ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job Opportunities in Backup and Storage technologies

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

pyare_16
Newly Registered
India

Job Opportunities in Backup and Storage technologies

Post by pyare_16 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:51 pm

Hello All,

I've got my tier 1 visa last week, i was looking through the forum for specific skill set job openings and could not find one matching my skill set.

I would appreciate if some one can guide me with the current scenario in this particular field, i know it falls under IT :-) and there are lot of competition, but IT has several Domains and each one has their own requirements and demands.

I've my Visa starting from November, i saw in some old threads that November would not be a advisable month to come to UK as most of the employers would be planing their holidays and wont be available for the next two months. If that is the case which month i can land in UK to secure interviews and then the job :-)

Also, if any one aware of job openings in (Netbackup / Netapp / EMC clarrion / symmetrix, Brocade/McData SAN switches, Linux / AIX )please let me know. I've got 4.5 years of experience. Have done OCP (oracle) certification but don't have real time experience.

pyare_16
Newly Registered
India

Post by pyare_16 » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:15 pm

All, please help me out, no one know about this technology requirement status in UK?

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:34 pm

Pyare,

I cannot comment on the technology part but about timing your move to the UK then Nov is not as good a time as say Feb/March.

And yes, there are loads of reasons not to come in Nov - Search for some of my earlier threads and you will find details. To stand a better chance of securing a job in a shorter time frame, its best to come here only in Feb or later. Please note that doesnt mean there are NO jobs at all between Nov and Jan - it's just more difficult that other months of the year.

The final choice is yours but to give you more options to pick from its best to avoid the winter season.
Hope other members can advice about your specific technology and domain

All the best
KP

pyare_16
Newly Registered
India

Post by pyare_16 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:03 pm

Thanks for the reply KP, yes i read them and wold prefer coming there by end of Jan, was just worried that i would be wasting my visa period for 2 months... I think of coming to UK by December and learn the ways of survival and the means of communication and get contacts int at two months time. Also i heard it's Christmas time and part time jobs are paid double there.... :-) hope it would be fun if i come there .....

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:13 pm

pyare_16 wrote: Also i heard it's Christmas time and part time jobs are paid double there.... :-) hope it would be fun if i come there .....
Only on Xmas day generally and then only bar work/ASDA etc - most other places are closed for the festivities. And I think taking one of those jobs at that time straight off the plane would send anyone over the edge and back home on the next one...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

pyare_16
Newly Registered
India

Post by pyare_16 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 7:51 pm

Very True..... i wasn't thinking of just that double salary .... and straight to work from plane :-).... there are other positive things according to me and that's what i meant....

kenfrapin

Post by kenfrapin » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:39 pm

pyare_16 wrote:Thanks for the reply KP, yes i read them and wold prefer coming there by end of Jan, was just worried that i would be wasting my visa period for 2 months... I think of coming to UK by December and learn the ways of survival and the means of communication and get contacts int at two months time. Also i heard it's Christmas time and part time jobs are paid double there.... :-) hope it would be fun if i come there .....
Trust me - the concept of building contacts is worthless unless
1. You have friends here working in good positions who can push your resume

...And that's it unfortunately. There is nothing you can find on the internet being where you are now and being in the UK. Say you come in Nov, you have to spend the gruesome winter months here...shell rent n expenses for 2 months upto Jan with no guarantee of any work...
There is nothing to learn here in terms of communication that merits 2 months of jobless stay here.....means of survival is nothing and is the same whenever you come - you need a place to stay thats all and that doesnt change whichever month you come.

Your Tier 1 is for 2/3 years so not sure what you mean by wasting it??? If you have a job and delay your arrival then you are losing that many months salary but otherwise it makes NO difference if you come in Nov or Feb......specifically for extending your visa, the Govt only asks for the last 12 months payslips so make sure you are here before you hit the last 12 months of your visa..

As for jobs on double pay - that is only for 25th and 26th Dec and for 1st Jan - my bet is there are enough people in the company to work for that money as they themselves want the money. Companies wont recruit an outsider just for those 3 or 5 days so forget about double pays

You need to think this through...happy to help if you need further info

KP

wunder
Member of Standing

Post by wunder » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:33 am

I think we need a FAQ for this forum - specifically saying that people should avoid December/January for job searches, and schedule start dates of their visas regardless (if it is possible - in my time I managed to postpone start of my HSMP visa by 2.5 months so it would not start in December or January).

Pria
Newly Registered

Post by Pria » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:14 pm

Hey pyare..

were u able to find sumthing about netbackup...??
my husband is into the same domain and i have been desperately searching for those jobs in UK but other than one or two jobs i can rarely find anything..i havent yet applied for the visa...was just looking at the job market for his domain n it seemed sorta sad..

pyare_16
Newly Registered
India

Post by pyare_16 » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:09 pm

Pria,

There were jobs for netbackup, but unfortunately the requirement was not just for netbackup. It was combined with other technologies, like AIX or Storage or windows. From the look of the job postings online i see requirement for netbackup technology alone was nil. It's my finding, but there will be openings for sure for any technology in UK market. It might require some agent there to check for us, it's like once you upload your resume you might receive emails / calls from different agents from consultancies. But for me i've not received any as of now. I got a private message from one of the member in this forum, but i'm not aware of his details. I'm yet to reply him with my job description and my domain knowledge. Best i feel is to fine tune the resume and try to know more consultancies there in uk and get help from them. I've requested my friends in UK for such links, and i'll post them here if the agent is ok to give away his contact details to the world. All the best for the visa Proceedings....

Pyare

Pria
Newly Registered

Post by Pria » Sat Sep 25, 2010 3:16 pm

Thanks Dear...that helps...and yes plz update me if u are able to find sumthing..Good luck to u too with job hunt..!