ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Please help, got some questions!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Antforest
Newly Registered

Please help, got some questions!

Post by Antforest » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:04 am

Hi guys, I am sorry if this post is long please bear with me :)

OK, so I have lived in New Zealand for 3, approaching 4 years (just finished University) and I now have decided I want to return to the UK - I have a British passport with a New Zealand permanent residency.
(I'm 23, have been in NZ since I was 20, was born in the north east)

I am on a fairly tight budget - I think I will have about 2,500 pounds to start myself up.

Now my questions are this:

What documents if any do I need to return?
How do I get any documents I need to work in the UK?
Do you think 2,500 is enough to get a flat for, say, a month or two until I can get a job? - I want to live on the outskirts of Newcastle and get the train to work.

Basically guys...I have absolutely no idea about what I need to do when moving back home (when I came to NZ it was a free ride, my family moved and offered me a place so I came)

Since I was born in the UK I reckon I will be able to just 'walk right in' right?

Another thing that is bugging me is where will I go once out of the airport? Will I be able to pick up a flat before coming to the UK? Can you guys offer any advice on this also?

So, I am apprehensive about 'starting' my life basically and any advice about starting to live and work back home will be appreciated, thank you guys - also I have worked part time in NZ for 2 years.

Thank you very, very much guys - all and any help is greatly appreciated!

:wink:

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:46 am

Since I was born in the UK I reckon I will be able to just 'walk right in' right?
Well not because you were born in the UK, but because you have a British passport. At the port of entry queue up in the EEA/Swiss queue like all other British Citizens. All they will go is to quickly check your passport is valid, and not a forgery, and then let you through ... no questions.

Work in the UK? Just show your British passport.

Flat rental before you arrive in the UK? You might struggle with that, but no harm in trying.

Have you got a job to go to? If not it might take you a while to find one, and a delay would be the biggest pressure on your budget.

You have no family you can stay with, at least initially?
John

Antforest
Newly Registered

Post by Antforest » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:39 am

How do John, thank you for the swift response!

I think I may be able to live with family initially - for a month or two

I don't want to get stuck in a rut though because they live in Middlesbrough and when I left it was fairly difficult to find a job, I can only imagine what it is like now!

What I want is to work/live in Newcastle and worry that if I found a job in M'bro I might end up being stuck there for longer than I want.

Thank you again for the response!

One more quick question if I may, where would I go about finding out things like my IRD number?
Oh, and out of curiosity - I do not want to live in a council house (bad experiences) but for a time it may help with expenses - would I be eligible for a council house? If so how long does it take to acquire?

Thank you! :)