ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

'Income that cannot be considered' - What about my case?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

frenchglen
Newly Registered

'Income that cannot be considered' - What about my case?

Post by frenchglen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:24 pm

I'm a non-EEA musician looking to apply for UK Tier 1 (General). I have been under a Post-study work visa for two years.

I have a question about what I can include as my income. Please see the sources below. I am a freelance self-employed musician and have not had a very conventional income stream. I have indeed gained some income from musical work, but the majority of my 'income' in the last 12 months has actually come from:

- Grant funding (from philanthropic foundations)
- Tax-deductible donations from individuals (which DO count as taxable income on my tax return as they are administered to me as grants which give tax deduction to the people who gave me the money)
- Prize money from musical competitions, competitive awards, etc. (sometimes termed as 'scholarships')

All this money is deposited into my bank account and included on my tax returns as 'tax-deductible income', but my worry is the phrase in the guidelines (here), "Unearned income from sources such as those listed below, will not be considered, as it is has not been earned through employment."

The guidelines don't say anything about my examples above. I assume that prize money earned from competitions and competitive awards might pass as earned income, but I wonder if donations (even though they are taxable and given to me as 'grants') are allowed. All a bit grey area, it might seem...

I am sure ringing up to get answer from a govt employee would help but I think this forum may be of great help too.

Am I fine (with my sources above)?

Thanks for your help!
Glen

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:11 pm

You need the current guidance here:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... idance.pdf

frenchglen
Newly Registered

Post by frenchglen » Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:54 pm

thank you, that cleared it up!!!