ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalisation for child

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

SubChand1
Newly Registered

Naturalisation for child

Post by SubChand1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:38 am

Hi All

I am going to apply for naturalisation soon and have few doubts, hope someone in simillar situation could give me suggestions.

we are Indian nationals, I and my wife have ILR for last one year. Our daughter was born three months ago. We have not applied for a Indian passport for our daughter and we would like to apply for british passport directly since she is British by birth.

Now I am going to apply for british citizenship and then apply for PIO or OCI. My wife will continue to have Indian citizenship. Will my daughter is also eligible for OCI?.

Is that a good idea to get Indian passport for our daughter first and as soon as we have Indian passport then apply for british passport and then PIO or OCI. Will this have any advantage in future for our daughter(holder of indian passport once upon a time factor)

We have travel plans which we must make in july this year so I need to get these things sorted our ASAP. I am confused now and would like to decide on the best way to deal with this situation. Any advice/suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
SubChand

basis

Re: Naturalisation for child

Post by basis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:47 am

SubChand1 wrote:Hi All

I am going to apply for naturalisation soon and have few doubts, hope someone in simillar situation could give me suggestions.

we are Indian nationals, I and my wife have ILR for last one year. Our daughter was born three months ago. We have not applied for a Indian passport for our daughter and we would like to apply for british passport directly since she is British by birth.

Now I am going to apply for british citizenship and then apply for PIO or OCI. My wife will continue to have Indian citizenship. Will my daughter is also eligible for OCI?.
Yes Your daughter is eligible for PIO as well OCI. Choice is yours.
SubChand1 wrote:Is that a good idea to get Indian passport for our daughter first and as soon as we have Indian passport then apply for british passport and then PIO or OCI. Will this have any advantage in future for our daughter(holder of indian passport once upon a time factor)
Considering you anyway want to go for British Passport for your daughter - it will perhaps add more hassles and no perceivable benefits. Better to go for British Passport straight. And get OCI.

However, if you are contemplating whether to go for ROA in your daughter's Indian passport and do not apply for her UK passport then of course you need to go for Indian passport.

July travel very much possible - may be a little tight on your BC and PIO / OCI front. Good luck.

SubChand1
Newly Registered

Post by SubChand1 » Wed Mar 15, 2006 10:54 am

thank you basis for your kind reply.

If I apply for my naturalisation before end of this month hopfully if I get natualised before june I can get a PIO card in 15 days(as stated in high commission website). My problem will solved.

For my daughter if I get a british passport now and immediately apply for OCI can I get it before end of june?.

will my application in process for BC will have any Interference or impact on my daughters OCI processing.

thanks a lot
Subchand

basis

Post by basis » Wed Mar 15, 2006 11:03 am

SubChand1 wrote:thank you basis for your kind reply.

If I apply for my naturalisation before end of this month hopfully if I get natualised before june I can get a PIO card in 15 days(as stated in high commission website). My problem will solved.
Remember it is 15 working days...i.e. three weeks and they DO that in that time as long as the case is straightforward. In fact in my case they did it in two weeks when I showed them confirmed urgent travel plan for legitimate reasons.
SubChand1 wrote: For my daughter if I get a british passport now and immediately apply for OCI can I get it before end of june?.

The current experience shows it takes approx two months from date of application to get OCI. The things on OCI front are improving so it shold be quicker. So looks you will be ok for June end. Otherwise you can go for PIO for your daughter as well (it is cheaper for minors GBP 115 against GBP 165) and later convert both yours and her PIO to OCI at nominal fee (GBP 12 I think). So you have choices....dont worry.
SubChand1 wrote: will my application in process for BC will have any Interference or impact on my daughters OCI processing.
None.....and even more because your wife is keeping her Indian citizenship.

But I think better would be to go for PIO for both you and daughter. It is cheaper, faster and you would be sure to hit your target dates. And convert PIO to OCI at a later date. Again choice is yours. Good luck.

SubChand1
Newly Registered

Post by SubChand1 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:08 pm

Thanks to all of you for your precious replies. we have now received british passport for our daughter and we would like to apply for PIO card or if possible OCI given the travel plans we have in july.

Could some tell us if we need to produce the original passports of parents(mywife and I) for applying PIO or OCI for our daughter.

If we have to submit our original passports, would they retain it processing the application and give it back to us after accepting the application.

I greatly appreciate any advice on this.

Many thanks
Subchand