ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

T1G visaholder detained at Heathrow - will it happen again?

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ajax
Newly Registered

T1G visaholder detained at Heathrow - will it happen again?

Post by ajax » Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:53 pm

My friend has a Pakistan passport and has been in the UK on a T1PSW visa, which expires in a few months. Several weeks ago, he applied for (within the UK) and was given a two-year T1G visa. The accompanying letter with the T1G visa said that his T1PSW visa was now null and void, although this was was not marked as such on the T1PSW visa in his passport.

The last time my friend passed through immigration control at LHR (a few weeks ago), the border guard asked him some strange questions, including "Have you ever had trouble with immigration before?" (He had not.) She also was looking at his T1PSW visa (its expiry date had not yet arrived but it had been superseded by the more-recent T1G visa) until he corrected her.

She gave him a slip of paper and told him she was temporarily suspending his leave to remain and that she was detaining him, and asked him to wait in the little waiting area over to the side. She said that there were some "technical issues." After about half an hour, she came back and said "Thanks, we just wanted to check that you are not somebody we are looking for," and returned his passport with a stamp and with entry granted. He then proceeded through to baggage claim.

Is this is something he should worry about? He is quite perplexed about what happened. Is this likely to happen again? Will it affect my friend's ability to clear immigration controls the next time he enters the UK? Should he take any precautions before he enters the UK again?

FWIW, all of his documents for the T1G visa were completely genuine and there was no suggestion of forgery or fraudulence in the application process.

Many thanks.

vinny

Re: T1G visaholder detained at Heathrow - will it happen aga

Post by vinny » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:15 pm

ajax wrote:She said that there were some "technical issues." After about half an hour, she came back and said "Thanks, we just wanted to check that you are not somebody we are looking for," and returned his passport with a stamp and with entry granted. He then proceeded through to baggage claim
Perhaps he has a similar name to someone that they are concerned with?
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:26 pm

And therefore no guarantee that it would not happen again.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

ajax
Newly Registered

Post by ajax » Fri Oct 01, 2010 11:36 pm

push wrote:And therefore no guarantee that it would not happen again.
True, true. But surely they could amend his record saying that he is not that individual...?

I guess more than anything, we want to know if anyone else had ever had this experience (or something similar) and has had further bad experiences coming through immigration - or if, perhaps, the woman was not being entirely truthful with my friend.

blackthunder
Newly Registered

Post by blackthunder » Sat Oct 02, 2010 7:02 am

Does his name resembles like BIN LADEN or MULLA OMAR ? :lol:

pravinsangwan
Newly Registered

Post by pravinsangwan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 8:22 am

I think Its absolutely normal, as when I was at Heathrow 2 years back same thing happened to me as well.. they took my passport and asked me to wait.. when I reached the Border Check their were almost 100 people on 3 to 4 counters may be more they all went through.. within say 15 to 20 mins.. But even after 40 mins I was sitting there & waiting to Check-IN..
After more thn 50 mins to an Hour Officer came did the Stamping and all..
& I was IN.. No Issues during my Stay!!!
So just relax.. If ur Clean thyl leave you clean...!!!