ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Tier-1 General less than 2 years remaining - mortgage issue

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

NishantJ
Newly Registered

Tier-1 General less than 2 years remaining - mortgage issue

Post by NishantJ » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:03 am

Hi All,

I am on Tier-1 General.
I first got HSMP for 2 years and then I got Tier-1 for 3 years.
As of today I have just less than 2 years of Tier-1 general visa remaining.

The only bank that is ready to give me mortgage says that I need to have at least 2 years on my visa for it to give me a mortgage offer.

My question is: Can I apply for an extension of 1 year, now, so that I have more than 2 years remaining on my visa?

Thanks,
Nishant

email257525
BANNED

Hi

Post by email257525 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 6:54 am

As far as I learn from this forum, people normally apply two to five months in advance, only in 3-4 cases people apply extention in 6-12 months in advance and got the visa. But they had genuine reasons like New employer requires two or one years visa in hand before offer the job.

You can apply if you want but the chances are deem, I would recommend wait for the some more time. otherwise you may end up either losing the application fee or HO will grant you the visa valid from the date of application rather from date of expiry of your last visa.

I beleive Visa is more important than mortgage,
I am in the same kind of situations,,,,

NishantJ
Newly Registered

Re: Hi

Post by NishantJ » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:27 pm

So you are saying that there is a chance that HO can grant me a visa but it can also be from the application date and of shorter period that what I already have.

that is a scary though.

Anyone please there with similar first hand experience?

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:32 pm

Search the forum and you'll find quite a few "first hand" experiences posted.

regards

need_a_tier1

Post by need_a_tier1 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 4:00 pm

Just to share my experience, I have nearly an year left on my Tier-1 visa (after which I need to apply for ILR or PC - depending on the rules at that point).

Recently my partner's job interview was curtailed unexpectedly after the interviewer learnt that the Tier-1 dependant visa has only an year's validity left.

And yes, I was asked the same question (length of visa validity) by a mortgage advisor couple of years back.

NishantJ
Newly Registered

Post by NishantJ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:00 pm

sushdmehta wrote:Search the forum and you'll find quite a few "first hand" experiences posted.
I have searched on this forum and on other forums as well.
This is what I found:

- I can apply early for an extension, even if I have slightly less than 2 years remaining on my Tier-1 visa.
- I will have to meet the regular tier-1 eligibility.
- If everything is fine, I will get a visa of 2 years.
- However my existing visa will get void

So at the end I will be left with exactly 2 years of visa, but my bank says at least 2 years :-(

Is there any chance that I would be able to get slightly more than 2 years, or get 2 years from the time my existing visa expires?

Please help.

*FC*
Member of Standing

Post by *FC* » Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:57 pm

No matter whatever it is, I had this first hand experience with the Home office last week with an early extension of 6 months. And the date of issue was the DATE OF APPLICATION and not THE DATE OF EXPIRY.

I confirmed this with the Case worker and he informed me that all the PEOs and Case workers have clear instructions recently to provide an extension from the DATE OF APPLICATION. :roll:

I feel safe though, since I spent a year on Work permit before I switched to Tier 1 and I will anyways complete 5 years before this new permit expires.

FC

geriatrix
United Kingdom

Post by geriatrix » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:45 pm

NishantJ wrote:Is there any chance that I would be able to get slightly more than 2 years
It's 3+2 or 2+3. If anything different, then it is an error.

regards

NishantJ
Newly Registered

Post by NishantJ » Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:49 pm

I have already got:

2 years of HSMP
Then 3 years of Tier-1.

So if my understanding is correct next is ILR at the end of 5 years, OR if now extension of 2 years from date of application.

Thanks Guys for all the help.

letmec2006

hi

Post by letmec2006 » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:25 pm

I do understand your position. But few things I was thinking for your case,

Would you get extension for 2 years or 1 year perhaps, since HO may consider further extension for ILR lack but would they consider in case of applying for mortgage.

Secondly, mortgage itself
There are couple of banks like Halifax and Natwest which do consider giving mortgage for people with less than 2 years

While there is too much of fear about "house price crash" in next few months can you not consider saving until you get your ILR, means more deposit and less interest rate (though it depends on your personal circumstances).

MPO may be I am wrong.