stage 1 (thanks to the advice given here and on other websites).

I'm about to apply for EC and would appreciate some advice on filling out the VAF1, specifically:

> Q5.1 - How long do you intend to stay in the UK?

Under the application for HSMP (stage 1) we declare that we intend to make the UK our home, so you could argue that "Permanently" would be a valid answer for 5.1.

However, is it more realistic/safer to state "A period of several years under the terms of the HSMP"?

> Q5.3 - Why are you going to the UK?

I am moving as my partner lives in the UK (we haven't been together long enough to claim spouse visa).

However, is it preferable to state "To further my career" rather than "To live with my partner"? Or should I state both? I am including a letter of support from her in my application as we will be living together.

Many thanks in advance...

rella

Re: Specific questions on filling out VAF1 for EC

Post by rella » Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:14 pm

geekboy wrote:Hi All,
> Q5.1 - How long do you intend to stay in the UK?

Under the application for HSMP (stage 1) we declare that we intend to make the UK our home, so you could argue that "Permanently" would be a valid answer for 5.1.

However, is it more realistic/safer to state "A period of several years under the terms of the HSMP"?
You state the exact amount of time that you get for the initial stay. Is it 2 years now? It was one year until recently. I know that's confusing, since you are supposed to want to make the UK your permanent home, but you can only say you plan to stay for the period of your first visa.
> Q5.3 - Why are you going to the UK?
Just keep it short and sweet and generic. Say, "To live and to work." That was what we were advised and it worked for us.

geekboy
Newly Registered

Post by geekboy » Wed Apr 05, 2006 12:02 am

Thanks for your reply Rella.

It may be that there are some regional differences at work here. I'm in New Zealand, and the local British High Commission runs a user-pays telephone enquiry line for visa-related enquiries.

I called the line and posed the same questions, their answers were that suitable responses are:

Q5.1 - Indefinitely.

Q5.3 - Career advancement.

So, I've just lodged my EC application with those responses. I'll let you know how I get on.

geekboy
Newly Registered

Post by geekboy » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:28 am

Just heard from British High Commission that my EC has been approved.

Good luck to all other applicants!

HiMate

Post by HiMate » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:28 am

Hi Geekboy,

What did you mentioned for those two questions and Is visa stamped for 2 years.

Thanks,
Himate

geekboy
Newly Registered

Post by geekboy » Wed Apr 12, 2006 12:17 am

Hey Himate,

I answered them exactly with the advice I had been given:

Q5.1 - Indefinitely.

Q5.3 - Career advancement.

They called me on Monday to say that visa was ready and passport available for collection.

I went in on Tuesday and as I was checking the visa noticed that it was only for a 1 year period. I queried this, and when they checked they agreed they had made a mistake and would re-issue the visa for 2 years. They did this overnight.

I went back in today (Wednesday) to collect the new visa, issued for 2 years.

Lucky for me that I was aware of the change in rules!