ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

HSMP for doctors

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fpvt2

HSMP for doctors

Post by fpvt2 » Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:18 pm

I have a question regarding applying for HSMP as a doctor. Can you include your internship experience as the work experience to be counted in HSMP point ? My internship are for 2 years, and it is unpaid work at the teaching hospital.

When I read the Case worker guideline on Work Experience, it says the following:
Internship: this pos is not graduate level as it is undertaken as part of their undergraduate study
But, then it continue saying:
These grades are graduate level:
Pre Registration House Officer: the first level of training after a doctor has graduated

The above 2 statements contradict each other, because Pre Registration House Officer is Internship. That's why I was confused.

My internship was undertaken after I get my Bachelor of Medicine. After the internship I received Medical Doctor degree.
Do you think my internship can be counted toward the work experience ?

Thanks.

shreem

Post by shreem » Sun Apr 09, 2006 8:01 pm

House jobs or Internships, as they are called in many countries, is the equivalent of the pre-registration house officer post in the UK. If the case worker guidance lists the pre-registration house officer post as graduate experience, so is the internship.

Sometimes, an internship is also undertaken in year 2/3/4 of the medical degree in some countries. This will however not count as graduate experience.

So the real query is: Did you do your internship after your final exam or did you do it during your early years? If your intern post is post qualification, then it should count as graduate experience as stated in the case worker guidance.

fpvt2

Post by fpvt2 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:30 pm

Thank you for your reply.

>Did you do your internship after your final exam or did you do it during your early years?

We went thru 4 year of medical school, sit on an exam, then receive our Bachelor of Medicine degree. Then we go thru 2 year of unpaid internship in the teaching hospital, then sit on another exam (this one is oral exam, clinical exam), then receive our Doctor of Medicine degree.

So, in this case, can I count the internship as graduate experience ?

Thanks.

Cool

Post by Cool » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:08 am

I'm not sure your period of internship would count towards graduate experience, it seems to have been an integral part of your undergraduate experience. Let's consider these:

1. In your System, at what stage is someone considered a qualified medical doctor i.e. at what stage do you become FULLY registered with your Medical Council - after the Bachelor of Medicine or after the Doctor of Medicine?

2. Usually, post-registration internships are paid employment.

3. In the Systems I'm conversant with, Oral exam is undertaken before the qualifying degree is awarded.

Just my thoughts.

fpvt2

Post by fpvt2 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:29 pm

1. In your System, at what stage is someone considered a qualified medical doctor i.e. at what stage do you become FULLY registered with your Medical Council - after the Bachelor of Medicine or after the Doctor of Medicine?

Neither, you will be registered after you go to the rural area for a few years, then you will have your license.
The internship is after undergraduate (after Bachelor of Medicine).